Jim Wilson

macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

I have been using 2019 SP1 with success.  Its not perfect, but its functional.

I have been using 2019 on High Sierra OK but not on Mojave. I could not see if you stated your OS.

That being said, there are some problems which were visible with 2018 which are still there but worse with 2019. The worst of these by far is the way that objects can disappear when you're trying to edit them. By this I mean that you can enter a group or symbol to edit it and either the object's control handles are not aligned with the entities in the object or the handles are visible or there's nothing visible at all and even doing a select all, shows nothing in the info pallet… yet when you exit the symbol or group, everything is back to normal.

There are occasional work arounds… quitting and restarting, closing the drawing and reopening, selecting Unified View and deselecting, changing the view etc, but these work only occasionally. This is a huge time waster and the behaviour is worse with 2019 than 2018. I don't think this is a bug with the graphics card since it happens on laptops as well as desktops.

So while I would not say that it's not worth upgrading to 2019 yet, I would avoid Mojave and 2019 like the plague for some time. Part of the reason for these problems is that Apple have deprecated OpenGL and it appears that VW relies fairly heavily on OpenGl and maybe have not done all the work necessary to make it fully compatible with the new OS. Yes, Apple have caused a lot of problems but not the problem of disappearing objects.

D

16 minutes ago, DMcD said:

I have been using 2019 on High Sierra OK but not on Mojave. I could not see if you stated your OS.

That being said, there are some problems which were visible with 2018 which are still there but worse with 2019. The worst of these by far is the way that objects can disappear when you're trying to edit them. By this I mean that you can enter a group or symbol to edit it and either the object's control handles are not aligned with the entities in the object or the handles are visible or there's nothing visible at all and even doing a select all, shows nothing in the info pallet… yet when you exit the symbol or group, everything is back to normal.

There are occasional work arounds… quitting and restarting, closing the drawing and reopening, selecting Unified View and deselecting, changing the view etc, but these work only occasionally. This is a huge time waster and the behaviour is worse with 2019 than 2018. I don't think this is a bug with the graphics card since it happens on laptops as well as desktops.

So while I would not say that it's not worth upgrading to 2019 yet, I would avoid Mojave and 2019 like the plague for some time. Part of the reason for these problems is that Apple have deprecated OpenGL and it appears that VW relies fairly heavily on OpenGl and maybe have not done all the work necessary to make it fully compatible with the new OS. Yes, Apple have caused a lot of problems but not the problem of disappearing objects.

D

I'm running 2019 SP1 on Mojave.  I haven't noticed this issue, most of the problems I've had are minor glitches with the GUI like the black bar in the resource browser which is one of their known issues.