All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. LarryO

Dimensioning to grouped items

Arrgh, happened again this morning. Viewport was not rotated this time; and it was snapping to centre points but not some of the end points of simple lines. Saving the file didn't change the behaviour but restarting VW did. I just updated the drivers to my Razer mouse, its been a couple of years. Maybe that will fix the issue.
  3. Sam Jones

Flowcharts for Speakers

The flow charting tools are cool, but for even "quick&dirty" cable plans, I don't think there as convenient or as powerful as Spotlight's cable objects.
  4. You can use a single exterior wall instead of splitting it up into parts and using the L Wall Join Mode. Experimenting with the reshape tool on a single wall will allow you to create a jog in the wall for the double height. Then try using the component join tool to connect the exterior wall finishes. You may need to put the walls together and take them apart a couple of times to accomplish the correct graphic in Top/Plan view.
  5. Today
  6. halfcouple

Rendering Viewport turns everything black

I have the same issue with VW 19 SP 3.1. Not only with viewports but also when rendering design layers. Either changes are not acceptect, or it renders a black screen.
  7. MattG

Looking for a good VW Podcast

I used to listen to that! Bring back Podcad!
  8. JustinVH

Truss Frames (screen box)

At this time vertical loads are not supported with Braceworks and this even applies to hanging loads; not just ground supported. The FEM error is telling Braceworks that the load is not properly balanced. I even did a test with the frame at an angle of 89.9° instead of 90° to see if I could trick the system into calculating as the truss would not be 100% vertical as a workaround to help. The only way I was able go get a calculation with no errors was to hang two additional motors on the bottom truss so that Braceworks can see the other side is supported and that is definitely not how that would be rigged in the real world. I have attached the screenshot but I know this is not the answer you were looking for. I know that the engineers are looking into adding this functionality in future releases if possible but at this time a timeframe is unknown.
  9. Sorry, misunderstood the question @halfcouple
  10. Hi everyone, I've been looking for a solution to this issue of trying to smooth out a faceted surface after it's been extruded. Obviously my options are redraw it with a complete curve however this would take a while and undo a lot of the other work I've done on the object. In OpenGL it's not an issue as the facets are hidden however in Hidden Line mode we see the lines. I know you can smooth it out by adjusting settings in Hidden Line by increasing the angle but that's more a workaround and related to hiding lines rather than actually smoothing them and removing the facet lines. Is there a tool I'm missing for this? In SketchUp, the tool is related to the eraser tool and with a keyboard shortcut and you can smooth out a surface easily. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
  11. milezee

No Scaling Handles

I have imported some furniture into a VW file that was created in Rhino, I am not getting any scaling handles when I highlight a piece I need to resize ? Do I need to convert them to some other kind of solid or polysurface once inside VW ? tia
  12. Stephan Moenninghoff

Multiple tabs open, original tab not responding

Just to add my 2c, I am seeing this issue regularly on clients' machines. I think it is Windows only. The saving issue appears to be such that the inactive tab is saved instead of the current tab.
  13. zoomer

Different component heights or layers?

For visibility reasons for modeling I would put them on 2nd Floor Layer. I also try to use only 1 Layer per Story as long as possible. But I think I would bind the Members to Story Levels. (If that works now reliably ?) And/Or use Classes to separate their different Levels for better overview when modeling. Like A_MEMBER_340, A_MEMBER 280, ....
  14. Pat Stanford

Actual only about 30-40 episodes. We renamed for each "season" (year). And even that was close to a full time job. But it was a lot of fun also. 😉
  15. Dave Donley

Rendering Viewport turns everything black

Hello SNOJNKY: Is your Vectorworks preference for Default Compression set to JPEG? If so, does this get better with it set to PNG? The default is PNG and there is a bug when it is JPEG that affects Renderworks viewports.
  16. Josh Hancock

Surface could not be created from curve network

Thanks @markdd . Your way worked, and I also found another way to solve the issue. Which is to 'compose' the lines first, and then convert them into a surface. Thanks for your help.
  17. Dave Donley

Render mode problem

Hello meaolivera: Since this is one object, if you do Modify->Convert to Mesh or Convert to 3D Polygons does that render better. These look like shadow or shading artifacts.
  18. markdd

Surface could not be created from curve network

The reason why you can't make the create surface command work is that the nurbs are not co-planar. To get the result I think you are looking for you should try the loft surface tool on the 3rd mode. click the tool select the 3rd mode select the arc curve select the two longest sides You should get the results in the screen shot.
  19. RussU

900+ episodes? Crazy! That's a full time job!
  20. markdd

Odd Clip/Intersect Surface Behavior

An arc object is essentially 1 side of a 3-sided closed polyline, so the behaviour you are seeing makes sense although is quite frustrating. For what you want to do, you would be better to use the Trim command in the Modify Menu, which will give you exactly the results you are after. Select all the arcs and one of the rectangles. Run the command and select the rectangle to make the cut. What you will be left with is the rectangle and the arcs trimmed. Just delete the trimmed portions that you don't need. I don't remember this being possible in earlier versions but I could be mistaken..... Hope that helps
  21. RussU

Weird horizontal lines in OpenGL render.

Yep, I agree... known as z-fighting. Can you look at one more thing though? I've noticed some oddities in open GL drawing when your geometry in a long way from the internal origin. Set a 3d locus to 0,0,0 and then zoom to all, and see how far away you are... if it's a long way, get everything to the origin and have another look.... that might solve it.
  22. TomWhiteLight

Vision 2019 lecos have no barrel rotation

Thanks Jake, I think I will pursue feature requesting lens/barrel rotation. The recommended workflow is to focus instruments in Spotlight First and then export MVR. You can focus in vision but I am worried that focuses may get trashed when you next export MVR. Apologies for the delay. Best wishes Tom W
  23. P.S. I'm going to move this topic into Site Design, which might be a good place for you to look for more Landmark inspiration...
  24. Hi James Take a look at the Hardscape tool in Pathway mode. You can then use a Tile fill to give the impression of irregular stones. Here's a tutorial that will help you: https://www.vectorworks.net/training/2019/getting-started-guides/site-design/creating-hardscapes You can then create a report on the Hardscape, which will give you the area and perimeter.
  25. Christiaan

Weird horizontal lines in OpenGL render.

It does often indicate overlapping geometry, so it could be that, but I've also experienced this sort of thing as a graphic glitch. If so it may go away after a restart.
  26. Hi, I am trying to create a surface from a series of NURBS curves. I have attached a file with just one set of the line groups that I am having trouble connecting into a surface. I think there is probably something quite simple I am missing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot nurbs to surface test.vwx
  27. During render tests some problems occured concerning the renderworks color white mode as a background render. It shows random polygonal pixeled elements. on the oder hand in the normal open gl mode everything seems to be fine and solid. The whole 3d model is a generic solid, not a mesh based model. Attached you´ll find a screenshot from both situations. We are using a VW 2019 SP3 in a imac with macos mojave operating system. It would be really helpful if someone has any idea of how to solve it. Thanks! Unknown.tiff
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.