corbinhand

Renders Turning Black Once Updated

Question

I'm having render problems in 2017. When I render any viewport for a second time, the entire viewport turns black. As in a complete black rectangle. 

I can update the settings in the "background render settings" and it will render perfectly, but only one time. Then I will have to change the settings again, or else the blacked out viewport comes back. 

Has anyone else run into this? Any tips for fixing it?

Corbin

Edited by corbinhand
  • Like 1

I've had a few black rectangles recently too. Not sure what the actual issue was, but restarting Vectorworks seemed to fix it. Does the issue persist after a complete restart? If so, was this file started in 2017 or imported from an older version?

• Like 1

This vid might also show whats happening, bit of a wait in the middle while wireframe renders sorry.

This goes away after restarting Vectorworks or persists in a particular file?

Hi Jim, have experienced on several files and on three computers.

I have just re-opend this morning and once updated they have come right again.

Next time the issue occurs I will try a VW restart and see if this is enough to resolve again.

If restarting Vectorworks keeps correcting it (There have been a number of these issues recently) then it may indicate a problem with the Renderworks cache, which is reset during restart. If this is the case it may lead Engineering to a possible fix, this type of issue is becoming more common and needs to be addressed.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, next time it occurs I will reply here if the restart works or not.

If a restart does work is there any additional info I can provide that would assist?

Unfortunately no, if the restart works then the issue is most likely nothing specific to your machine or file.

So far it seems like a restart of the machine works where a restart of the application does not.

Still need to check a few more times.

I have had this several times and the fix for me was to delete the viewport and create a new one.

Got the same problem today, very odd.

Without reason it doesn't render anymore and it turns black after a few second, this happend first when I duplicated a viewport.

Duplicating and deleting the original viewport helped out.

I've found that the restart of VW is effective but only for a short time, if I open and update viewport it will show correct, if I do something like update callout notes, then update viewport again (two seemingly unrelated tasks), the viewport will show black again.

A restart of the computer seems to get a bit longer run with the VPs appearing as expected, but then randomly it will go back to black.

Funnily enough most jobs ive tried the background appears black, on the current file the background stays white but the walls texture turn black.

Edited by Josh NZ
  • Like 1

Have just experienced the below, each step is a separate VP, the only difference in each one is basically one more class turned on than the previous step.

For some reason the first VP now shows up black but the rest are fine.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Josh NZ
Image added

I have also had this problem in 2017, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Xanthe

• Like 1

Confirming whether this is part of VB-137068 or if it needs it's own bug submitted.

Anyone experiencing this issue, please do the following:

1) Verify that after rebooting your machine, the renders still update black after one or a few tries. If this is true, proceed to 2.

2) If you delete the viewport or layer import the document into a new blank file (if your render was on the design layer) and the rendering still goes black after one or two updates, proceed to 3.

3) Send me the VWX file (if you haven't already) that you are able to replicate this issue in and I will confirm it occurs here and get it submitted as a new bug.

If the above do not apply to you, the issue may have similar symptoms to what we are tracking now but might not have the same cause.

I have had this problem for years with several computers. I recently upgraded the RAM and video card as well as cleaning up the OS. Even with a freshly running computer, I get this black screen when opening a new file when I have one open. A similar occurrence happens on my laptop too. The black screen occurs for a few seconds max.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 15.30.47.png

On 2/22/2017 at 9:34 PM, leecalisti said:

I have had this problem for years with several computers. I recently upgraded the RAM and video card as well as cleaning up the OS. Even with a freshly running computer, I get this black screen when opening a new file when I have one open. A similar occurrence happens on my laptop too. The black screen occurs for a few seconds max.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 15.30.47.png

This one is a different issue, in this thread the renderings stay black, that issue you're describing is a (filed) redraw rather bug than a rendering bug.

27 minutes ago, leecalisti said:

Jim, 

1. Should I start a new thread?

2. I don't know what you mean by a "filed" redraw.

Apologies, I meant it was an already filed bug, meaning the issue was previously submitted to engineering.