Unavoidable new technology!

VincentCuclair

Question

17 answers to this question

Well, the way i'll be setting it up:

Drawing with a pen/pencil/ in my right hand as a stylus.

Manipulating/rotating/zooming/orbit etc with the left.

Glas table-top with the leap motion sensor underneath and a screen on top.........

That sounds good - reinventing the old drawing board and having the benefits of the computer!

Interesting video. I guess we will have to wait and see how things develop or if it takes off...

The motion sensor would need to pick up the pen movement rather than your hand, a touch screen would be better then you can get a feel for the stylus against a surface.

I could probably do with the extra exercise but this would probably be exhausting ;)

What always annoys me with these "Novelties" is that, now that tablets are accessible, we still don't see them being made into cheap Cintique replacements.

Leap offers another option, nothing really new, just another way of looking at it.

If someone could just create a Translator i could plug into an iPad, Android or Windows Tablet that relays sketch input directly to desktops/laptops then Wacom would have to behave instead of oblige. i hope there is a flurry of similar input devices that causes everyone to rethink the connection paradigm.

No matter how good this concept may be it will be sometime before the 3DMouse, Stylus, Keyboard combo can be beaten . . . . . .

IMHO

I think that if the sensor can distinguish movements in 3D space it should be able to be programmed to work even when using a pen/your hands/ a stylus etc on a flat table top...like apple touch pads......What NV need to get developed os how to apply click, double click, left click etc

Edited by Vincent C

I think that probably the easiest way to speed up programs would be to have voice recognition built in, so one could dictate to the program all of the things you wanted as you were drawing (adding records, value, z height etc).

Probably the reason why this has never caught on is that it would make for a very odd workplace. But then I'm sure we all mutter anyway...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I messed with one at home for awhile with various application, either it can be integrated directly into the application as a supported input device, or you can map your input to existing functions. I was able to get it to pan generally left and right, but full integration is where it would shine, letting you grab a model in the design layer and look it over by rotating it in your hands.

They are looking into interfaces like this and other 3D scanning tech in R&D but no official word yet.