Christiaan

Frame stops for Door Tool

Question

12 answers to this question

This is definitely needed for entertainment design where the shop often builds from the details on the drawing rather than buying stock doors.

KM

• Like 1

As our Building Code Changed in 2015 and we need 860 clear path of travel. As most North American Door manufactures generally don't make a 860 clear commercial door the alternative is to go from the old standard 915 (36") door to a 965 (38") door. We have found the need due to space considerations, to use a 915 door so we have specified special order doors. The result is we need to show smaller stops within the door frame in some instances to prove to a building official that we have 860 CLEAR path of travel through a door. So we draw the frame stop in & mark all doors SIM. Having the ability to show a door stop in a frame would be great! (So would a standard 925 or 930 commercial door btw)

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 1

I would like to bump this.  Code requirements stipulate a minimum clear width at doors we must adhere to when designing for accessibility.  I need to be able to show a clear dimension on critical door widths between the frame stops and door leaf.  Being able to customize this frame dimension in the door tool would help match any manufacturer's shop drawings to make sure we meet the code requirements.

Rob

• Like 2

@Christiaan Did you make a formal request for this with Vectorworks?

Rob

In addition, as rated & commercial doors are metal extrusions this should be an option as well. We end up drawing these in details.

• Like 1

The door/window/stair tool entity needs updating - sorely!

They all need to represent the actual 3D construction, for obvious reasons.

Critical improvements to these tools have been asked for many, many years - I sincerely hope they are in the works also for the windows and doors. Please!

• Like 2

My guess is that the whole tool is being rebuilt behind the scenes and that's why we have seen any of these incremental changes (likely a door tool that sections properly and incorporates the planar graphics implemented with symbols in VW2019). Alas, without JimW there aren't any hints on the forums any more.... 😕

Kevin

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

My guess is that the whole tool is being rebuilt behind the scenes and that's why we have seen any of these incremental changes (likely a door tool that sections properly and incorporates the planar graphics implemented with symbols in VW2019). Alas, without JimW there aren't any hints on the forums any more.... 😕

Kevin

I like your optimism!!   BUT.... it would appear that the window/door/stair tool is sub-contracted out and not made by vectorworks - users have been complaining for years about these tools but unless the suppliers update their tools nothing happens.... 

• Like 3

This is so basic, we have been asking for this for at least a decade.

Please. Stop. Ignoring. Our. Needs.

• Like 2