macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

17 hours ago, TKA said:

so the new Mac Mini has been released, I have been waiting for this quite a while, obviously it will come with Mojave.  Is there a timeline for VW to be compatible with the new OS.  Alternatively, has anyone (I know nobody has an answer to that today) successfully downgraded new Mac mini to High Sierra?

http://osxdaily.com/2018/10/21/download-macos-high-sierra-from-mojave/

However, I wouldn't say the Mac Mini has a great CPU by any means, and if your desktop computer requires an eGPU to run your CAD software, it's not a workstation. And if recent history has taught us anything about jamming a 6-core CPU into a 4-year old thin and light enclosure, we can expect the usual thermal throttling from Tim, Jony and Phil.

Take a look at the 2017 iMac with a 4.2 base clock and built in 8GB VRAM. It's a sleeper.

22 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/10/21/download-macos-high-sierra-from-mojave/

However, I wouldn't say the Mac Mini has a great CPU by any means, and if your desktop computer requires an eGPU to run your CAD software, it's not a workstation. And if recent history has taught us anything about jamming a 6-core CPU into a 4-year old thin and light enclosure, we can expect the usual thermal throttling from Tim, Jony and Phil.

Take a look at the 2017 iMac with a 4.2 base clock and built in 8GB VRAM. It's a sleeper.

thanks for the info about Sierra, I have been using Mac minis in my office for years now, one I have now is from 2012 and works fine for me, however, I wouldn't mind speeding up rendering times.  I use it as a portable device: I have screens in my office and at home and I bring my mini with me hence my questions about it.  But I see the point about graphics, usually it is the most limiting part which rendered all my old iMacs unusable at certain point.

I suspect hope that Apple is working on their own processors which is why development has slowed for the Mac, and they're just cramming hot guts into recycled enclosures, and saying "there, we fixed it!" But we won't see those machines until 2020, so in the meantime, we have a bunch of imperfect solutions for our myriad workflows.

The other nice thing about 2020 is that most rendering should be real time GPU-based by then, so now is not the time to throw down 10-15k for a bunch of cores to bounce out Cinema renders that take hours to bake. Unreal, Twinmotion (uses Unreal engine), Redshift and others are paving the way for that future.

eGPU's are the new dongles.

Edited by Mark Aceto

I always loved the combination of OpenGL Viewports and CPU Rendering.

Especially in Modo with its very fast CPU Preview.

So I still want a fast CPU too, but for the last time.

I don't want to spend 10-15 k, like iMac Pro and/or mMac Pro.

But look at Threadripper 2990WX

(great for anything CPU Rendering, problematic for ANYTHING else,

at least on Windows)

or maybe only the 2950X.

That should be more in the ½ to ⅓ of the 15 k range and make my

CPU Rendering in real(istic) time.

C4D and Modo go for advanced OpenGL Viewports for years, but that

seem to better work in Character Design and such things than it does

for me in boxy Architecture.

Twinmotion, Game Engines and the iPad Basket Ball Game Demo look

very promising though. And of course Blender Eevee.

I will try that again when 2.8 Final is released and I have serious

GPU hardware.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

cross posted to the sp1 thread:

Hi All,

I''m interested in testing SP1 and Mojave (10.14.1)... I am on a 2013 MacPro 6 core, D700, 64GB RAM..  

I've installed Mojave on an external drive, My internal drive is set up with High Sierra and is running VW 2019 SP1 very well.. no unusual artifacts or crashes..

So far, the external drive with a fresh install of Mojave and a fresh install of SP1 seems to be working fine.

What are the specific bugs folks have encountered? Also, what machines/specs are folks running who seemingly have no issues?

Chime in and I'll attempt to replicate if I can... I'm looking for verification that my setup may be stable/usable with Mojave SP1..

I have some other reasons for wanting to upgrade to Mojave if I can run SP1 without issues...

4 hours ago, dtheory said:

cross posted to the sp1 thread:

Hi All,

I''m interested in testing SP1 and Mojave (10.14.1)... I am on a 2013 MacPro 6 core, D700, 64GB RAM..  

I've installed Mojave on an external drive, My internal drive is set up with High Sierra and is running VW 2019 SP1 very well.. no unusual artifacts or crashes..

So far, the external drive with a fresh install of Mojave and a fresh install of SP1 seems to be working fine.

What are the specific bugs folks have encountered? Also, what machines/specs are folks running who seemingly have no issues?

Chime in and I'll attempt to replicate if I can... I'm looking for verification that my setup may be stable/usable with Mojave SP1..

I have some other reasons for wanting to upgrade to Mojave if I can run SP1 without issues...

When drawing a polyline, closing it beachballs the app and it becomes unresponsive. 

On 9/25/2018 at 9:17 PM, ptoner said:
On 9/26/2018 at 10:54 AM, Aspect_Design said:

Apple have historically been very cutthroat when it comes to significant changes in their OS and backwards compatibility, so this is hardly surprising; unlike Microsoft, who by comparison, have kept compatibility at the fore of their OS development - this has been used for years as a criticism to label windows as boring or stale.

During beta phases of a new operating system version, the devs could add or yank any given feature or service that could have a big effect on VW late in development, so it’s Not wise to send your engineering team on what could be a wild goose chase once v1 of the OS drops. It is totally the right call to wait for the stated ‘golden master’ or public release of a major OS version.

Betas of 10.14 that have been available for developers has certainly not long enough for a complicated program like Vectorworks to be banged into shape to work on release - it’s really only fine for app store developers. 2019 would have been well in development on 10.13 before 10.14 was announced with its bombshell - imagine the uproar if VW announced that 2019 was a windows only release and that they’d gone back to the drawing board with the macOS version because of Mojave.

Every software works differently and has differing development cycles, so you can’t compare this situation with other vendors as well.

@Jim Wilsongave a tonne of feedback and warnings that users should not upgrade to Mojave - I also got a email from my distributor warning against it - which to my mind is exceptional duty of care to the Mac user base. To be honest I can’t sympathise with those who have upgraded and are complaining about not being able to work given the amount of warnings on this forum. Accusing Vectorworks of incompetence over a OS development cycle they have no control or input to is seriously not fair. There are many software companies -  or just cad/bim companies - in this boat with Apple and the way they manage their software.

Well said.  It is unbelievable how many moan about incompatibility but do absolutely nothing to check, or test, or seek advice before applying any update of any software let alone an OS, which let's face it, has the biggest impact of all.

6 hours ago, ptoner said:

When drawing a polyline, closing it beachballs the app and it becomes unresponsive. 

Not for me here.

I even tried constantly switching between linear and arc mode.

(Which crashed my Bricscad lately)

No lags here.

Also with Text here, but I many not have as much as others.

But trying to switch the Polyline Modes by clicking at the Icons in the Bar,

together with that (unloved) Auto-Panning when you reach the View

Border, starts Auto-Panning and then VW is so occupied with it that it

doesn't stop Panning anymore !!!

I have to intervene with a Fit View from my 3DNav Enterprise Button to be

able to go on drawing !?

Edited by zoomer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, Kingstone said:

Just did:  SP1.1 (build 4060795) the second update .  Where do we stand for Mojave at this update?  I noticed with the first SP1 that the shadow rendering issue seems to be solved.

Sp1.1 does not have any major changes related to Mojave, we expect those changes to come in SP2, which does not have an official release date yet. If this changes before the SP2 release, I'll be posting about it here and on the article.

(SP5.1 for 2018 however, improved compatibility further but still doesnt support Mojave fully, which is expected in 2018 SP6.)

• Like 1

On another note:  Newly iPad Pro specifications seems to be more than enough to run VW 2019.  I was wondering if a mobile app would be a logical addition for those who like to use Apple iPads?  This topic probably should be on another and separate thread, if anyone wants to chime in and start one i would be interested.

Hi,

sadly upgraded to OS10.14 two days ago, no problems at first until I started VW2019. It is incredibly slow, can't work on it. Some ghosting on the screen sometimes during zooming. When selection objects I get the spinning wheel of death for 5 mn each time. Selecting text and it doesn't stop after 5 min. Yesterday all lines from the drawing disappeared from view, could select them but were all invisible. Did update all and at least I can see them but still slow, can't wait 5 min between each command. 

Tried to downgrade to OS10.13 but my time machine didn't do any backups since March, no idea why. 

Any solutions for this issue? I am now working on the kids computer on an old version of VW2014. Not ideal. Any help out there how to fix it. Did all updates on OS and VW side. still not better. Just upgraded to VW2019 as the VW2014 didn't work on OS10.13. Now the same issue with the new version. 

P.S> do not update to OS10.14 if you are on VW, not a good idea at all. 

Sadly I have some of those issues as well. and I'm still running 2019 on High Sierra!

I have already installed the latest service pack for VW. and I saw no difference in these issues or the amount of crashes.

Lines disappear from few but are still selectable. lines appear offset from the actual location where they are, so when you try to select them the highlight appears in a different place. Editing symbols makes them disappear until I restart VW. Cropping bitmaps makes the image offset from the clipping path (see image attached). And of course crash after crash after crash...

It seems that there are many issues related to graphics. I wonder if there is where the issues lie.

Running dual graphics cards with 6gb of memory each I would assume no graphics issues but there you go.

It's not all to do with MacOS and Mojave. There has to be something else going on since there are people (relatively) successfully running VW in Mojave like Zoomer mentioned.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 12.04.10 PM.png

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, CarlosMPA said:

Editing symbols makes them disappear until I restart VW. Cropping bitmaps makes the image offset from the clipping path (see image attached). And of course crash after crash after crash...

It seems that there are many issues related to graphics. I wonder if there is where the issues lie.

Running dual graphics cards with 6gb of memory each I would assume no graphics issues but there you go.

It's not all to do with MacOS and Mojave. There has to be something else going on since there are people (relatively) successfully running VW in Mojave like Zoomer mentioned.

VW 2017 was the "Zoom In And Out Edition" for disappearing objects. VW 2019 is the "Quit And Restart Edition" for disappearing sheet layers, and all manner of graphical bugs.

Meanwhile my 16GB Vega 64 rarely peaks above 25%, and editing SLVP's is only slightly less excruciating than 2018.

Edited by Mark Aceto

Hi everyone–

First post as I felt it might be helpful to share a bizarre temporary fix I have found to getting VW 2019 to work on my Mojave running MacBook Pro!

I plugged in an external hard drive to make a Time Machine backup as a first step to restoring my MacBook to High Sierra, and opened VW2019 to just check that it was so painfully awful to run that it was still worth the effort of an OS reinstall. Unbelievably, it was running almost perfectly... 

So yesterday whilst on a train to a meeting, thinking the problem was fixed, I tried to open VW2019 again, and the old problems came back.

I got home, plugged in the external hard drive again, opened VW and it was running perfectly!!! So to those in my position needing a temporary fix to run a business, give this a go!

I hope this helps!!!

40 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

That’s very strange!

Are you running the latest service pack of 2019? SP1.1 I believe. 

Would love to hear what tech support say about this. 

That's right AD, SP1.1. 

No idea how, but I get the spinning beachball when I draw lines without the hard drive, and works absolutely fine when I plug it in! 

It's a cheap USB powered 1Tb drive. 

The files are on my integral hard drive of course– I'm running absolutely nothing off the hard drive.

Anyone else getting this?

O