MTRobin

Make Symbols Unique

Question

Hi Everyone,

In Sketchup I am able to right click a symbol and select "Make Unique" and it will copy that symbol with a new name and replace it in place. It would be great if Vectorworks had a feature like this.

As it is now I have to find the symbol in the Resource Manager, duplicate it, then select my symbol in the model and replace it with the new one.

Typically I will have a few instances of a symbol and will want to change one of them without changing the rest, but don't know yet if I will need to have other instances of the new symbol. Having a "Make Unique" feature would simplify this whole process. Pretty much the user would select their symbol in the model. Right click. Select "Make Unique", and VWX will duplicate the symbol in the Resource Browser with a new name and then replace the selected symbol with the new one.

Thank you

Maxwell

• Like 3

7 answers to this question

An alternative workflow to accomplish this would be:

Convert to Group  Cmd-K

Ungroup   Cmd-U

Create Symbol

Something like Duplicate Symbol in Place would be good.

• Like 1

Yes. that could work. Do you know if I could make that sequence into a macro or something so I can just right click the object and run this all at once?

46 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

You will need to do this twice if yours is a Hybrid Symbol.

Once in Top/Plan on the original to retrieve the 2d components

Once in a 3d View of a of the original to obtain the 3d components

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Converting to group would delete part of the geometry depending upon what projection you are in. Also, any top level data records would be stripped away as well. Additionally, if this was performed upon a Lighting Device object as it seems you want, there would be extra steps. I think you could more cleanly try this:

1. Right-Click on the Lighting Device that you desire to one off and choose Locate Symbol in the resource Browser.
  2. In the Resource Browser, Right-Click on the symbol that was found by the previous step and duplicate it, naming it similarly to the former symbol name, and make the desired edits to this new symbol including any changes to the 2D and 3D geometry and data records.
  3. Now go back to the Lighting Device in the document window selecting it if necessary, and click on the Replace Lighting Device in the object Info palette.

It is not the same order, but this accomplishes the same result as the Sketchup workflow. This works specifically for Lighting Devices. Other Symbol based objects will have slightly different workflows and possibly additional steps.

Edited by Frank Brault
added more detail to step 2.
  • Like 1

Right. All great ideas and that is how I currently do this. I was hoping to request a feature to automate all this and make it a simple one click option like Sketchup does.

Thanks

Maxwell

Edited by MTRobin

11 hours ago, Frank Brault said:

Keep in mind that Converting to group would delete part of the geometry depending upon what projection you are in

And break any hybrid functionality... but I love the idea of this, it would certainly make that bit of workflow a lot slicker.