Wes Gardner

No Stories, No Problem

Posted (edited)

I don’t understand why people can’t understand stories.. it’s a very powerful tool, foundamental for paramethric and BIM worflow!

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 4:42 PM, Zeno said:

I don’t understand why people can’t understand stories.. it’s a very powerful tool, foundamental for paramethric and BIM worflow!

It may be powerful but in my, all be it limited trial & error (heavy on the error) I find the storeys function to be counter intuitive in both the interface & the way one adjusts and edits. Things may be better now, and as with any new workflow, one has to get used to the change to overcome misgivings and early frustrations. I for one, will give this a workflow a wide berth until we are engaged in a project that's greater than three storeys in height.  

So that's the thing with VW I like, one is not forced into one particular workflow; for example I have a colleague who does everything with 2D lines. 

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 1

@Jim Smith, agreed. 

My main point to anyone for posting the instructions and model files without stories is to show that you CAN build a perfectly fine information model without stories.  I sometimes make the claim that stories "buys" you a little more automation when it comes to change management as well as "automatically" mapping layers to stories when using IFC.  However, you CAN manually map those layers and still produce a fine IFC model.

It really comes down to your wall styles.  IF they are set up with level bounding conditions, they WILL NOT work in a model that does not use stories.  However, a layer bound wall style WILL work in a level-bound (Story) model. (Assuming you use "Layer Wall Height" and include a height in the appropriate design layer)

I'm not sure you can call either system "simple" or "intuitive" but I think that a layer bound system is a little easier to get going with BUT PLEASE be sure your wall styles are set up to accommodate this set-up scenario (there ARE wall styles that ship with the program that are set up to be used with stories and will "pancake" in a layer bound system)

Once again, I'm always open to discussing how to set up a model.

Wes

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Wes Gardner said:

@Jim Smith, agreed. 

My main point to anyone for posting the instructions and model files without stories is to show that you CAN build a perfectly fine information model without stories.  I sometimes make the claim that stories "buys" you a little more automation when it comes to change management as well as "automatically" mapping layers to stories when using IFC.  However, you CAN manually map those layers and still produce a fine IFC model.

It really comes down to your wall styles.  IF they are set up with level bounding conditions, they WILL NOT work in a model that does not use stories.  However, a layer bound wall style WILL work in a level-bound (Story) model. (Assuming you use "Layer Wall Height" and include a height in the appropriate design layer)

I'm not sure you can call either system "simple" or "intuitive" but I think that a layer bound system is a little easier to get going with BUT PLEASE be sure your wall styles are set up to accommodate this set-up scenario (there ARE wall styles that ship with the program that are set up to be used with stories and will "pancake" in a layer bound system)

Once again, I'm always open to discussing how to set up a model.

Wes

I really needed to see this written down. Thank you Wes.