Renderworks Issue - Geometry Not Updating / Viewport Turns Black

On 9/23/2016 at 5:45 PM, MikeB said:

VW2017

I'm having an issue with the Final Quality Renderworks mode

I'm working on a model and render the model on screen in Final Quality Renderworks, then I switch back to open GL and edit an extrusion.

The changes to the extrusion show up in open GL, but when I switch to Final Quality Renderworks, the rendering show up almost immediately , but the changes to the extrude are not shown.  It appears to be showing a cashed version of the rendering and not actually re-rendering.

If I select Final Quality Renderworks again, it asks if I want to re-render the scene, I say yes, but it still shows the old geometry.

The only way I've found around this is to quit and restart VW

I tried setting the Retain Rending Model in the VW preferences to Never, that didn't help

Thanks

Hi, After going through this thread it doesn't appear to be any solutions, I still have this issue in VW2019

• Sad 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Gustav Ader said:

Hi, After going through this thread it doesn't appear to be any solutions, I still have this issue in VW2019

Correct, this is still occurring. It happens now to me mostly when I use light object overrides, but it can happen at any time. I suspect we only fixed half the causes at most in 2019.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MHBrown said:

I'm still having this problem with 2018 SP4. Has it been fixed? I'm on a deadline and this is not funny. Don't tell me it's been fixed for 2019.

From my understanding this has not been 'fixed' in 2019. There is no report from the developer saying the rendering process has changed.

Given 2019 is out now, I would imagine they will not fix this problem in 2018. I would say this won't be fixed till 2020.

VW 2019 still continues to be the most frustrating peice of software in existence.

The developer has got the software to the stage that it is in a mess and they have backed themselves into a corner. It may never recover and become an amazing useful timesaving product. The market opportunity for a competitor is enormous, but making software like this is an even bigger task.

VW 2020 needs to NOT introduce a single new feature, but rather fix ALL of the defects of the software.

• 2 weeks later...

When I render a camera viewport in "fast interior renderworks" style it renders solid black. The camera is not inside a wall because it renders fine in OpenGL. This was a problem over three years ago. Has it still not been fixed? I'm using VW2018, the latest SP whatever. I tried closing and re-opening VW. Nothing. A different file will render "fast interior" just fine. Any idea as to what I can do? I will not upgrade to 2019 until this works the way it is supposed to.

Thanks for any help.

MHBrown

Jim, asking us "did the frequency change..." leaves the impression that you have not isolated the problem and are sort of grabbing at straws.

I do not understand why this cannot be tracked down and fixed. You need to STOP changing VW while you fix the horrible bugs that are rendering the application unusable. The digital world does not contain "frequencies." It will do the same thing every time when the same conditions are met. Outside of tunneling electron microscopes, quantum forces do not greatly affect us in the macro world where classical physics rules. Determine the exact conditions where this does not work first and go from there. Very frustrating...and time consuming...that this problem has existed since 2016 and it is almost 2019.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I asked this way as a means of politely confirming that the issue had indeed been solved. This issue should no longer be present as of 2019 SP2. The issue did in fact end up being a combination of problems coalescing to cause similar symptoms and was not a straightforward fix at all. It even required fixes from MAXONs end in the Cinerender engine, which ended up being why older versions of Vectorworks could not be patched as well.

36 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

The digital world does not contain "frequencies." It will do the same thing every time when the same conditions are met.

If this had indeed been the case, it would have been corrected sooner. As much as I would like this line of logic to be true (it would certainly make my job easier) it is not.

59 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

Jim, asking us "did the frequency change..." leaves the impression that you have not isolated the problem and are sort of grabbing at straws.

I do not understand why this cannot be tracked down and fixed. You need to STOP changing VW while you fix the horrible bugs that are rendering the application unusable. The digital world does not contain "frequencies." It will do the same thing every time when the same conditions are met. Outside of tunneling electron microscopes, quantum forces do not greatly affect us in the macro world where classical physics rules. Determine the exact conditions where this does not work first and go from there. Very frustrating...and time consuming...that this problem has existed since 2016 and it is almost 2019.

If you are doing the same steps and get the same result every time, please do tell me your steps so I can test my possible solutions and confirm I've solved it. 

Just now, MHBrown said:

Good to hear. But does this also fix the problem with OpenGL renderings "jumping" out of view when trying to adjust texture maps or simply looking at a model? This makes it impossible to use texture maps.

MHBrown

Renderworks and OpenGL use two completely different engines and work in completely different ways. So no, this or any other change to RW would not affect how OpenGL works.