Andy Broomell

Revamp Section Lines / Section-Elevation Markers

Question

11 answers to this question

I am in the process of migrating from Archicad but posts like this make me want to run away screaming!

I scream too about VW - there are reasons enough - but didn't ran away so far ....

(I am sure Archicad users have enough to complain too ?)

• Like 2

yes yes and yes to all of it.  This tool is a mainstay of my workflow and I have learned to just leave it alone, accept it as a demon and deal with it.  Here's hoping for a revamp in 2020.

• Like 2

Whoa, @Andy Broomell ! Thank you soo much for the analysis and taking the time to write it all out.  This is the kind of detailed talking points and slide deck I always imagined the vwx engineers engaging in. Managers at the same table then directing the engineers to take it all apart and put it all back together in a specific way that is cohesive and logical for the end users.  But, maybe that discussion and direction just doesn't happen for these legacy tools and processes.  Hopefully this thread will be a kick in the pants to take a look.

This seems like one of those vwx items that started one way then was remodeled and added to version after version until development was just abandoned.

A massively revised version of this "section/elevation marker tool/object thing" might break the existing one when drawings are converted.

Would engineering a new, consolidated object/process be a viable path?

The old objects could coexist on drawings and the old tools/commands could then be delegated to the legacy area of the workspace mgr for use if anyone needs.

And, I'm imagining @zoomer screaming and running (zooming?) but not too far.  😀

-B

• Like 1

Hello everyone, we had a similar - but less detailed - discussion/request here a few months ago. Thumbs up!

The excellent analysis by @Andy Broomell of the multiple ways in which these particular elements are confusing is illustrative of a common theme across the whole of VW. There are so many tools that have similar problems. Many instances of two tools that do nearly the same thing, inconsistent naming of functions, and much of it not properly documented, so that the only way you can figure out how things actually work is to spend a large chunk of your own time untangling it. I wonder if the notes I've written for myself on how VW functions work may soon be more extensive than VW's own help pages.

Occasionally I do what @Andy Broomell has done above - write out a detailed explanation of why something's ultra-confusing. And then several releases later - nothing has changed.

I feel sorry for anyone trying to learn VW from scratch.

@Andy Broomell,

I've been following this thread since you started and thank you for laying all of this out in such detail!

In fact, I created a similar list of issues for these objects and your list looks almost identical!  As I mentioned in the other related thread, we are looking at these issues and are investigating ways to address them.  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

@Andy Broomell,

I've been following this thread since you started and thank you for laying all of this out in such detail!

In fact, I created a similar list of issues for these objects and your list looks almost identical!  As I mentioned in the other related thread, we are looking at these issues and are investigating ways to address them.  

That's great to hear that these issues are being looked at. I hope some progress will be made.

But they aren't new. This is no criticism of you: but how has this mess been allowed to exist for so long? Here's a thread from 2007 with someone confused by pretty much the same thing.

That's 13 years ago. 13 years!

Will we be coming back to this in 2033?

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

That's great to hear that these issues are being looked at. I hope some progress will be made.

But they aren't new. This is no criticism of you: but how has this mess been allowed to exist for so long? Here's a thread from 2007 with someone confused by pretty much the same thing.

That's 13 years ago. 13 years!

Will we be coming back to this in 2033?

I've only been at Vectorworks for a few years, so I cannot say why these issues have been around this long.  All I can say is that these issues are much more on our radar now.

• Like 2