Jump to content
hbeach

Renderworks & Spotlight - Stumped.

Recommended Posts

I am absolutely interested Evan!  That said, I am so far behind on projects currently that it will be a bit before I can focus on changing workflows. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2019 at 8:07 PM, EAlexander said:

Maybe we should set up a online session to talk about stage renders. Let me know if there is interest and we'll set something up. 

 

I am ALL about that. Yes x1000.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/26/2019 at 6:12 AM, Wesley Burrows said:

I approach this in much the same way as @EAlexander    I do this for maximum control,  and though Corona can make beautiful volumetrics,  I don't have a week to get a clean image with the number of lights I use.  Thus, I use C4D's standard renderer for volumetric only passes as it can usually render in under a minute.   Then use Corona for all the direct and GI/Bounce lighting as it's beautiful and worlds faster than the C4D Physical engine.   Plus it's lighting seems to behave much more like what I would expect a light to in the real world.   It's the best combination of speed/quality I've arrived at thus far.

 

 

Modeled in Vectorworks,  Rendered in C4D.  This is using the stage plugin (with some tweaking to work with Corona). 

 

Comped: (Base render is Corona):

1192978287_CernerCHC2018-ColorPOVComped.thumb.png.bd367fa89e5f300867dcb9d6a0945a9d.png

 

Beams Only (Standard C4D Render Engine):  (All other textures overridden to black)

573786345_CernerCHC2018-ColorPOVS-Beams.thumb.png.a9ede4f0739dedd967756f82ed85bdf0.png

 

Comped: (Base Render is Corona):

1449585542_CernerCHC2018-FurthestPOV-Comped.thumb.png.393d3bd07e27380100f814151289d37c.png

 

Beams Only (Standard C4D Render Engine)1367719632_CernerCHC2018-FurthestPOV-BeamsOnly.thumb.png.c50584908ce4cba947104b12cbabac45.png

 

 

Hi guys, How can you created an Arena like this one? Can you share your workflow? Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 7:38 AM, Chris Tran said:

 

 

Hi guys, How can you created an Arena like this one? Can you share your workflow? Thank you so much!

 

This arena in particular was sort of a pain because it was originally constructed in the 1930's and has been renovated several times,  so the DWGs,   and in some cases the hand-drawn original section drawings, did not agree with each other.  Reconciling them in to agreement was an interesting mind exercise.  It took a lot of help from the site survey notes, dimensions and a bunch of pictures.    In any case,  after you have a solid frame work,  it really comes down to time and how much detail you want to put in to it.    I think that Arena as shown above took about a week to model.   I used everything from extrude along a path,  loft surfaces, nurbs, simple extrudes,  add/subtract solids,  extract tool,   to the projection tool and more.    It takes a fair amount of familiarity with the 3D modeling tools available to figure out what might be best to use for a particular task.   Eventually you start looking at real world objects and think about what tools you'd use to model them in real time,  it's a sickness.

 

But generally speaking I work from the arena floor outward and upward.    It really helps to have section views for elevations,   but those aren't always available for some spaces so,   I also rely on site survey notes,  and in some cases photos with some educated guesses based on typical dimensions of different construction materials/doors etc. 

 

But for a few hints,  you can take a section view of a lower bowl of the arena,  draw a simplified version of it (basically like you're looking at a set of stairs from the side) and extrude that along the path of the arena floor.    Some arena's don't have a lower tier that is the same the whole way around,  so you could do a series of the above,  for each different section.    I've also used the loft surface tool to create the different tiered bowls.     Every time I do it it's a little different,  and every time you learn different ways of doing stuff.   There really isn't a right/wrong way,  it's what works for you.   You kinda just gotta go for it and not be afraid to make mistakes and learn.

 

I know that's not exactly what you asked,  but I hope it helps.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Wesley Burrows

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

 

This arena in particular was sort of a pain because it was originally constructed in the 1930's and has been renovated several times,  so the DWGs,   and in some cases the hand-drawn original section drawings, did not agree with each other.  Reconciling them in to agreement was an interesting mind exercise.  It took a lot of help from the site survey notes, dimensions and a bunch of pictures.    In any case,  after you have a solid frame work,  it really comes down to time and how much detail you want to put in to it.    I think that Arena as shown above took about a week to model.   I used everything from extrude along a path,  loft surfaces, nurbs, simple extrudes,  add/subtract solids,  extract tool,   to the projection tool and more.    It takes a fair amount of familiarity with the 3D modeling tools available to figure out what might be best to use for a particular task.   Eventually you start looking at real world objects and think about what tools you'd use to model them in real time,  it's a sickness.

 

But generally speaking I work from the arena floor outward and upward.    It really helps to have section views for elevations,   but those aren't always available for some spaces so,   I also rely on site survey notes,  and in some cases photos with some educated guesses based on typical dimensions of different construction materials/doors etc. 

 

But for a few hints,  you can take a section view of a lower bowl of the arena,  draw a simplified version of it (basically like you're looking at a set of stairs from the side) and extrude that along the path of the arena floor.    Some arena's don't have a lower tier that is the same the whole way around,  so you could do a series of the above,  for each different section.    I've also used the loft surface tool to create the different tiered bowls.     Every time I do it it's a little different,  and every time you learn different ways of doing stuff.   There really isn't a right/wrong way,  it's what works for you.   You kinda just gotta go for it any not be afraid to make mistakes and learn.

 

I know that's not exactly what you asked,  but I hope it helps.

 

 

 

 

Wesley,

That is a pretty spot-on analysis of how to draw venues. I will add that taking some extra time to turn items into hybrid symbols is pretty much always worth the time. Consideration of classing, class line weight, pen color, fill color and textures can be huge time savers; especially when you decide to change something later on. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

Wesley,

That is a pretty spot-on analysis of how to draw venues. I will add that taking some extra time to turn items into hybrid symbols is pretty much always worth the time. Consideration of classing, class line weight, pen color, fill color and textures can be huge time savers; especially when you decide to change something later on. 

 

Yes!  All this for sure!  I tend to make hybrid symbols of different levels of the space,   including the roof on different classes,  and then make a venue symbol of the whole thing.  So you can turn pieces off if you need to.  In the roof symbol I tend to make it a hybrid with the only thing in the 2D geometry being a loci,  (or sometimes simplified rigging/steel, but I usually leave that separate.)  I do this so I can see the roof structure when flying around in 3D but it's not in the way with top plan.     (Or I can turn off the roof class,  etc.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...