All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Taproot

Pop up list question

I'm new to Marionette and after going through all of the tutorials, I thought that I would start off by trying to customize Alan Woodwell's gutter script. That network starts with a 'String Input' which is then applied to a 'Get Symbol' using the "symname" node connection. My goal is to instead use a pop-up menu that includes all of my pre-selected symbols for ease of use. After reviewing the pop-up threads etc... I've figured out how to customize the number and name of options, but it appears that the output from this node is an integer rather than a string. As such, I can't just connect the 'Popup' node to the 'Get Symbol' node. How should I go about doing this? Here's a copy of the script (so far): @Marionette.NodeDefinition class Params(metaclass = Marionette.OrderedClass): this = Marionette.Node( 'Popup' ) this.SetDescription('This node demonstrates the use of a Popup OIP control. The values returned by this node will be integers based on your selection starting with 0 for the first option and increasing by 1 for consecutive options.') input = Marionette.OIPControl( 'Popup', Marionette.WidgetType.Popup, 0, ['Half-Round 4', 'Half-Round 5', 'K Style 4', 'K Style 5']) input.SetDescription('an OIP control representing the options designated within the script editor') output = Marionette.PortOut('int') output.SetDescription('an integer corresponding with the option selected in the OIP. Returned values range from 0 to one less than the number of options.') def RunNode(self): input = self.Params.input.value if input == 0: self.Params.output.value = HR4 if input == 1: self.Params.output.value = HR5 if input == 2: self.Params.output.value = K4 if input == 3: self.Params.output.value = K5 Thanks for your help.
  3. Yesterday
  4. Benson Shaw

Roof help: parapets and shed

@line-weight Probably right, another wall stacked above the lower parapet might be optimal? However, the joined walls did a pretty good Fit Walls and the sheathing and stucco was subsequently offset from bottom to expose framing/core for the roof connection. This balloon construction scheme assumes that the parapets are not separate short walls bearing on a roof platform. I think the 3d modeling is pretty good. Top/Plan is good except I need a way to choose which core extends. I would prefer that the non sloped wall (square top) is the one that keeps its end locations and the rounded ones attach to it. -B
  5. Tony Kostreski

Getting Hard Landscape Levels Right

Hi @Pan.Gad, In regard to Hardscape Objects, check the "Main Slab Components" or the "Slab Style" in the Object Info Palette (OIP) and make sure you're settings are set to "Top of Component" (see images attached ). If Main Slab Components is greyed out in the OIP, select the Slab Style > "Edit Slab Style" and make the necessary changes the "Datum". I agree that the default should always be Top of Component since that's what we use for reference when designing. As far as the Stair Object goes, I agree that you should be able to input top of stairs (TS) and bottom of stairs (BS). Hope this helps! Best, Tony
  6. 1. Hardscape Object 'Levels' I am not sure how about others, but I feel very confused about elevation property of hard landscape elements (Hardscape objects, Steps etc.) in VW Landmark. I mean, I think I understand the concept - it is a vertical value over the Design Layer. However, the interpretation is very confusing and counterproductive. An example: If I have a Hardscape object set to be 3D slab in my site design with an elevation of say 10,000, it means that the bottom of the slab is at this elevation. Technically, everything is logical and terminology consistent. Now when I assign a slope to my Hardscape, I will get properties to show what is the elevation at the start and at the end of the slab. But how does this information help me understand and design the levels, since I am not interested what the bottom of hard landscape surface is - I am interested in the top surface! If I understand the tool right, I always need to take into account the slab thickness when thinking about the level on top of the Hardscape object's surface. This is an extra maths I need to do which is hardly helping me in my work - it's actually to the contrary. I may have a wrong understanding, but I always thought that computers and software should help us with productivity. So, when working with a digital tool with powerful site modelling features, I would really appreciate it being helpful. I appreciate all the work which has been done to the Hardscape tool, but could at least the Finished Surface Level (or something along these lines) be added to the properties tab? This really needs to be a term used in the industry, not some developer's lingo developed for the sake of the software. 2. Stairs 'Levels' Stairs is yet another helpful tool in creating parametric objects. Again, rather than performing maths here with setting up height, can Finished Surface Levels be added here? When setting up the Stairs, under General Tab, the general geometry parameters include Height, which can be set up by value or layer elevation. Why not by top and bottom lovels? For example: I have to design steps to the existing building, where new doors have been made. I have an FFL given as well as surface level of paving around the building. It would be very helpful if I could start creating stairs in VW by typing in these values. The rest should be calculated by the software itself. Also, an optional tag with Top of Steps and Bottom of Steps would be much appreciated. As in the first part of the question, VW adds to the confusion around spot levels here. Rather than Elevation property, we only have a Z Value, which practically seems to be elevation. What would be more practical for landscape professionals, is the bottom of steps level property, which should tie the stairs with the finished surface level of Hardscape objects. I hope the above description of my issues makes sense. I am really curious if this is only my impression or other users also have hard time with getting these right. Regards, G
  7. Wesley Burrows

Spotlight Numbering

You might double check that you have unit number highlighted blue on the left column when you enter "1". I've had the wrong field auto-highlighted, or inadvertently bumped the selected up to the wrong field bone me numerous times. It's pretty easy to do the way that tool is laid out.
  8. JuanP

Design Summit Classes - past events

@jeff prince This is a video from one of the classes delivered at the Design Summit 2018.
  9. MSLD

Installed SP4 not callouts aren't working right

Also having similar problems will callouts. Every time I use the callout tool, I get the spinning beach ball for 5-6 seconds, then it works correctly. This is similar to issues I has with Mojave and SP 2
  10. MSLD

Viewport from clip cube not functioning

I'm having the same issues. The viewport made from a clip cube only displays correctly when rendered, not as a wireframe. (I'm using SP4)
  11. Greg MacPherson

Spotlight Numbering

My numbering issue is that when I try to auto-number unit numbers the program starts with whatever number I left off with instead of 1 (which is what I entered on the numbering tab). Thoughts.?
  12. Hello everyone, I confirm that the asterisk * works well to replace a string of characters. I use it in the example table above. Indeed a summary of the syntaxes posdible in the formulas would be good.
  13. In the Vectorworks Library, there are a couple folders (See pic attached) and I wonder what function they provide and I wonder if they or their contents can be deleted without deleterious effects to my install?
  14. line-weight

Yes, I think that's basically what you have to do, stack walls on top of each other.. Of course, as soon as you want to make any changes... it becomes a bit complicated. Being fussy... I think you actually need *4* wall objects (the top two being the same style) stacked to make this junction work properly, right?
  15. I think there are only two logical functions that can be used. & AND (Ampersand) | OR (Vertical Bar, not capital I or lowercase L) * (Star) is used to represent one or more wildcard characters. I have not tried, but ? (question mark) may work for a single wildcard character.
  16. line-weight

See this thread also....
  17. May not be an option for you but you but perhaps just scale the worksheet to fit to your page
  18. Jordan

joining lines & arcs

Awesome! @barkest Very helpful!
  19. Hans-Olav

Rendering Viewports - OpenGL bugging

Hi i couldn't make the open gl to work either here is a link to your file with render works viewports https://we.tl/t-G40cgVOXkk sorry didn't have much time today (-:
  20. Bob Griffith

Shop using SW 2019 cannot 3D render DXF export.

Final solution for me to export a valid 3D part file from VW 2008 to a particular fab shop's SW 2019. 1) Yes, import from a 3D view and not the top/plan view. 2) Remove all other assembly layers except for the subject part. 3) Export as IGES with the NURBS option selected. Thanks guys!
  21. Benson Shaw

@Wes Gardner Thanks Wes! Here's my take which is probably too deeply about constructibility. Split the setup into walls above and below bottom of roof. Walls should be joined prior to Fit operations. The component joins are great, except need better control over which core is extended. Maybe a way to force that? My file's kind of a mess because experimenting, but here it is. Main stuff on the Layer= 2 Wall Styles Stacked -B Fit to Walls.vwx
  22. Thanks @Pat Stanford, Do you know where I can find a list and description of all the notations applicable to controlling the boolean logic in the formula bar? @Edgar RAMEL mentioned use of "*" in this thread, for example. Seems promising...I would love to try out some more advanced formulas. I'm sure I could have benefitted from this info. in the past! Thanks, matt
  23. cberg

It is an option..... And maybe a good one if you are really interested in the curved returns. This makes me wish for a more robust wall tool and better integration between solids and parametric objects. Thanks for the alternate suggestion!
  24. Wes Gardner

@cberg, yup
  25. cberg

Wes are you proposing stacking a solid on top of a parametric wall? If so, wouldn't you have an unattractive line that wouldn't go away where the two of them meet, in elevation using Hidden Line or Open GL rendering?
  26. Wes Gardner

I wondering if the best way to do this is to use the wall tool to create walls up to the top plate height and then model the parapet so that you can get both the curve (as seen in an elevational view) as well as the fillet. I think everything else in the sketch could be created using the standard plug-in objects (doors, windows, walls, etc)
  27. _James

Split worksheet across multiple pages

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov, I'm aware of this, but it's quite difficult/unintuitive to use! Things that make me think this: 👎 Either you need to delve into VW's preferences files and amend the worksheet template to display your own company info or go into each page and change it. 👎I have no idea how many rows I want to be displayed, it's good that it gives you an option to start at row x and specify the amount of rows per worksheet, but who knows this before they create the sheet/see it? Changing this dynamically once the worksheets have been created would be much easier, or like any spreadsheet programme it would be handy to just select a print area and spread large sheets over multiple pages. 👎Creating it from TBM seems to preclude you having an issue sheet as an office-wide resource and just dropping it into a sheet when needed. Keeping it as a resource lets the more VW literate people edit functionality and get it all working nicely to then allow less literate colleagues just drop it in without needing to get too bogged down in technicalities. Time for a wishlist item? It's potentially so powerful but there's a lot of friction to get it to work as wanted. As ever, thanks for your quick replies!
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.