angelojoseph

Photogrammetry - who's doing it?

Hey, all

I'm new to the forum, though not new to VW. I'm curious who's processing photogrammetry through VW Cloud Services. I've been running some samples and have mixed results. 

It seems apparent that exif data is not being used, including any telemetry or GPS, as my DPCs come in a weird orientation and placed on the origin (whereas geoTIFFs import relative to it). 

So here are my questions:

-Who's using it, and how useful have you found it in comparison to other services or software?

-Is this a Beta service? maybe a proof of concept or showcase piece?

-Is the intention for this to become a core component of Cloud Services? (I would love if this were the case, and continually developed to compete with the likes of Pix4D/Zephyr/etc)

-Is anyone working on a way to gereference or retain/reintroduce geospatial data to the point cloud?

-Any chance of PCS support in the future?

I have a million more questions, but I'll let this begin the conversation to see if anyone is even interested. 

Thanks!

I've been using photogrammetry for a few years, and most recently with drones.

I was having discussion with VW about their cloud services a while back.  I ultimately decided to use Autodesk Recap for our needs.

Here's a thread with some discussion and examples:

Thanks for sharing! 

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’ve been flying drones and doing photogrammetry for years, as well as developing terrain and contextual models for even longer, so I’m quite familiar with the process. 

However, I hate ReCap, And there are plenty of great photogrammetry softwares for developing georeferenced dense point clouds (plus textural surface meshes, visual analyses, etc, etc). My questions are related to vectorworks. I love the software and would love if I could process and stitch DPCs in the same software I’m using to do all my other technical design work. 

TL;DR: I’ve been doing photogrammetry a long time, though in many other software. I’m exploring VWs service and seeing who else is as well. I haven’t found a gourd workflow yet and wonder if anyone has, and I’m generally interested in how Seriously VW is taking this service for technical professionals like myself. 

33 minutes ago, angelojoseph said:

Thanks for sharing! 

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’ve been flying drones and doing photogrammetry for years, as well as developing terrain and contextual models for even longer, so I’m quite familiar with the process. 

However, I hate ReCap, And there are plenty of great photogrammetry softwares for developing georeferenced dense point clouds (plus textural surface meshes, visual analyses, etc, etc). My questions are related to vectorworks. I love the software and would love if I could process and stitch DPCs in the same software I’m using to do all my other technical design work. 

TL;DR: I’ve been doing photogrammetry a long time, though in many other software. I’m exploring VWs service and seeing who else is as well. I haven’t found a gourd workflow yet and wonder if anyone has, and I’m generally interested in how Seriously VW is taking this service for technical professionals like myself. 

Like I said, I spent time talking with VW about their cloud services.  Ultimately, it is not currently a suitable tool for anything significant outdoors IMHO.  It does a great job ingesting data produced on other platforms though.  It's hard to imagine VW ever catching up to the quality and services offered by others in this regard...

• Like 1