Renderworks Issue - Geometry Not Updating / Viewport Turns Black

VW2017

I'm having an issue with the Final Quality Renderworks mode

I'm working on a model and render the model on screen in Final Quality Renderworks, then I switch back to open GL and edit an extrusion.

The changes to the extrusion show up in open GL, but when I switch to Final Quality Renderworks, the rendering show up almost immediately , but the changes to the extrude are not shown.  It appears to be showing a cashed version of the rendering and not actually re-rendering.

If I select Final Quality Renderworks again, it asks if I want to re-render the scene, I say yes, but it still shows the old geometry.

The only way I've found around this is to quit and restart VW

I tried setting the Retain Rending Model in the VW preferences to Never, that didn't help

Thanks

I usually save views of scenes i am studying. Perhaps by initiating the re-render via a saved view might force a full re-render. I seem to recall that this is the case. HTH.

I should add that saved views can retain a specific rendering mode and in this case should be set up to use final renderworks.

Edited by RGyori
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/09/2016 at 5:45 PM, MikeB said:

VW2017

I'm having an issue with the Final Quality Renderworks mode

I'm working on a model and render the model on screen in Final Quality Renderworks, then I switch back to open GL and edit an extrusion.

The changes to the extrusion show up in open GL, but when I switch to Final Quality Renderworks, the rendering show up almost immediately , but the changes to the extrude are not shown.  It appears to be showing a cashed version of the rendering and not actually re-rendering.

If I select Final Quality Renderworks again, it asks if I want to re-render the scene, I say yes, but it still shows the old geometry.

The only way I've found around this is to quit and restart VW

I tried setting the Retain Rending Model in the VW preferences to Never, that didn't help

Thanks

I'm having similar issues with VW 2017 Sp2. A custom render style in a viewport renders ok first time round but when I make a change the same viewport then renders badly - usually to a black viewport. The only way I seem to be able to effect a proper render is to quit out of VW and reboot the app. I've tried applying a different render to the viewport to see if that will refresh/ also close the running file but neither approach works. This didn't happen in VW 2016. Any suggestions....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also wondering if there has been any solution to this problem?  I'm working with a file now in which Renderworks will not not render any changes after the first render.  I have to restart the program (not just close the file) after any change to get an accurate render.  (base file (theatre) originally created in 2016, new file adding scenery in 2017).

Any chance VW can at least add a manual "clear RW cache" command in the next update/2018?

• 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 7/16/2017 at 3:40 PM, BertS said:

Any chance VW can at least add a manual "clear RW cache" command in the next update/2018?

I asked very loudly and specifically about this, and it turns out even if they added it, that wouldn't correct this problem. Engineering is tracking this one heavily.

Some good news: I have not seen this in my many (dozens if not hundreds) rendering tests in the last few builds of 2018 I have here. I don't have strict confirmation that it has been completely resolved, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 20/09/2017 at 9:39 AM, HCLightfoot said:

I've just started using Vectorworks 2018 and this is an incredibly frustrating problem that I'm having, not just with final render, but with custom. It's driving my up the wall. Is there a solution? I Never had this problem using 2017

Yes. I had hoped that 2018 would see this solved but after not having the problem it now has come back. The only reliable but irritating solution I've found is to quit out of VW and restart. 

I've tried all the other suggestions : editing the style/ toggling cache off and on and I haven't seen a reliable pattern to suggest that any of those action resolve.

Its really a very annoying bug when you're rendering a viewport multiple times to see changes to the model. BTW I use a custom render style.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been solved, but I just discovered that if you use the render bitmap tool to render, and then re-render using the standard interface, it seems to reset itself. I haven't tested this work around with viewports yet, but wanted to put that out in the world. Certainly better than having to restart, which is obviously a huge timesuck.

On 10/02/2018 at 7:25 PM, abcdefgarin said:

Not sure if this has been solved, but I just discovered that if you use the render bitmap tool to render, and then re-render using the standard interface, it seems to reset itself. I haven't tested this work around with viewports yet, but wanted to put that out in the world. Certainly better than having to restart, which is obviously a huge timesuck.

ok. Its possibly an interesting workaround but for me the issue occurs when I'm on a Sheet layer with viewports. I'll try the render bitmap tool tip even though this means going back into the model and then back out to my sheet layer but its still clunky and less than ideal. Just to re-state the issue that I have on a daily basis. If I make modifications to the model and then go back to my viewport it often renders black. I'm using a custom style in all these cases. Making tweaks to the custom style sometimes forces a proper render. Switching to Open GL has occasionally worked but its less reliable. Closing down the file and re-opening can sometimes work too. But the most sure fire method seems to quit out of VW and re-open the file but obviously this is really frustrating and time wasteful. I really wish that Nemetschek would address this. 

I'm using VW2018 SP2.

• 2 weeks later...

Viewports rendering as completely black still happens to me a few times a week. They only take a few seconds to 'update'.

But here's a new one - a viewport that suddenly rendered black EXCEPT for the lit fog instruments which still rendered:

5a909786de372_ScreenShot2018-02-23at2_36_41PM.thumb.png.97916caeb28aa71ef52a8ca4533d8139.png

(Note there are many other things in that viewport that rendered only moments before).

Have to restart to get it to work again...