2024 - UI Modernization

JuanP

3 minutes ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

It might be something tied to Windows.  Here's what my view bar looks like in Regular Mode:

image.thumb.png.abee38791f4aef7dfcff3c438b90c017.png

And here's in Compact Mode:

image.thumb.png.99f94813441c887f3a5cfa871232514c.png

All of the drop-down menus are extremely short and can't currently be resized.  This makes compact mode next to useless for me.

Ah right I think I saw another post about this. Yes must be Windows specific. Everything gets squished to one side rather than spread out evenly across the full width (which is what happens with me). Not good.

• Like 1

Also, it took a little fiddling, but you can totally have the VW2023 tool icons in VW2024.  The process is more than a little wonky and has to do with modifying the Vectorworks Resource File (very much not recommended unless you really know what you are doing), but it's technically doable.  Can't do anything about the Toolset icons since they were VWR resources in VW2023.

image.png.befb3e299b0f03883521ccc9edfa3759.png

If you are interested in doing this, DM me and I can help you out.  It's probably for the very best that I not post the steps on the public forum in case someone borks their Vectorworks trying to follow along.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2023 at 7:30 AM, Shortnort said:

UI is extremely important and should be created to allow users to quickly find and use the necessary tools.  VW2023 I found quite easy to navigate.  VW2024 is a strain on the eyes to figure out what the icon "means" and there is such a lack of consistency in icon colors.  As a compromise, why not allow the users to use the old icons and be done with it? In my opinion it is not debatable as to the readability difference in 2023 vs 2024.  Even the smaller 2023 below is easier to comprehend.

This has been my feedback for over a year. Lots of others for nearly a year. The powers that be are reading everyone's feedback, so whether you love it or hate it, everyone should speak now or forever hold their peace.

• Like 2
On 10/29/2023 at 2:30 PM, Shortnort said:

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I feel strongly about always improving software and not keeping things the same for the sake of existing users, but I don't feel particularly strongly about the new colours of the icons.

In fact my favourite sets do have a highlight colour, such as 3D Modelling and Furn/Fixtures. I actually think these are the most successful ones. A single colour ensures the interface is not distracting while also helping to differentiate each icon, and I'd be more than happy to see the likes of View/Draw and Building Shell receive this treatment.

In fact my preference would be for the View/Draw set to have the same highlight colour that is controlled by system accent colour, like some of the icons are in the Toolbar.

Building Shell could perhaps have a muted orange highlight colour or something.

I quite like the Site Planning one too, which successfully uses a few colours without getting out of control, but my general preference is to keep it to one.

• Like 3

I haven't started using VW2024 regularly yet so can't say whether the new icons are better or worse in terms of usability. I'd expect it to take me a little while to get used to them, that's fine.

Purely aesthetically, I find them mostly an improvement. There obviously has been a decision to go with a monochrome look, with one potential highlight colour per icon. But it seems to have been applied in an inconsistent way. Some toolsets are almost entirely monochrome. Some have a highlight colour that's common to the set. But then some seem to have been randomly allowed a highlight while others haven't.

The typically maddening VW UI inconsistency strikes again! Is it because the job is not quite finished?

• Like 3

Great comments!!!  I find VW 2024 a great improvement, overall.  I am still hunting for tools, etc., but that is not my concern/issue.

Either go all in or out with the new icons.  If the icons used in 2024 were a college project, in my opinion you would fail.  The icons are not consistent in detail, color/no color, outlined/not outlined.  The icon for a building is quite clumsy looking, the 3d icon appears to be a deforming tool, etc.  Again, the icons appear a step back in time when computers were limited in pixels available - like in the Mario Brothers game (but without colors):

image.png.12dbaaf0aeaf34bf964d33e0a94318d7.png

• Laugh 1
23 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Ah right I think I saw another post about this. Yes must be Windows specific. Everything gets squished to one side rather than spread out evenly across the full width (which is what happens with me). Not good.

I'd really like to be able to justify right/left , up/down the toolsets in their containers

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, Mark Aceto said:

This has been my feedback for over a year. Lots of others for nearly a year. The powers that be are reading everyone's feedback, so whether you love it or hate it, everyone should speak now or forever hold their peace.

I'm hold my peace.

It seems saying things doesn't fix things or just gets you banned as I recently found out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally downloaded VW24 and am thrilled with the option of making the UI text larger, thank you!  However, I'm really used to changing the view in the upper right corner of the screen and it looks like we can't customize layout of the View Bar.  That can't be right, is it?  Regarding Black and white versus color icons, that seems like it should be a user preference.  I'm looking all over trying to find out how to adjust the icons and view bar and the options seem rather limited....  Come on VW, we don't have time for this!  

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/30/2023 at 3:21 PM, Philip Humphrey said:

Oddly the "Control Sizes" Option does not show up in my dialog box?

Additionally I'm having font size issues in dialog boxes as well.

Any thoughts - Thank you,

VW241.thumb.png.b6ad32bd019791497b0a21cd61934d9f.pngScreenshot2023-11-09151314.png.f84d0062788821a18f6a067a9cdbb4e0.png

That's a bug. Thanks for letting us know! Could you share your screen resolution and UI scale preferences from your Windows settings as a screenshot here? I will try and reproduce it on my end to get it fixed.

I've been struggling a bit with my transition to Vectorworks 2024. The compressed nature of the view bar is struggling against my muscle memory for items that used to be on the right hand side such as drawing views. I'm excited about the UI modernization but it needs a little more flexibility than it currently has.

C4D still has the best interface customization I've seen. The user has almost complete control over where things go and how they appear.

Kevin

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

C4D still has the best interface customization I've seen. The user has almost complete control over where things go and how they appear.

I think C4D has not had the most flexible or capable customization interface

I have seen ....

E.g. Modo was far more capable. A Window Viewport could be anything, a Tool Palette,

a Drawing Window, Render Preview, .... one developer even integrated a Tetris game

into a Viewport.

But how easy it was to screw up the whole GUI permanently.

But by far the most easiest to use, understandable, predictable and reliable UI editing

I have seen so far. Which is worth a lot !

Edited by zoomer
On 12/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

I've been struggling a bit with my transition to Vectorworks 2024. The compressed nature of the view bar is struggling against my muscle memory for items that used to be on the right hand side such as drawing views. I'm excited about the UI modernization but it needs a little more flexibility than it currently has.

Kevin

The muscle memory bit is hard to shake & I do have a preferred placement for the view bar and would love the flexibility to put it where I want it.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I just downloaded 2024 as a client is using it.  Soooo much empty real estate on the right side of the view bar and yet, everything on the left is squashed in there.  It's maddening!  It would be great to have the ability to pull the vertical lines between the view bar groups and space things out as needed.

View and Visualizations - the things we go to most in my studio are now all the way to the left and snapping and scale - the things we use the lest are all the way to the right.  I was so happy when the snapping palette went to a locked function in the lower right corner - feels like a real regression to move it back to the top.  The icons I can deal with, but the general layout stuff is frustrating.

Edited by EAlexander
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, EAlexander said:

I just downloaded 2024 as a client is using it.  Soooo much empty real estate on the right side of the view bar and yet, everything on the left is squashed in there.  It's maddening!  It would be great to have the ability to pull the vertical lines between the view bar groups and space things out as needed.

View and Visualizations - the things we go to most in my studio are now all the way to the left and snapping and scale - the things we use the lest are all the way to the right.  I was so happy when the snapping palette went to a locked function in the lower right corner - feels like a real regression to move it back to the top.  The icons I can deal with, but the general layout stuff is frustrating.

The placement of views way over to the left is difficult. I've added it to my right click menu and I'm trying to learn to use that instead. Now I wish there was an abbreviated view menu chunk that excluded isometric views....

Kevin

12 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The placement of views way over to the left is difficult. I've added it to my right click menu and I'm trying to learn to use that instead. Now I wish there was an abbreviated view menu chunk that excluded isometric views....

Kevin

To be fair - I use the NUMPAD for 99% of my navigation, but others in my studio rely on that drop down.  My students all have laptops, so they don't have a NUMPAD.

18 hours ago, EAlexander said:

This doesn't exactly fix your complaint but you can:

image.thumb.png.078ef77c55b8584d93c21e9d830c4c68.png

change the display view from regular to compact mode and that will stretch out the bar to the right in the otherwise unoccupied space.

Also that's odd about the snapping,  when I unpin it in the view bar settings it drops to the bottom right corner also.

Thanks Wes - I am running Compact mode, but it doesn't fill in the space.  See attached. 

I assume the snapping thing is a mac vs windows thing as both people suggesting it are on Mac and I'm on Windows. 

Also - there is no CONTROL SIZES options in my preferences.  See attached.

compact.png

pref.png

• Like 1
On 1/9/2024 at 1:33 PM, EAlexander said:

It would be great to have the ability to pull the vertical lines between the view bar groups and space things out as needed.

Feel free to vote on the related Wishlist item: