VW 2024 issues

Jeremiah Russell

Question

Is anyone else having major issues with VW2024? I upgraded the first day, as I always do and I've never had so many issues. First, the link to camera function for the renderworks camera is completely non-functional. I set up a view then go in to edit it and it flips me to a top view no matter what I do. Next I've had issues with floating pallets not collapsing. The roof objects are acting all kinds of wonky - like floating sheathing and shingle layers. 

Most of this seems to be related to importing 2023 files. This is happening on multiple files and it's getting cumbersome to work in.

Anyone else?

• Like 3

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Jeremiah Russell said:

Most of this seems to be related to importing 2023 files. This is happening on multiple files and it's getting cumbersome to work in.

We have not been able to reproduce any of the items you described. However, it could be file-related. Could you send us via DM a file for testing? Thanks

It could also be workspace related. Especially if you are using a custom workspace and have updated it through multiple versions. The Camera function you mentioned make me think this could be the problem.

Try one of the default workspaces and see if the Camera works there. If so, edit your workspace and remove and re-add the Camera. This could be a temporary fix, but if this solves the problem then you should make time in your schedule to rebuild your workspace from one of the VW2024 defaults.

• Like 1

Also the 3d pallet crashes the app, and the mirror tool suddenly is using a different working plane. i used this file in  2024 all week, no issues. Now - of course it is 

time to deliver the work - and there are all of these working plane issues.

Dr.  William C. Foulk, Phd,  JD,  AIA, ASCE

VW2024 

Supermicro dual Xeon 48 core, 1TB DDR3 on the mainboard, NVidia Titan Star Wars 24GB GPU

VW user since MIniCAD

It seems that the Camera tool in VW2024 is entirely busted.  I opened a drawing from VW2023 that had Camera-linked Viewports, and when I tried to edit the camera view by double-clicking and selecting Camera, the view instantly reverts to a top view as @Jeremiah Russell describes.  If I exit the edit container, the camera is now locked to the top view, which is a problem.

Viewport Before Editing Camera:

image.thumb.png.ce14322717c6ffbca2fb8522220251f4.png

View after entering Edit Camera mode:

image.thumb.png.66964d4bef11841ce5f90a53020545d2.png

You can click on the Activate Camera button in the OIP to restore the view, but if I then click on Fine Tune Camera View, it reverts again to the top view, with only the Focal Length and Perspective sliders making any appreciable difference.  On click OK from the fine tune, it reverts back to the top view that you had before the Focal Length and Perspective sliders.

View shifted to Top after clicking Fine Tune Camera:

image.thumb.png.42b3a2a4b601b766c89666bf174b8559.png

What's also kind of nuts, is if you open up the camera edit, click Activate Camera to restore the original view, then click Fine Tune Camera and click OK without making an adjustments (though I don't think moving the sliders actually changes anything), then Deactivate Camera, and finally click Activate Camera again, it goes to a weird "Dutch Angle" top view.

image.thumb.png.5a099971692633b32ae8694f58a5312e.png

With these issues, I simply CANNOT use VW2024 for most of my work.  Renderings have become a pretty major component of my workflow, and the only way I can make the Camera work is by manipulating the Camera object itself through moving it around in plan and making adjustments to the OIP and not using the Fine Tune button.  The problem is, once I've converted the Camera to a Viewport, I can no longer adjust the camera focus, so I have to nail down the camera view before creating the Viewport.  This is, of course, a major bummer.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Jeremiah Russell @EmReuvers @Jesse Cogswell Apologies for the regression in functionality, we never intend to cause disruption in your existing workflows.  The issue with Renderworks Camera switching to Top Plan during fine tune editing have been fixed for 2024 Update 2 which is scheduled for end of November

EDIT: We moved the schedule up for this fix, it will be in Update 1 mid-October.  Thank you for your patience.

Edit 2: There are more issues with fine tune camera and cameras linked to viewports that are not fixed in Update 1, more fixes will be put into Update 2.

• Like 4

This issue with Fine tune camera view happens 100% of the time for me, not just on old files in 2024 but even on fresh files.  Another problem is all of the sliders in fine tune camera don't actually do anything except for zoom - this exact issue was also a problem on the release version of 2020 as I remember submitting a bug report for it.  

Another 2024 issue is final quality renderworks rendering viewports with clip cube enabled seems to be broken.  Objects that would be hidden by the wall my clip cube is cutting off do not render, they render fine in shaded mode.

I am having the exact same problem.   When I add a new camera and establish a viewport, select to reference camera and move to viewport, the camera view is displaying in Top Plan View.  

Also, on all 2023 drawings that I pulled to work on today, none of the existing cameras will allow me to access the Renderworks Rendering option.   Is there something I am missing or is this a known issue to be fixed in the next update?   

As of now, I am reverting to the 2023 Version as the 2024 is preventing me from working on very established projects without recreating hundred+ viewports.  

I am also having the exact same problem also!  When I add my camera and move to a viewport it is displaying in top view. 

I stupidly uninstalled vwx 2023 to create more room on my computer. 

I have been at a standstill trying to get the camera to work - looks like I am reinstalling 2023😭

There appears to be a bug associated with the VW 2024 Window tool. In the previous release of VW 2023, the mullion dimensions are relative to the window, but in the 2024 update, there appears to be a bug in regards as to where the mullion dimensions are associating from. Below I have attached two images. Figure 1 is modeled in VW2023 and figure 2 is the same window style opened in 2024. I have also modeled in VW 2024 using the window tool, with the same end result as image Figure 2. Can't seem to find a work around for this at the moment.

Figure1.thumb.png.c56958036b303dd67c2427f082b29696.pngFigure2.thumb.png.826687b2fa0cc6913c5bd6cfc81dc76f.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
18 hours ago, F-cisco said:

There appears to be a bug associated with the VW 2024 Window tool. In the previous release of VW 2023, the mullion dimensions are relative to the window, but in the 2024 update, there appears to be a bug in regards as to where the mullion dimensions are associating from. Below I have attached two images. Figure 1 is modeled in VW2023 and figure 2 is the same window style opened in 2024. I have also modeled in VW 2024 using the window tool, with the same end result as image Figure 2. Can't seem to find a work around for this at the moment.

Figure1.thumb.png.c56958036b303dd67c2427f082b29696.pngFigure2.thumb.png.826687b2fa0cc6913c5bd6cfc81dc76f.png

This is a known issue and should be resolved for VW 2023 Update 2.

J:

Its on the stairs. any change (say use post at start), and the rail reverts flat and will not revert to following the slope of the stair. below is with start/end posts unmodified (flat railing has end post turned off). I should be able to slope a rail to follow the stair, turn off the end post and have it continue to follow the slope. Its broken.

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 11.36.56 AM.png

On 10/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, Jeremiah Russell said:

I'm also having issues with custom windows in VW2024. The mullions move to the jamb. I've been a user since 2013 and have never experienced this many issues. Seems like 2024 might need a mulligan.

Image10-24-23at14_16.thumb.jpg.bf40b5787f8118de011d3d7e148d4889.jpg

Is there any update on a workaround for this? I can't send out drawings showing this!

I'm having issues with long start ups. It is taking 52 seconds before any see any signs of VW starting to open after clicking on the Icon, then a total of 1 min. & 45 seconds to open fully to a default file. I'm going to start making my new default files in 2024 to see if that helps. If not then a new re-install