Tom Klaber

Why does the snapping pallet work differently?

Question

I am working on my PC and I am wondering why the Snapping Pallet dock differently then all the other pallets. Why can I not dock it on the left or right inline with my other pallets?

17 answers to this question

The palettes came in at different times, I think that palette has yet to be upgraded completely.

From what I understand, eventually all of them will be upgraded and function in the same manner (Mac users want this badly as well), but I'll confirm that it wasn't a mistake.

Mine does under macOS.

But for justice we can't dock palettes between left and right columns.

Over whole screen width only.

Edited by zoomer

2 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Mine does under macOS.

>:(

In Windows it can dock but it has to be the entire side of top bottom left or right - it does not dock with other pallets. 

For me it looks like this :

Screenshot-4.jpg.db67887fc1757c35e72cd4446a78b0cd.jpg

And you can see the problem with the bottom palette over whole screen width.

My Basic Palette has about 100 icon entries to not waste too much space ;)

I think in previous VW versions Attribute and Snapping Palettes were also not dock-able.

Edited by zoomer

On Windows the Snapping palette can not be docked. I am not sure why it's always been an oddball. I'll poke again and see if there is a reason this palette wasn't upgraded along with the rest of them.

Tom,

I dock it like this on the right hand side of my screen. I like to keep its original size/orientation. I wish it was smarter about docking though. I can't drag its column any narrower than this or it will jump to one single column of icons.

Kevin

58dbcdfd65bcb_ScreenShot2017-03-29at8_08_06AM.png.38f5a69b8c564415f64f2bdf5f5625b8.png

Anyone else think the GUI is in need of an update / overhaul?

i know change is scary - but the VWX UI does feel rather outdated now. Hasn't changed significantly since I can remember. 15 years +

• Like 2

On 3/30/2017 at 5:14 AM, Andrew Davies said:

Anyone else think the GUI is in need of an update / overhaul?

i know change is scary - but the VWX UI does feel rather outdated now. Hasn't changed significantly since I can remember. 15 years +

100% agree.  Long called for.  I feel like there have been multiple threads about this, but I wasn't able to find one.

Archicad did a nice little facelift this year.  My hope was VW was going to as well.  I think (hope) something is in the works...

• Like 2

ooohhhh I like the video (I am a sucker for shiny things).

• Like 1

I like the video too.... ironically the interfaces shown in the marketing videos are often more interesting than reality (VW2017 was a prime example of this).

Kevin

Does anyone know why the snapping palette is different than all the other palettes?For example, compared to the tool sets palette:

The layout of the title bar:

59fad5e625a2f_2017-11-0209_21_45-VectorworksArchitect2018-Untitled1.png.b89cb8ecc01eca13399b46c757d6c8a1.png

The tool sets, can be docked to the sides of your window like this. But the snapping palette can't:

59fad5e6a749d_2017-11-0209_22_18-VectorworksArchitect2018-Untitled1.png.c4cd6bc00a1712e59d2c26d287afd4a2.png

If you want to dock it somewhere it can only be added like a menu command bar. And I don't think that any other palette can fill the space in the extra bar that is created by the snapping palette.

59fad5e6da5d7_2017-11-0209_22_35-Inbox-bert.fore@forestplus.be-Outlook.png.d6cb5d18e1ffa85c5fc145d51102b848.png

Any reasons for this different behavior?

(these screenshots are taken on VW2018 for windows)

Thank you,

Bert

Edited by Bertf

It's been like that for as long as I've been using VW which is only since 2014.  I would like it to dock too.  Wishlist it @Bertf

It is actually very similar to the other palettes. Drag the bottom right corner and you can change the width and height. Once you have it sized the way you like, you can snap it to the window or to the other palettes.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 7.05.22 AM.png

On Mac the Snapping palette can be docked, on Windows it cannot. I have yet to find an explanation of why this is the case.

20 minutes ago, JimW said:

On Mac the Snapping palette can be docked, on Windows it cannot. I have yet to find an explanation of why this is the case.

Sort of :)  It's not really designed for docking though it does behave a little better than the Attributes Palette.

KM

This issue is still present in VW2020.