I want to draw PVC pipes and fittings?

No there is no tool to do this.

This is one of my main uses of VW.

I have a set of PVC pipe fittings from Spears (manufacturer) that I import as Step files and make symbols out of.  I usually add 3D loci at the center bottom of each socket on the fitting.  I usually use an extruded circle to act as the pipe (since I don't really care if it is open on the inside or not in the model).

I spend a lot of time shifting orthogonal views and aligning objects to make sure everything lines up.

A couple of questions:

1. Are you looking for Schedule 40 (white) or Schedule 80 (grey) pvc?   (I have Sch. 80)

2. Are you going to close couple fittings (basically close glue them so there is no exposed pipe)? If so then you need to pic the manufacturer and get models from them as each manufacturer has slightly different dimensions.

3. What size(s) are you looking for?

4. What fittings are you looking for? Tee, Elbow, etc?

Influent Strainers-2020-12-09.pdf

Thanks Pat. I don't have much need for drawing PVC pipes and fittings, but it does surprise me that there's not a Vectorworks tool to do so. I'm drawing pipes for my house remodeling projects. They are all schedule 40, and the fittings are 45s, 90s, tees, sanitary tees, couplers and reducers. In the past I just extruded circles and intersected those extrusions to indicate where the pipes are in the walls. I will continue to do it that way until there's a Vectorworks 3D pipe tool. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Thanks Pat. I don't have much need for drawing PVC pipes and fittings, but it does surprise me that there's not a Vectorworks tool to do so. I'm drawing pipes for my house remodeling projects. They are all schedule 40, and the fittings are 45s, 90s, tees, sanitary tees, couplers and reducers. In the past I just extruded circles and intersected those extrusions to indicate where the pipes are in the walls. I will continue to do it that way until there's a Vectorworks 3D pipe tool. 

That seems a bit excessive for documenting a house.  The hospital projects I have worked on just use 3D lines for medical gasses and plumbing 😉

that being said, @digitalcarbon shared a bunch of their modeled PVC and ABS fittings here on the forum.  I remember them being very high quality and detailed.  Maybe that would help you with your endeavor?

7 hours ago, jeff prince said:

That seems a bit excessive for documenting a house.

Hum... Certainly true if I was doing this work to make money, but I have other reasons. I will look for the fittings that @digitalcarbon posted. Thanks. And I just found the post with their pipe info from back in 2013 when I asked this same question then!!!

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • Like 1

It is a 3D input device.

It is a 3D controller hardware in 6 axes,

with questionable Mac driver support but it works.

BTW,

AFAIK their patent is ending soon.

So I hope for some competition in the future.

AFAIK 3DConnexion was once bought by Logitech.

Unfortunately Logitech let them do their own things (drivers)

Space Navigator

So in the video I would fly to a location (left hand) then grab an object (right hand) then fly to another location (left hand) but still holding on to the object with right hand...

Again I keep coming back to a cloud based universe where everyone on the team can fly around (first person) and assemble things...Architectural, Structural, Mechanical, Civil all in the same spot...(each discipline would naturally be able to lock their stuff so no one in Architectural can change Structural for instance) currently its all a big import/export mess.

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 2

VectorMEP contains additional tools to model pipes in your drawing. They are not as detailed as the extended library of digitalcarbon but they do benefit from being a dedicated tool that has proper snapping, auto creation of fittings and several display options in 2D and 3D.

This example shows ducts, but the piping tools work exactly the same.

1 hour ago, Hippocode said:

VectorMEP contains additional tools to model pipes in your drawing. They are not as detailed as the extended library of digitalcarbon but they do benefit from being a dedicated tool that has proper snapping, auto creation of fittings and several display options in 2D and 3D.

This example shows ducts, but the piping tools work exactly the same.

Looks good, but sadly at €550/year subscription cost, rather expensive for those of us who just need to do this sort of thing occasionally.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Mine still works in VW2023!

I thought we agreed elsewhere that if you are using the most up to date driver most of the command mappings don't work. As it is I'm using an old driver + most things work with the exception of 'Switch Navigation' which for me renders the SpaceMouse next to useless because I have no way of switching to the navigation mode I need to use. Perhaps you are unaffected in this respect because you are using the default navigation mode whereas I use 'Target Object' or whatever it was called (can't see it to check!!!!).

The other command which isn't working is 'Fit View'

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I thought we agreed elsewhere that if you are using the most up to date driver most of the command mappings don't work. As it is I'm using an old driver + most things work with the exception of 'Switch Navigation' which for me renders the SpaceMouse next to useless because I have no way of switching to the navigation mode I need to use. Perhaps you are unaffected in this respect because you are using the default navigation mode whereas I use 'Target Object' or whatever it was called (can't see it to check!!!!).

The other command which isn't working is 'Fit View'

Ah yes I remember now. You've not found any solution to that, obviously. Do they seem uninterested in fixing it at the 3dconnexion end?

I seem to be lucky in that I use the default mode (helicopter is what I use I think).

14 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Ah yes I remember now. You've not found any solution to that, obviously. Do they seem uninterested in fixing it at the 3dconnexion end?

I seem to be lucky in that I use the default mode (helicopter is what I use I think).

Yes the woman I was talking to at 3DC EU was fairly helpful + submitted a bug regarding it. Plus @JuanP was looking into it at his end. This was at the start of June + not heard anything since. I have just emailed her for an update...

VW2024 will be out before we know it + the fear is it then develops even more problems.

• Like 2

3DC recently released another driver update with no mention of VW. Actions speak louder than words.

I recall searching their Release Notes in Finder but I forget how many years it went back before I found any mention of Vectorworks. Maybe 2018?

They care about us much as Tim Cook cares about user serviceable RAM.

I’m also getting sick of my CadMouse freaking out more and more (zooming waaaaaaay out, flying all over the place, infinite scrolling). But I suspect that could be fixed with a third party driver.

9 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Still waiting for some brave soul to test VW with this third party 3D mouse that looks very familiar but I can't quite place it... 

https://naya.tech/pages/modules?module-float

Btw VW is working on something that will make this workflow a lot easier but that's all I can say for now (cruel, I know).

I see they have something similar to the 3dconnexion devices

Screenshot2023-07-24at17_03_31.thumb.jpg.27fa2a924f42a44f553e3f04cb17a1ef.jpg

pre-order only & "shipping April 2024"

so is that connected to 3dconnexion's patent running out, mentioned somewhere?

Certainly it makes me feel quite nervous, being highly dependent on the 3dconnexion device, but them seemingly uncommitted to continuing to support mac/vectorworks  users. Some competing devices would be welcome.

1 minute ago, line-weight said:

so is that connected to 3dconnexion's patent running out, mentioned somewhere?

I'm the one that started that rumor (based on a subreddit).

I said "brave soul" because the Naya product is a leap of faith. It's not like an Amazon Prime 30-day return. I asked them about VW on an Instagram post but got crickets. Maybe someone could chase their support team in an email for an official response.

In the meantime, my assumption is that it'll be plagued with the same issues as 3DC until they start opening support tix from VW users...