Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Kieffer

Wanted: Profile Edge Tool

Question

Combine the Fillet Edge and Chamfer Edge tools into one tool called the Profile Edge Tool, and then include the ability to add custom profiles to the tool. Imagine a woodworking router as the Profile Edge Tool, and the custom profiles are router bits.

25 answers to this question

+1

Although last time i looked, both of these tools individually, could only Chamfer or Fillet about 45% of the objects i put it to task on.

Not the case with any other competition CAD package.

Can you post some examples so they can be tested by users of later versions of Vw.

I would ask the same. I have not had any failure using either tool.

This is why we need this tool (see my screen shot). That took me a 1/2 hour to make the solid object to subtract from the "foot" object so it "routed" the 1/4" rad. cove edge. And as I'm sure many of you have experienced, I held my breath and crossed my fingers hoping and prying it worked. Yabado as my wife says!

Bruce a quicker way would be to:

- Switch to an isometric view and activate the Extract Tool.

- Choose the second mode of the tool (Extract Curve Mode)

- Set its preferences to Select Tangent Entities.

- Hilight the edge you want and click on the green checkmark.

- Ungroup the resulting Group object to get the individual nurbs curves and then Compose these to get a single nurbs curve.

- Use this as the path part of a circle Extrude Along Path object.

- Then subtract the EAP object from the original object to form the rout.

This method should take you just a couple of minutes.

I agree whole heartedly with this wish! There are situations this would save loads of time!

Bruce, why not draw a polyline along the edge>create a profile for the cut-out>extrude along path and subtract solids? (took me about 5 mins)

You can even use the original extrude polyline as the polyline for the cut-out path, just snip it off a little.......

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8318&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202012-11-14%20kl.%2007.58.04.png

Edited by Vincent C

An alternative to this wish could be that the Subtraction/Addition mode of the Push/Pull Tool had the capability of follow edges or paths (as opposed to only following an axis).

Edited by Vincent C

I basically did what you all are suggesting. Maybe I'm exaggerating my time a bit, but I am old, and everything takes longer to do!

We all agree that a tool like this would be helpful. I was thinking it could be expanded further and called the "router tool." Select an edge and a profile and rout, and also create a 3D poly, position it on a 3D object, select the 3D poly, the 3D object, and a 2D profile, and rout away! Sure this is the same concept as extrude along path and then subtract objects, but it is much more intuitive.

Vincent,

That is exactly what I did. Thanks for the nice instructions in your file. If it's OK with you, I will show this at our user group's next meeting which is titled "How Do I Do This?"

Sure....however be careful how you express yourself though:

Yours looks much smoother than mine.

:grin:

Edited by Vincent C

It's not possible for solid objects.

You need to convert to a mesh and edit the edge vertices.

Also - the usual boolean operations work for solid objects.