Rhino.Inside for Vectorworks

elepp

Question

Now that Rhino 7 was released, they introduced Rhino.Inside. It's a live link between Rhino and another software. There are plenty of advantageous uses cases for having this also in Vectorworks. We need better operability with other software packages and I am not talking import/export features. The data needs to be synced live to make important decisions on the fly.

Thnx!

9 answers to this question

• Administrator

@elepp We looked into Rhino Inside last year. However, we didn’t get much traction from our customers at that point. We will be happy to hear more about other use cases for this improvement.

thanks for bringing this up.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, JuanP said:

@elepp We looked into Rhino Inside last year. However, we didn’t get much traction from our customers at that point. We will be happy to hear more about other use cases for this improvement.

Hi @JuanP,

thanks for the quick reply. With theses features it's like in the movie Fields of Dreams: If you build it, they will come. People, who are already familiar with rhino and grasshopper, will flock more likely to programms that offer this option. Asking existing users for feedback, will not be helpful. You should survey rhino users how likely they would be to buy Vectorworks with rhino.inside available.

I know a few architects who learned rhino+grasshopper in university. Later they joined architecture firms and brought their knowledge of these tools with them. If they had to weigh in on which bim software to use, they naturally gravitated towards Archicad and Revit. Vectorworks is not considered an option.

Still many universities in Germany are teaching rhino+grasshopper and are producing highly skilled workers of tomorrow. They will not consider our office, if we can't offer them this. It is difficult as is finding skilled Vectorworks users from university, but this makes it even harder.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JuanP said:

@JuanP As a customer, I do not recall ever being asked of my opinion on the utility of having Rhino/Vectorworks connectivity.

1 hour ago, elepp said:

Asking existing users for feedback, will not be helpful.

Still many universities in Germany are teaching rhino+grasshopper and are producing highly skilled workers of tomorrow. They will not consider our office, if we can't offer them this. It is difficult as is finding skilled Vectorworks users from university, but this makes it even harder.

@elepp

Wow, those are some strong opinions.  As a former Rhino  and current Vectorworks user, I couldn't disagree more.

Maybe things are different in Germany, but while working in the US, UK, and Middle East I did not find the tools to be as important as the professional skills I was employed to use.  Talent can learn tools.  It is not uncommon to hire an architect, engineer, or designer who has no knowledge of a particular software package, especially if the firm has proprietary processes or software implementations.  However, it's unlikely that a CAD/BIM operator would be hired without knowledge of the tools.  Having your ability to design or document tied to a single workflow or software is a good recipe for becoming unemployable in my opinion.  Who knows what software or processes will be in fashion in 10 years, but it shouldn't affect one's ability to design.

All that said, it would be nice to have Rhino/Vectorworks connectivity 🙂

• Like 2

Yes, it would be nice to have "Rhino.Inside for Vectorworks" but as we can't even import / export the latest Rhino file format (which is now at v7) we need that updating before we can dream of having "Rhino inside"...

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, axhake said:

Yes, it would be nice to have "Rhino.Inside for Vectorworks" but as we can't even import / export the latest Rhino file format (which is now at v7) we need that updating before we can dream of having "Rhino inside"...

Yes, one can dream....

Vectorworks can't even import ArchiCAD, and they are owned by the same company 😞

C4D models can not be imported.

Point cloud files still aren't imported correctly.

OBJ import still appears to have issues compared to Blender and Meshlab.

3D assets imported from fbx...

• Like 1

We are working on a project at the moment where rhino.inside would be a huge help. We are planning a roof structure with etfe cushions. There are already plenty of resources for grasshopper regarding this. The structural engineer on this project also uses rhino and grasshopper. The whole collaboration on a parametric  structure would be much easier that way. We are reaching the limits of what is possible in Vectorworks in terms of 3D-Modeling capabilities. It's very frustrating. 😞

@JuanP@sbarrett I also am interested in this feature. Very interested.

Marionette is a powerful tool to control Vectorwork's function, however, everyone who has graduated architecture school in the last 10 years has had exposure to Grasshopper. At my practice, we have one license of rhino, and young employees want to use these tools to design... but the process is segmented, slow and not practical for teams working on project with different levels of experience. 

I would like to continue using Vectorworks for my entire professional career, however, if these functions won't be adapted into future service packs, I will convert to Revit. 

I have grown to love the power of Vectorworks and the collaboration it offers.... especially as a BIM tool.... and all that I request is that Vectorworks keeps working to match competition's functionality. 

Other powerful tools are Hypar and Cove.Tool...and both of these developers are working on functionality with Vectorworks. Grasshopper does not have to exist within the Vectorworks platform as Marrionette is the tool to control workflow... however... I would really like to see Rhino.Inside cooperate with Vectorworks so designers of all ages can use tools they are comfortable with and advance digital production!

https://hypar.io/workflows

https://www.cove.tools/

• Like 1