VW2024

As far as I know, no public announcement of VW2024 (or whatever it is going to be called) has been made. So anyone who knows is probably under NDA and can't tell you anything.

Historically there are been "Teaser Tuesdays" starting in July/August to hint at some of the upcoming features.

Sorry.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2023 at 10:30 PM, Pat Stanford said:

As far as I know, no public announcement of VW2024 (or whatever it is going to be called) has been made. So anyone who knows is probably under NDA and can't tell you anything.

Historically there are been "Teaser Tuesdays" starting in July/August to hint at some of the upcoming features.

Sorry.

For various reasons, it would be handy to know when new major versions tend to come out if you know, please...I believe it's commonly September? I look after CAD admin for our company and it would be handy if I didn't book leave at the same time!

1 hour ago, spettitt said:

I believe it's commonly September? I look after CAD admin for our company and it would be handy if I didn't book leave at the same time!

Yes, September.

Take your leave when you want, it's never wise to install software when it is first released.  I have typically stayed 1 year behind for stability.

12 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Yes, September.

Take your leave when you want, it's never wise to install software when it is first released.  I have typically stayed 1 year behind for stability.

Thanks. Absolutely agreed - but I'm sure there will be one or two that can't resist pressing the button...😀

Pretty dismal.  VW is now a prepaid subscription, in effect, and you don’t know what you are paying for since you have to decide on July 1 if you want to continue, and don’t know what you are getting until August or September.  

Based on the last several years, I haven’t been tempted to install my 2021, 22, or 23 versions because none of them offer fixes for longstanding issues with doors, windows, stairs, cabinets or anything else.  After paying many $,1000s over the years, I’d say the subscription is worth $200, max, not the over $600 I pay per seat.  

I’m hoping 2024 proves an exception to this lackluster performance, but if there is yet again no response to the many complaints, I’m going to conclude a dysfunctional corporate culture has taken over there.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, P Retondo said:

Pretty dismal.  VW is now a prepaid subscription, in effect, and you don’t know what you are paying for since you have to decide on July 1 if you want to continue, and don’t know what you are getting until August or September.

You can always refer to the scheduled features part of the RoadMap , which will guide you on what's coming in the next versions.

10 minutes ago, P Retondo said:

I’m hoping 2024 proves an exception to this lackluster performance, but if there is yet again no response to the many complaints, I’m going to conclude a dysfunctional corporate culture has taken over there.

I would like to know more about the issues you are referring to. Feel free to contact me at jalmansa@vectorworks.net and I'll be happy to set up a quick meeting to discuss further.  Thanks

• Like 1

Appreciate that, Juan, but the “roadmap” is pretty cryptic.  I will email you, but if you’ve been following this board for a few years, you should surely know all the complaints about architectural PIOs and parametric objects. We can’t even get reliable wall joining, after years.  There’s a decent cabinet PIO that I tried out, but it’s not worth all the extra dollars you have to pay to get it on top of what you’ve already paid for Vectorworks.  Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I think I should be getting something for my money.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

Revit costs 2.2 times more than Vectorworks. Let thank sink in. Anyone running a business here will know this alone can make you stay afloat if you have multiple people working for you.

I've been on secondment to another local office that uses Revit to help with some project-specific knowledge. Most of the time I'm using just the Viewer Version which is actually the full version but can't save or print the markups you do. 

So far what I'm seeing is for all its advantages Revit does have major drawbacks that make it dependent on a second-tier CAD program for workflow. Sure it might be capable but at the cost per seat it would be a hard ask to expect companies to have the extra seats needed when a cheaper CAD will do that work better anyway. 

Also not great for initial concept work where certainly VW kills it and would make a great partner to Revit with a better translation system for larger offices from what I've seen. 

Would love to see signs of a distinct strategy here in VW2024. Working better with other apps opens up the market for VW to be in offices as that freer BIM app but also make staying on VW as an existing user earlier. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, P Retondo said:

I agree, lineweight.  That is why it is particularly frustrating when I see VW management prioritizing new whizz bang features that never really work and sink out of sight, instead of getting down to fixing some longstanding flaws.  It’s like car designers who developed grotesque tail fins instead of fixing basic flaws in transmissions.

Yes.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is not what I thought, but interesting none the less.

Although I doubt anyone at Vectorworks would admit this, but I have always thought that Vectorworks is aimed at the intermediate user for a reason and it is a very simple reason.  That is where the money is.  There are vastly more intermediate users of 3D software in general than advanced users.  In the various discussions since joining the forum, the 3D players are always the same people.  Maybe 10 or bit more.  Removing those players from the VW’s subscription list won’t change their bottom line.  Take out the intermediate users and the company goes bankrupt.

This is not to say that advance or highly advanced users are inhibited by VW’s, only that they are not the target user.  There are tools in Vectorworks that mitigate having to learn how to 3D model, walls, roof, window symbols, site modifiers, etc., but they are of great importance to new users. 

New Users, "that is where the money is".

11 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

This is not to say that advance or highly advanced users are inhibited by VW’s, only that they are not the target user.  There are tools in Vectorworks that mitigate having to learn how to 3D model, walls, roof, window symbols, site modifiers, etc., but they are of great importance to new users. 

Paul maybe I've misunderstood but are you really suggesting that people are only using the Wall, Roof, Window, Site Model, etc tools because they don't know how to model these objects from scratch + it's the easier option...??

I'd say the bulk of what VW does is geared towards the 'advanced' user + they devote a lot of time + effort to encouraging people to understand + use these features because that's when VW really comes into its own.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Paul maybe I've misunderstood but are you really suggesting that people are only using the Wall, Roof, Window, Site Model, etc tools because they don't know how to model these objects from scratch + it's the easier option...??

I'd say the bulk of what VW does is geared towards the 'advanced' user + they devote a lot of time + effort to encouraging people to understand + use these features because that's when VW really comes into its own.

Knowing how to model from scratch in not an easer option, but knowing how to means that you can take things far beyond the limitations of the existing tools. I have seen it so many times, where users avoid certain things that should have been there simply because they don't know how to do it. Knowing how to model anything from scratch therefore means that you have effectively reached a much higher level of know-how.

1 minute ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

Knowing how to model from scratch in not an easer option, but knowing how to means that you can take things far beyond the limitations of the existing tools. I have seen it so many times, where users avoid certain things that should have been there simply because they don't know how to do it. Knowing how to model anything from scratch therefore means that you have effectively reached a much higher level of know-how.

It depends what you mean by limitations + the kinds of objects you're talking about. @VIRTUALENVIRONS mentioned BIM objects such as Walls, Roofs, Site Models, etc. + suggested that people were modelling objects using these tools because it was easier than using the 3D tools. I would suggest these can incredibly complex tools to use which many people are failing to utilise to their full potential + even 'advanced' users struggle with at times: you could argue that a new VW user would find it easier to model a building SketchUp-style using Extrudes, etc than with the parametric architectural tools. But we use parametric objects because despite their limitations + complexity they are ultimately much more powerful than 3D solids + allow you to do a ton of other stuff other than just 3D visuals. 

That's not to say that 3D modelling isn't important, I'm just not sure we need to create a hierarchy of tools/users. People are using VW in a variety of different ways for a range of different outcomes.

• Like 2