2024 - Viewport Styles

JuanP

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Isn't Ambient Info controlled by the Renderworks Style? Or do you mean we need an option for Shaded Renderworks Styles?

I mostly use the Shaded style (formerly OpenGL), which doesn't control ambient occlusion. I think ambient occlusion is only controlled by Renderworks rendering styles. Its all a bit of a dogs breakfast of organization. Likely why people wished for Viewport styles, to bring it all under one umbrella.

Kevin

2 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I mostly use the Shaded style (formerly OpenGL), which doesn't control ambient occlusion. I think ambient occlusion is only controlled by Renderworks rendering styles. Its all a bit of a dogs breakfast of organization. Likely why people wished for Viewport styles, to bring it all under one umbrella.

Kevin

I agree. Although not sure what would be more logical: to include these settings as part of VP Styles or allow Shaded RW Styles as I've seen requested a few times e.g.:

52 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

which doesn't control ambient occlusion.

I thought AO is part of the scene lighting setting.

I usually do RW Global Illumination Renders,

so I activate my Ambient Light (but set it to zero) just to get access to AO.

(30-50%, distance 0,5 m)

AO also works in Shaded Mode.

In VW I use AO mostly for Shaded Mode as my RW Renderings were usually

done in C4D where AO was a separate Render Effect (?)

5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I thought AO is part of the scene lighting setting.

I usually do RW Global Illumination Renders,

so I activate my Ambient Light (but set it to zero) just to get access to AO.

(30-50%, distance 0,5 m)

AO also works in Shaded Mode.

In VW I use AO mostly for Shaded Mode as my RW Renderings were usually

done in C4D where AO was a separate Render Effect (?)

It is part of scene lighting but its controlled differently depending upon the render settings of a sheet layer viewport. Renderworks render setting styles control it directly. For shaded render mode you need to set it by clicking the Lighting Options button for the viewport itself. Shaded render doesn't have direct controls using the Background Render Settings button like Renderworks does.

KM

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

It is part of scene lighting but its controlled differently depending upon the render settings of a sheet layer viewport. Renderworks render setting styles control it directly. For shaded render mode you need to set it by clicking the Lighting Options button for the viewport itself. Shaded render doesn't have direct controls using the Background Render Settings button like Renderworks does.

Ah, thanks,

I forgot the SLVP part.

Will look into it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

In its current implementation it would need to be part of Viewport Styles, since its an option for the viewport under Lighting Options....

KM

Unless you are using a Renderworks Style in which case AO is a style setting: when you change the settings in the VP Lighting Options you are actually editing the style + all VPs using that style are affected... So like you say a bit of a dog's breakfast

• Like 1
On 9/5/2023 at 4:35 AM, Jonathan Pickup said:

I really like the viewport styles, but you have to carefully consider what options to make by style. It will be great to use your customized viewports and make them into styles. This would allow you to quickly make drawings like framing plans, electrical plans, etc.

I'm hoping at the very least it gives a central location to control classes of all viewports of the same style. That would be a big day one win, then we can test the edges.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

I'm hoping at the very least it gives a central location to control classes of all viewports of the same style. That would be a big day one win, then we can test the edges.

Yes - 

My biggest pain point is the addition of a class or a class modification to a viewport type.  Then having to go and paint bucket those new settings on the other viewports - is error-prone.   

So looking forward to never hearing again: "Why isn't P-Risers-New" not on the second floor RCP?"  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

So looking forward to never hearing again: "Why isn't P-Risers-New" not on the second floor RCP?"  

In my experience new Vectorworks versions retain excellent backwards-compatibility with the pain points of previous versions - so you may still hear this!

Just joking of course, looking forward to trying the new version!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/4/2023 at 10:27 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

Do viewport styles control lighting options like ambient occlusion? The inconsistency of how this is controlled by render settings is one of the reasons why render styles weren't a successful as they should have been....

Kevin

Lighting Options can be controlled by the viewport style, so your viewport style can indeed set ambient light and ambient occlusion.

• Like 3
  • Love 1