2024 - Fence Tool Improvements

JuanP

• JuanP featured and pinned this topic

Looks really great! Will be amazing to have Send to Surface functionality.

Interested to see the new Railing Tool as well now: improvements that bring you the flexibility and accuracy you need to create more custom configurations. This workflow includes styled objects and more creation options that interact with other modeled objects like slabs, stairs, and site models. The Railing tool will also support guardrails, handrails, and configurations designed to help you meet building code and accessibility standards.

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Interested to see the new Railing Tool as well now

Will obviously see when it's released but I don't see why it can't be the same tool with different symbols for railings and fences. In essence they are the same thing, just with different detail.

I feel like there are so many tools that could be brought together to reduce the overall number and complexity of the software.

Just now, _James said:

Will obviously see when it's released but I don't see why it can't be the same tool with different symbols for railings and fences. In essence they are the same thing, just with different detail.

I feel like there are so many tools that could be brought together to reduce the overall number and complexity of the software.

I wonder too but presumably there's a reason... What I do know is that the current Railing/Fence Tool is a royal PIA so any moves to turn it into something that works is fine by me, whether one tool or two 🙂

I guess one is for site + one is for buildings... To be able to run a railing up a Stair then carry it on along the landing would be a big improvement on the current situation.

24 minutes ago, bc said:

I hope one is able to adjust the spacing of the main posts in the instances where some are very close together or otherwise, wouldn’t be constructed that way.

hmm good point: no sign of the 'Position' settings the current tool has...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 8/25/2023 at 4:09 PM, bc said:

I hope one is able to adjust the spacing of the main posts in the instances where some are very close together or otherwise, wouldn’t be constructed that way.

@bc, absolutely, you can adjust the spacing of posts so they fit your site and avoid uncomfortable snippets of fence at the ends. However, if you're working with pre-constructed panels, you'll have different alternatives than building a fence with pickets, for example.

The fence is a complex tool, and there are many settings for different scenarios. I would suggest keeping your eyes open for a Coffee Break session soon after the release that takes you through all the intricacies of placing and editing fences and succeeding in making your own styles.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fence tool is very good and an immense improvement on the previous version.  One thing I've noticed is that if using a pre-constructed panel it won't let me adjust the post locations or add a gate.  It does seem to be able to make a short panel, just won't let me say whether it should be at the start or the end of the run.  

@Laura Stone, glad to hear that you like the new fence tool. 

To change what end the 'overflow panel' should be at, simply use the reshape tool's Elevation/Edit mode. This allows you to work on a whole section of the fence in one go - this works in both 2D and 3D and can be a very powerful way to get an overview of a fence section. Under the preview, there is a checkbox for flipping the run (see the recording). If it's a raked fence, you can do the same with the post placing.

Remember, if you've placed the fence on uneven ground, you'll then have to use the gravity mode to return it to the site model surface, or to the 3D object you placed it on.

The gate insertion works the same way as for running fences. First, you must have a gate in the style. After that, it's just to insert it with the reshape tool. When you've inserted a gate, the fence section is split, so you can then adjust each side of the gate separately if you want to adjust uneven panels. This will also adjust the fence line to the least number of panels required.

• Like 3

Ok, I think I see your problem: you won't have any snap points for the posts when using panels, as the panels drive the spacing of the posts (the post mode for the reshape tool is nonresponsive when using panels. It's not possible to grey out the post mode button, so it's still there but won't do anything).

You can't add or remove panels, but you can scoot them along the fence line less than the width of a panel if you choose the panel mode in the reshape tool. That way, if you have an 'uneven' length of fenceline, you can decide if all the excess should be in one end or if it should be divided up into both ends. 

However, if you just want to swap the end, then the flip checkbox is the way to go.

• Like 1

Great, thanks the elevation/edit mode and flip does what I wanted, and I've added a gate too in my fence style.  I've found that if I take the Jacksons fence panels from the VW library, remove the 2D info and shorten them a tiny bit to allow for the post slots I can use them as panels to make a pretty convincing fence.  Now for a gate...

Laura

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Looks from screenshot like you're using the old tool... You probably need to edit your workspace + replace it with the new Fence Tool or use one of the stock workspaces 

Thank you, I could manage it by editing the workspace. Strange that I had to do it manually.