Snap cues disappear!

Bruce Kieffer

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Anyone here having seen this issue, on a desktop Mac with a single display or even multiple displays?  Reviewing the reports we have in-house, best I can tell, those with laptops are reporting the problem.  I'd like to better our chances of duplicating using the common hardware.  I've been testing this off/on all week on macOS 14.4 beta, Mac Mini M1, with two displays and still nothing...

Okay, this is a shot in the dark... the next time the SmartCursor cues/feedback misbehave, can you also go to, Tools > Purge... and let me know if you can uncheck/check boxes within the dialog?

There are a number of issues with 2024 and M3 chip.  But, just a teething process, usually fixed by a restart of the program

But, today alone.

Cut tool stopped working in plan views

Rotate tool would rotate, but not display the Rotate Icon, Arrow tool

There are memory issues when rendering with HDRI. 

Little teapot stops, GI stops displaying, but image appears in the usual time

Scaling a texture while in rendered mode = crash

Camera has mind of its own

Usual stuff over the years

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS
On 2/2/2024 at 5:44 PM, Gunther said:

Okay, this is a shot in the dark... the next time the SmartCursor cues/feedback misbehave, can you also go to, Tools > Purge... and let me know if you can uncheck/check boxes within the dialog?

@Gunther

Has just been misbehaving for me.

I did as you describe and yes, I could check/uncheck boxes.

It was misbehaving while I was editing within a group on a design layer. Going to the Tools>Purge command caused something funny to happen - bits of a random sheet layer became visible superimposed on the 3d view of the design layer, and stayed like this when I exited the group. I had to close and re-open the file to get rid of this. All of this may be entirely unrelated to the missing cues issue of course.

Regarding the missing cues - again, it seemed to be the case that moving my viewpoint (3d perspective) further away from the geometry let the cues re-appear.

• Like 1

This misbehaving cursor thing is real, but it is actually a sign to save and restart the program/computer to avoid freezing.  Memory handling issues abound.

I have a new one that started this week.  I am working with an imported site model file that is large in file size and scale.(300 x 250 meters).   Although 3D, it is all 3D lines.  Imported ACAD file I am assuming.

Has anyone seen this?

The file is a 3D file, but all lines.

Sometimes (not all the time) when I copy a set of lines to another layer, the lines stay in plan view regardless of the 3D view or rotation.  I can then take that same set of lines copy to the above layer and they work as normal.

The cursor is also causing problems for me again, the problems have only existed since macOS Sonoma.
I suspect it is a combination of VW and macOS.
Let's see how the behavior develops when macOS 14.4 comes.

So far I have not been able to find out what is causing the problems ...

Greetings from Germany

Tobi

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

I suspect it is a combination of VW and macOS.

HI Tobias.  It appears we have the same issues, but you have way more RAM than I have, which is telling.  I only have 18 GB RAM.   This is good information for VW's as I don't think they have a lot of people using the new Chip.

I have seen some things that give me the impression the problem does exist between VW's and Sonoma, as in the program (VW) is interfacing too deeply with Sonoma.

• Like 1

This may be unrelated . . .

M1 MBP. Onboard screen only.

MacOS 13.6 Ventura. VWX 2024 3.1

During a recent work session, my cursor cues and snaps were working as expected, then suddenly snaps stopped working. I tried a few things short of relaunch/reboot: move/zoom, group/ungroup, create new objects, toggle layer view, toggle tilde key, more. Turns out the Object Snap somehow became disabled. I do not believe I moused onto the menu bar snap area. Is there a key combo for snaps? I may have used the tilde key, but in this case it was not stuck. Clicked the Object Snaps icon to enable, and all snaps worked as expected.

In a subsequent work session, the tilde key DID stick, causing the snaps off until I tested the key.

-B

9 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

Turns out the Object Snap somehow became disabled.

I have had this happen a few times + it was thoroughly confusing. I checked my keyboard shortcuts + I don't have anything assigned to the Snapping Keys in my workspace so not sure how it happened... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

It appears we are all Mac users.  There is another quirk I see every so often.  Does anyone else see this?

If I choose the "Flyover" tool for example, the icon on the screen remains the Arrow Cursor.  It still works, but a clue that I should save my work and "Revert to Saved".

I often see two tool icons highlighted. I assume it's a bug.

9 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

It appears we are all Mac users.  There is another quirk I see every so often.  Does anyone else see this?

If I choose the "Flyover" tool for example, the icon on the screen remains the Arrow Cursor.  It still works, but a clue that I should save my work and "Revert to Saved".

SAME!!!

18 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Do you have Snaps as one of the options in the Smart Options display?  If so perhaps that is how/why snaps are "randomly" getting turned on/off by accidentally clicking on the SOD?

Good idea, but no.

My smart options: Basic Palette, Enabled Tool options, 3d Tools Palette, Standard views.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
This is ground control
  • Like 1
On 2/29/2024 at 8:59 AM, Bruce Kieffer said:

I often see two tool icons highlighted. I assume it's a bug.

We have one bug report on this issue.  Unfortunately, another one I've been unable to duplicate or see in house.

Do you use any kind of app/utility that handles shortcuts or similar?  This is an old reference, though years ago, for example, the utility QuickKeys, use to cause problems with Vectorworks.