michael john williams

VW 2019 viewports drop down

Question

The top drop down menus for viewports and layers and classes is much smaller on 2019 than 2018. Hence it is not easy to switch from layer to layer or viewports to layers, etc. Is there a way for making the width of this dropdown wider?

The navigation pallet is ok but takes a double click and not so quick and also takes up more space on the screen.

• Like 1

23 answers to this question

You may not have realised yet, but one of the improvements with 2019 is that you can expand the drop-downs for both classes and layers. I think its a huge improvement as it is remembers the last size you made.

Ok Thanks. I will check it out.

I have just realised this is my mistake.  If  you click on the layer symbol at the top, layers pop down and you can easily switch to layers and sheets, etc

Ah no I was not mistaken as you can only edit here but not switch. However I have now found if you click on all layers the list is easier to see and you can move to other to other layers and sheets.

7 hours ago, michael john williams said:

The top drop down menus for viewports and layers and classes is much smaller on 2019 than 2018. Hence it is not easy to switch from layer to layer or viewports to layers, etc. Is there a way for making the width of this dropdown wider?

You can make the class/layer dropdown menus wider. With the menu extended, click and pull on the three dots in the bottom right hand corner and resize as needed.

Kevin

783349851_ScreenShot2018-09-21at7_14_27AM.thumb.png.986147d13ae568d6417c39cc02560ae2.png

I wish we Could do this on the Info Pallet - drag left so that there is more room

Or if the drop-down right justified so you could see the full names.

Class.png

4 minutes ago, Ethan R. said:

I wish we Could do this on the Info Pallet - drag left so that there is more room

Or if the drop-down right justified so you could see the full names.

Like this?

139419555_ScreenShot2018-09-21at7_24_06AM.thumb.png.254224aca902e82a6c3693376319850d.png

I dragged the OIP very wide, adjusted the menu width and then made the OIP narrow again....

Kevin

@Ethan R. How do you get your classes to drop down Non-hierarchically. I much prefer the list view that you show above. Is that just a Windows thing?

There's an option on the Vectorworks Preferences Session tab where you can uncheck the hierarchical display.

• Like 4

@Kevin - lol - odd workaround - works for a bit- then if I re-open VectorWorks (mostly due to crashing) it has to be done again.

3 hours ago, Ethan R. said:

@Kevin - lol - odd workaround - works for a bit- then if I re-open VectorWorks (mostly due to crashing) it has to be done again.

Like any other change, it only holds if you finish the session it was applied in by quitting Vectorworks. If Vectorworks crashes before you've quit the setting will revert back to where it was the last time you quit.

Kevin

• Confused 1

On 9/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

You can make the class/layer dropdown menus wider. With the menu extended, click and pull on the three dots in the bottom right hand corner and resize as needed.

Kevin

783349851_ScreenShot2018-09-21at7_14_27AM.thumb.png.986147d13ae568d6417c39cc02560ae2.png

EVERY time you open a drawing or start the program, it does NOT remeber the size.  What a waste of time and an added step.  I want my drafting to have fewer steps and be more streamlined.

15 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

EVERY time you open a drawing or start the program, it does NOT remeber the size.  What a waste of time and an added step.  I want my drafting to have fewer steps and be more streamlined.

The change in width I made to my Class dropdown in the OIP is still holding. Which dropdown are you resizing? Maybe its a Windows issue.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The change in width I made to my Class dropdown in the OIP is still holding. Which dropdown are you resizing? Maybe its a Windows issue.

Kevin

Classes

On 10/3/2018 at 4:58 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

In the OIP or the mode bar?

KM

What is OIP and mode bar?

48 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

What is OIP and mode bar?

The OIP is the Object Info Palette. You'll notice there are tooltips for some terms in the forum here. OIP is underlined and if you hold the mouse over it the tooltip will appear.

416686301_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_40_45AM.thumb.png.0c75a98aebe0611878528f6ce8faf268.png

The mode bar is the area across the top of the VW drawing window. Its called that because you'll find the various "modes" for tools there.

49454752_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_36_50AM.thumb.png.3fcb656aa59660c915e514fe598b1fbd.png

There are slightly different drop downs for Layers and Classes in each location.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The OIP is the Object Info Palette. You'll notice there are tooltips for some terms in the forum here. OIP is underlined and if you hold the mouse over it the tooltip will appear.

416686301_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_40_45AM.thumb.png.0c75a98aebe0611878528f6ce8faf268.png

The mode bar is the area across the top of the VW drawing window. Its called that because you'll find the various "modes" for tools there.

49454752_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_36_50AM.thumb.png.3fcb656aa59660c915e514fe598b1fbd.png

There are slightly different drop downs for Layers and Classes in each location.

Kevin

Ah Mode Bar.  To many Acronyms in  my life LOL.  I want to stretch it and have it stay stretched every time I open it.

17 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

Ah Mode Bar.  To many Acronyms in  my life LOL.  I want to stretch it and have it stay stretched every time I open it.

It must be a Windows issue. VW remembers where I left it between sessions on a Mac. @Jim Wilson could you test stretching the mode bar Class dropdown size on a Windows machine. Does it hold the position you set between restarts?

Kevin

Those dropdowns retain their positions between restarts of Vectorworks for me. I am not sure f they are the same settings location as the docked palettes and other workspace prefs, but to test @MartinFahrer, please launch Vectorworks 2019 (I wasnt aware of this as an issue from SP0, but I am on SP1, you should update as well if you havent already) then move the object info palette to the center of the screen, expand both of throse dropdowns to where you want them, then shut down Vectorworks normally. 

After launching Vectorworks again, do none of those changes stick, only the object info palette, or all of them?

Side note: If Vectorworks gives you any errors during shutdown, that can sometimes indicate preferences were not saved properly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Those dropdowns retain their positions between restarts of Vectorworks for me. I am not sure f they are the same settings location as the docked palettes and other workspace prefs, but to test @MartinFahrer, please launch Vectorworks 2019 (I wasnt aware of this as an issue from SP0, but I am on SP1, you should update as well if you havent already) then move the object info palette to the center of the screen, expand both of throse dropdowns to where you want them, then shut down Vectorworks normally. 

After launching Vectorworks again, do none of those changes stick, only the object info palette, or all of them?

Side note: If Vectorworks gives you any errors during shutdown, that can sometimes indicate preferences were not saved properly.

I just saw there was an update   I updated that and I am in the process of resetting the mode bar.  Not really interested in the OIP being open.  I either have to move to another screen to open it (Slows things down on a pen display) or clutter up my drawing screen.  I think I may have found the fix though.

I just did as you suggested and after the update to SP1 I am pleased to report IT WORKS!!!!!!! 😄    😄  😄

I'm very happy thank you!! 

2018-10-11 15.43.25.jpg

Edited by MartinFahrer
  • Like 2