VWX 2019 Significantly Slower

Asemblance

Question

We've been doing some testing on some live projects, with the hopes to move things onto 2019. However disappointingly, we're finding 2019 seems to be significantly slower, with a lot of 'hangups' in between actions. In particular I've been noticing this going through and editing sheets. Doing the same actions in identical files on vwx 2018 (Sp4) is smoother and faster.

This is quite the opposite from what we were hoping for! Has anybody else found this?

20 answers to this question

Hi everyone, I find version 2019 is considerably slower than 2018, not only when refreshing viewports but also when editing sections in place. I also have a problem when after certain operations for example joining walls, copying and pasting objects, I have to zoom out and in to see the results, very disappointed with 2019. I've also given up on using the new stair tool gone back to the custom stair tool this really needs sorting out. As for the new 2d components for hybrid objects, don't really see the point of it.

2019 is painfully slower on my machine, I've attached two versions of the same simple drawing, update all viewports happens pretty much instantly in version 2018 but in version 2019 it takes about 30secs to a minute (varies) and I've applied SP1 to version 2019 Is anyone else getting speed problems. I don't think version 2019 is fit for use yet and has probably been rushed out, so its back to version 2018. Why are there always these problems on new releases, surely speed is a basic requirement to test.

pergola 02 v2018.vwx

pergola 02 v2019.vwx

Edited by beanus
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, beanus said:

2019 is painfully slower on my machine, I've attached two versions of the same simple drawing, update all viewports happens pretty much instantly in version 2018 but in version 2019 it takes about 30secs to a minute (varies) and I've applied SP1 to version 2019 Is anyone else getting speed problems. I don't think version 2019 is fit for use yet and has probably been rushed out, so its back to version 2018. Why are there always these problems on new releases, surely speed is a basic requirement to test.

This behavior was the same both before and after SP1?

Chiming in here.. on these files2018 SP4 vs 2019 SP1:

Update all viewports was significantly slower in 2019 (around 15 seconds) as compared to 2018 (around 2-3 seconds.)

My question would be, is the 2019 pergola file a conversion of the 2018?.. are any settings, especially caching settings different between the 2 files?

I noticed that the 2019 version of the file is slightly smaller 4.2 MB as opposed to 4.3MB for the 2018 version...

On 10/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, beanus said:

How come these problems always arise every time a new version comes out, don't they learn by their mistakes. Do other CAD programs have the same problems?

No, & I'm sick of it. 

Vectorworks is notoriously laggy. I've put up with it for years & years hoping they would get their sh*t together & quit using us paying customers as beta testers. But each year files are more bloated & use of the program is slower. I'm really tempted to take our 28 seats to another platform. 

I've been testing AutoCAD latley and it never lags like VW.  Say I'm having trouble with a file, severely slow or crashing. When I load that same file into autoCAD it's NO problem to work with.

Each year it gets harder to justify staying here.

Edited by crosetti
  • Like 3
On 3/14/2019 at 8:40 PM, crosetti said:

No, & I'm sick of it. 

Vectorworks is notoriously laggy. I've put up with it for years & years hoping they would get their sh*t together & quit using us paying customers as beta testers. But each year files are more bloated & use of the program is slower. I'm really tempted to take our 28 seats to another platform. 

I've been testing AutoCAD latley and it never lags like VW.  Say I'm having trouble with a file, severely slow or crashing. When I load that same file into autoCAD it's NO problem to work with.

Each year it gets harder to justify staying here.

I was experiencing a lot of lag in VW2019 as well, when I had to do a refresh of Windows due to a Windows update ruining Windows 10 and then reinstalled VW2019 it was suddenly quite a bit faster on the same. There was still some noticable lag with some things but overall it was more tolerable.

At some point things will get slow, I have had a drawing with close to 2 million objects, 1,500+ classes and 100+ layers and VW was very slow with almost everything but it didn't crash. Then I exported the file to DWG and opened it in AutoCAD. Guess what... it was equally slow if not slower as VW on the same machine and putting the drawings (both VW and AutoCAD) on a more powerful machine made virtually no difference. Under those circumstances I would simply continue with VW as for my kind of work for which I use VW it offers efficiency benefits over AutoCAD that would still make VW the better choice. Of course this depends on what kind of drawings you are creating etc. so your mileage may vary.

AutoCAD may seem faster (i.e. have less lag) when doing some operations, but as mentioned above VW has efficiency advantages that compensate for that or make it a better choice to get things done within tight deadlines. Again as also mentioned, this depends on the kind of things you create.

Having used (and still using) AutoCAD (and having it replaced with Bricscad recently) for 25+ years and VW regularly since V12 (not 2012, got started on MiniCAD 5) I can assure you that the grass is not greener on the AutoCAD side unless you are making drawings where VW is missing (some) functionality that is in AutoCAD that you really need to work efficiently.

If you do seriously consider switching to AutoCAD then I'd rather take a look at BricsCAD (which also uses DWG as its native file format) instead as it does offer 3D parametrics and other things that AutoCAD doesn't. Even with all the niceties that BricsCAD has over VW I'm still not considering dumping VW, even though I may be/have been (sometimes very) frustrated with some of its issues as there is still a lot to like in VW.

I've just started a new drawing in version 2019, it consists of two design layers with 14 simple walls on each layer and already there's problems and as for changing views the refresh rate its so slow. I've loaded the drawing into version 2018 and everything is instant when changing from plan view to isometric view. Version 2019 is f******g useless, thank god I'm retiring this year VW is wasting too much of my time. I too am sick and tired of VW using us paying customers as beta testers.

PS sorry for the inferred swear word but that's how I feel.

@beanus As I mentioned in my reply the refresh of Windows 10 and subsequent clean install made a considerable difference. My suspicion is that there is too much interference from older versions when upgrading VW to a newer version since the introduction of the new graphics engine in VW2017 and this is causing part of the issue.

If it is an option to do a refresh of Windows 10 on your computer and then do a clean install of VW2019 it might solve quite a bit of the slowness, though I am not going to guarantuee this will 100% sure solve most of the issues.

There are people who apparently don't nearly have as much lag in VW2019 as others so not all of the lag issues might be VW related but might be hardware/OS related and not affecting all software equally and it may not show up easily during the beta phase until the users at large start working with it. But I can symphatize with  your sentiment as I've been frustrated with some of the lag in VW2019 too until the abovementioned refresh of Windows 10 etc. solved most (but not all) of it.