Twinmotion - Epic & Free (Until November)

Thanks!  This inspired me to give it a try.

It looks like Twinmotion no longer supports OBJ file import.

FBX seems to be the only compatible format between Vectorworks export and TwinMotion import.  Is that true?

I ask, because using the FBX format, I found that a number of object planes didn't translate as solids (notably roof edges and undersides).

Is there a current standard practice of how to get files from Vectorworks into TwinMotion listed somewhere?  I couldn't seem to find one.

11 hours ago, Taproot said:

I ask, because using the FBX format, I found that a number of object planes didn't translate as solids (notably roof edges and undersides).

Yes, unfortunately things like Slabs have lots of issues with flipped Face Normals.

(Extrudes in general still ?)

So at least the Faces are there but require lots of Mesh Cleanup and Alignment

actions in e.g. Modo.

While C4D Export seems to be a bit better.

(So as a workaround VW c4d > C4D fbx > Modo)

Edited by zoomer

@zoomer @Taproot 

The missing geometry that sometimes happen to VW PIO's like slabs, roofs and others,  is cased by flipped face normals and are easy fixed in TM. You can use the material picker to select the texture and under "more..." you can make it double-sided. In fact you can select all material in the imported file and make them all double sided in one click.

• Like 1

I downloaded Twinmotion last night and started playing around with it.  I exported to C4D from Vectorworks and that seemed to work fine.

I think I'l be able to figure  the program out by playing around but it would be nice to find and in depth getting tutorial on how to use the program.

21 hours ago, Hans-Olav said:

The missing geometry that sometimes happen to VW PIO's like slabs, roofs and others,  is cased by flipped face normals and are easy fixed in TM.

Yes,

but 2-sided Materials are the least workaround that may stil not always work without

problems (e.g. certain GI solutions)

I think it would still be nice if the Faces wouldn't be flipped at all from the beginning.

(But asked for that since 2014)

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Once I've exported to C4D and imported into Twinmotion and worked on the file, is there a way to make revisions in VW and have them updated in TM without having to redo all my TM work, like I used to be able to do with Artlantis? I'm guessing not without a plug-in.

It's been twenty years since I used Artlantis, btw! It's been fun playing with TM, takes me back to the simplicity of Artlantis.

I like Twinmotion, but it is useless to me until VW releases an export plugin. I've been using Artlantis over the years and the ability to re-export from VW is priceless. There is a direct Twinmotion plugin from Archicad and Revit. I have contacted VW and they never got back to me as to when we might have one.

• 3 weeks later...