2024 - New Parametric Cabinet Tool

JuanP

The first two things I wanted to see if the new cabinet tool could draw:

(this is based on how kitchen cabinets are usually made/installed in the UK)

1) The base sitting on legs (sides of cabinet don't go down to floor) - Yes it can (good, although I'd like the option of drawing the legs but omitting the kickplate)

2) Services void at rear (the back panel is inset, so there's a void space between back of cabinet and wall) - I don't think it can, but happy to be corrected.

The type of service void I mean is illustrated here:

https://www.lemonsqueezykb.co.uk/our-cabinets.html

Why does it matter? Because there might well be stuff like pipework running in there, and I might want to show this on a section. If I can take a section through a kitchen made with standard units and this void can be shown automatically without custom modelling or fiddling in annotations, that saves me some work.

Additionally, showing the cabinets as the actually are, avoids any confusion when putting dimensions on a drawing. If I want a cabinet set out a bit, for example, I want to be clear whether I am giving the dimension to the back edge of the cabinet walls, or to the back panel of the cabinet.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 3
On 9/7/2023 at 5:49 PM, line-weight said:

Not sure exactly what you mean but I wouldn't really expect the cabinet tool to be able to resolve these junctions.

It is one of those attention to detail or ease of use "tells" to me. 

If the tool was easy to use and the people making weren't rushed they would have gone into the model being used for the video and cleaned up the awkward-looking junctions to stop them detracting from all the good things going on. 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Am I dumb? I’m not seeing any of the cool features demonstrated in VW University.

No Dynamic Placement, or Duplicate Along Line modes.

No Catalogs or Settings.

All I have are a dozen or so cabinet choices from InteriorCad and NONE of the options shown in the “CABINET OBJECTS PARAMETRIC WORKFLOW” tutorial.

Just installed 2024 yesterday. RM has been refreshed. What magic button am I missing?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.23.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.24.02 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.28.44 AM.jpg

40 minutes ago, jason schneider said:

Hey guys,

Am I dumb? I’m not seeing any of the cool features demonstrated in VW University.

No Dynamic Placement, or Duplicate Along Line modes.

No Catalogs or Settings.

All I have are a dozen or so cabinet choices from InteriorCad and NONE of the options shown in the “CABINET OBJECTS PARAMETRIC WORKFLOW” tutorial.

Just installed 2024 yesterday. RM has been refreshed. What magic button am I missing?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.23.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.24.02 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.28.44 AM.jpg

It looks like you are using the older "custom cabinet" tool rather than the "cabinet" tool which is the one which has been revamped.

Quite understandable that this should cause confusion. It's very typical of VW, having things with almost the same name to make things more difficult than they need to be.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

There doesn't seem to have been a lot of discussion of the new cabinet tool.

For me it's a bit underwhelming. One disappointment is that it's still not possible to have a service void at the rear, as mentioned in my post earlier in this thread. A question for non-UK readers - is this void a UK-specific thing, or is it standard in North America and/or other countries too?

Screenshot2023-10-27at09_26_26.thumb.jpg.2e9a8133b3b22b88dde5f24e614db5eb.jpg

The other significant limitation is the ability to model corner units. The new tool doesn't allow unequal "leg" lengths whereas the old tool did, so it has become less flexible in what it can model.

We have these Service Voids here too.

Not for every standard Cabinet but those who are meant to include

devices which need cables or pipes, or those where cables or pipes

will cross, like where the sink is and other neighbored devices

like dish washers will connect.

Often mainly in the lower part only, where things happen.

E.g. if there is a drawer on top, it may be able use the full depth.

• Like 1