Jump to content
MikeB

Renderworks Issue - Geometry Not Updating / Viewport Turns Black

Recommended Posts

VW2017

I'm having an issue with the Final Quality Renderworks mode

I'm working on a model and render the model on screen in Final Quality Renderworks, then I switch back to open GL and edit an extrusion.

The changes to the extrusion show up in open GL, but when I switch to Final Quality Renderworks, the rendering show up almost immediately , but the changes to the extrude are not shown.  It appears to be showing a cashed version of the rendering and not actually re-rendering.

If I select Final Quality Renderworks again, it asks if I want to re-render the scene, I say yes, but it still shows the old geometry.

The only way I've found around this is to quit and restart VW

I tried setting the Retain Rending Model in the VW preferences to Never, that didn't help

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

I think there are certain situation where the geometry cache for renderings will not be refreshed.
Can this maybe forced by switching another Class on and off or similar ?
(without the need of a restart)

Edited by zoomer

Share this post


Link to post

I usually save views of scenes i am studying. Perhaps by initiating the re-render via a saved view might force a full re-render. I seem to recall that this is the case. HTH.

I should add that saved views can retain a specific rendering mode and in this case should be set up to use final renderworks.

Edited by RGyori

Share this post


Link to post

Still having the issue after the update.

Last time I had changed the heliodon time of day, but the shadows would not update in final renderworks until I quit VW and restarted.

Share this post


Link to post

I ran into this too now.

When rendering Viewports (for the first time).

+ the edge rendering phase ...

Share this post


Link to post
On 23/09/2016 at 5:45 PM, MikeB said:

VW2017

I'm having an issue with the Final Quality Renderworks mode

I'm working on a model and render the model on screen in Final Quality Renderworks, then I switch back to open GL and edit an extrusion.

The changes to the extrusion show up in open GL, but when I switch to Final Quality Renderworks, the rendering show up almost immediately , but the changes to the extrude are not shown.  It appears to be showing a cashed version of the rendering and not actually re-rendering.

If I select Final Quality Renderworks again, it asks if I want to re-render the scene, I say yes, but it still shows the old geometry.

The only way I've found around this is to quit and restart VW

I tried setting the Retain Rending Model in the VW preferences to Never, that didn't help

Thanks

 

I'm having similar issues with VW 2017 Sp2. A custom render style in a viewport renders ok first time round but when I make a change the same viewport then renders badly - usually to a black viewport. The only way I seem to be able to effect a proper render is to quit out of VW and reboot the app. I've tried applying a different render to the viewport to see if that will refresh/ also close the running file but neither approach works. This didn't happen in VW 2016. Any suggestions....

Share this post


Link to post

Just a thought but have you tried toggling Save Viewport cache in File>Document Settings>Document Preferences>Display?

Edited by bcd

Share this post


Link to post

Apologies - i've only just seen this reply. Thanks for the tip - i'll see if that makes a difference.

Share this post


Link to post

Just wondering if anyone found a solution to this as (although a few months have passed) - I am having the same issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Also wondering if there has been any solution to this problem?  I'm working with a file now in which Renderworks will not not render any changes after the first render.  I have to restart the program (not just close the file) after any change to get an accurate render.  (base file (theatre) originally created in 2016, new file adding scenery in 2017).

 

Any chance VW can at least add a manual "clear RW cache" command in the next update/2018?

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/16/2017 at 3:40 PM, BertS said:

Any chance VW can at least add a manual "clear RW cache" command in the next update/2018?


I asked very loudly and specifically about this, and it turns out even if they added it, that wouldn't correct this problem. Engineering is tracking this one heavily.

 

Some good news: I have not seen this in my many (dozens if not hundreds) rendering tests in the last few builds of 2018 I have here. I don't have strict confirmation that it has been completely resolved, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Share this post


Link to post

I wish the title of this thread was actually referring to the final Renderworks issue instead of the Final Renderworks issue. One can dream...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've just started using Vectorworks 2018 and this is an incredibly frustrating problem that I'm having, not just with final render, but with custom. It's driving my up the wall. Is there a solution? I Never had this problem using 2017

Share this post


Link to post
On 20/09/2017 at 9:39 AM, HCLightfoot said:

I've just started using Vectorworks 2018 and this is an incredibly frustrating problem that I'm having, not just with final render, but with custom. It's driving my up the wall. Is there a solution? I Never had this problem using 2017

Yes. I had hoped that 2018 would see this solved but after not having the problem it now has come back. The only reliable but irritating solution I've found is to quit out of VW and restart. 

I've tried all the other suggestions : editing the style/ toggling cache off and on and I haven't seen a reliable pattern to suggest that any of those action resolve.

Its really a very annoying bug when you're rendering a viewport multiple times to see changes to the model. BTW I use a custom render style.

Share this post


Link to post

It’s definitely worse in VW2018 SP2. I’ve found a full restart of VW isn’t always needed. Often closing and reopening the file seems to rest things for a bit. Hopefully it’s still on a list to be fixed. 

 

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like OIP Emptiness when Objects selected also got worse for me in SP 2

(especially Meshes)

Share this post


Link to post

Im having the same issue. Final Quality Renderworks is holding previous meshes and not updating in cameraviews. Any solutions yet? VW 2018 

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure if this has been solved, but I just discovered that if you use the render bitmap tool to render, and then re-render using the standard interface, it seems to reset itself. I haven't tested this work around with viewports yet, but wanted to put that out in the world. Certainly better than having to restart, which is obviously a huge timesuck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@abcdefgarinHi, I occasionally have this happen and i go into viewport and back out or switch the viewport to open GL then back and it usually fixed the issue.

HTH

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/02/2018 at 7:25 PM, abcdefgarin said:

Not sure if this has been solved, but I just discovered that if you use the render bitmap tool to render, and then re-render using the standard interface, it seems to reset itself. I haven't tested this work around with viewports yet, but wanted to put that out in the world. Certainly better than having to restart, which is obviously a huge timesuck.

 

 

ok. Its possibly an interesting workaround but for me the issue occurs when I'm on a Sheet layer with viewports. I'll try the render bitmap tool tip even though this means going back into the model and then back out to my sheet layer but its still clunky and less than ideal. Just to re-state the issue that I have on a daily basis. If I make modifications to the model and then go back to my viewport it often renders black. I'm using a custom style in all these cases. Making tweaks to the custom style sometimes forces a proper render. Switching to Open GL has occasionally worked but its less reliable. Closing down the file and re-opening can sometimes work too. But the most sure fire method seems to quit out of VW and re-open the file but obviously this is really frustrating and time wasteful. I really wish that Nemetschek would address this. 

I'm using VW2018 SP2.

Share this post


Link to post

@JimWJFYI I have just had this after a few times cancelling a render on a 64GB RAM Windows machine. Build 411874. VP is black, not white as I had experienced much more frequently with earlier builds. Restarting VWX helped.

Share this post


Link to post

Viewports rendering as completely black still happens to me a few times a week. They only take a few seconds to 'update'.

 

But here's a new one - a viewport that suddenly rendered black EXCEPT for the lit fog instruments which still rendered:

 

5a909786de372_ScreenShot2018-02-23at2_36_41PM.thumb.png.97916caeb28aa71ef52a8ca4533d8139.png

 

(Note there are many other things in that viewport that rendered only moments before).

 

Have to restart to get it to work again...

Share this post


Link to post

Not black (DL Redering only) but Geometry not updating,

GI needing infinite time + Send to C4D imports empty file.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...