Giving up om 2024 and looks like 2023 from now on

Trying to marque multiple objects to delete them.  marque doesn't show up and no objects selected.  After hours of failure i opened 2023 and was able to do it first time and easily. 

Productivity slowed down to a snails pace ever since "upgrading" to 2024.  Used to be a big supporter of the program, wuth 2024 you guys screwed the pooch.  drafying in 2023 now and looking for alternate programs.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Our office is also experiencing a major slow down with 2024. We just switched to VW about a yr ago and were very happy but after spending almost a yr getting the software setup for our office the way we want, we are very nervous with the slow down and clunkiness of the program now. I timed the time it freezes before being able to continue after adding an object and its right at 28 seconds. 2 of us in the office both using Windows but have different machines having the same issues. 2022 & 2023 were great on these same machines. Are there any suggestions to speed up the program? It doesnt sound like yall even see this as a problem so are we not looking forward to a fix?

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Well peter I was on 8 hours straight WASTING a days pay getting it sorted out.  Still issues, like having to resize class drop down menu every time you open a file, extra steps.  Went to edit drawing stamp today and an extra step was added in order to make a custom stamp = MORE TIME WASTED.

Anyone know if Auto Cad has these issues? 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/15/2023 at 3:13 PM, MartinFahrer said:

Well peter I was on 8 hours straight WASTING a days pay getting it sorted out.  Still issues, like having to resize class drop down menu every time you open a file, extra steps.  Went to edit drawing stamp today and an extra step was added in order to make a custom stamp = MORE TIME WASTED.

Same here, drop down menus don't retain last size state when you quit and restart Vectorworks, they always shrink to smallest curled up size, this has been happening since first release of 2024 and continues to this last update. Neither do tool set and attributes menus, they always resize to some default postion when you relaunch Vectorworks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, Catmansound said:

Same here, drop down menus don't retain last size state when you quit and restart Vectorworks, they always shrink to smallest curled up size, this has been happening since first release of 2024 and continues to this last update. Neither do tool set and attributes menus, they always resize to some default postion when you relaunch Vectorworks.

Hi @Catmansound,

Thank you for the comment. The issue that the searchable pulldown menus from the view bar on Windows do not remember their sizes has been fixed in update 4 betas. You will see it addressed in update 4. Can you provide more info about "tool set" and "attributes menus"? Thanks!

• Like 3

Hi, I dock the Basic on the left of the screen, and below that I dock the Tool Set, and below that I dock the Attributes menu. My display is 2560X1440. Plenty of white space below tools. I position the Tool Sets & Attributes so that there's plenty of white space below all the Basic icons and there's still plenty of space below the Tool Sets Icons. When I close down Vectorworks and restart it, the Tool Sets is smushed down, an the scroll bar appears, I have to reposition up again.  see attached image I made, thanks and hope this helps.

toolsets.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/16/2024 at 8:01 AM, Catmansound said:

I received a response from Vectorworks yesterday about this, they said that this is being addressed in the next update, good to know they read and react to these posts. 

On 12/15/2023 at 9:13 PM, MartinFahrer said:

AutoCAD hasn't changed their layout in a decade, so no. But then you are working in AutoCAD...

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/15/2023 at 10:13 PM, MartinFahrer said:

Went to edit drawing stamp today and an extra step was added in order to make a custom stamp = MORE TIME WASTED.

Hello Martin,

There were changes in the drawing stamp to allow you to preset and reorder your stamp options but the old workflow with Custom Stamp text is still supported with the same operation, just select Custom and then enter your text. Am I missing something? Can you tell me what is the extra step that you have to do?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
On 1/16/2024 at 11:08 AM, Catmansound said:

Hi, I dock the Basic on the left of the screen, and below that I dock the Tool Set, and below that I dock the Attributes menu. My display is 2560X1440. Plenty of white space below tools. I position the Tool Sets & Attributes so that there's plenty of white space below all the Basic icons and there's still plenty of space below the Tool Sets Icons. When I close down Vectorworks and restart it, the Tool Sets is smushed down, an the scroll bar appears, I have to reposition up again.  see attached image I made, thanks and hope this helps.

toolsets.jpg

This has been an issue for years, and it never gets prioritized for a fix. I’ve just accepted the Sisyphean task of resizing them on every restart for eternity.

Personally I use two displays, on a Mac, and have not had that issue. I like not having the main display cluttered with palettes. Usually just the Resource Manager is on my main screen.

That said, perhaps because all my palettes are on my second display and NOT docked, whenever opening a file, or a new file everything stays put.

Also, there is the option in the Window Menu that lets you 'Save Palette Positions' so that may be something to try ?

MacDisplays.thumb.png.0bec50e718f80ab021bd7355b219fc04.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

The real wish would be for VW to have 2 (or more) monitor configurations and save the palette positions.

Yes, I think more would be mandatory.

E.g. switching with your laptop from home office to office, VW may be confronted

with completely different monitor resolutions that may not allow the former configuration ....

And if you attach it at a client to their Monitor for presentation, VW would need to detect

a new configurations, throw a (suppressible) warning and ask what to do,

- single monitor config, monitor A.B. or C ?

- try if best suitable setup could work ?

- start monitor setup AI Assistent, trying to setup your VW Windows and Palettes according

to your recorded habits during the last 2 years ?

- let VW decide what UI setup is best for you ?

• Like 1