Sign in to follow this  
HP Sauce

Grass

What methods do you lot use for making realistic grass in a render?

I've been toying with the idea of converting a stipple to mesh/3d polys, but wondered if anyone has a better solution.

There are grass textures that come with VW...why not give those a try...

Yes, try those, or... I often simply take a digital photo of the grass at a particular site, then use the image to create a texture. It usually works pretty well for overall impression, but not quite as well for real close-up shots.

Another approach is to use a typical grass image with a texture bump mapped to a fractal surface contour generator to give the illusion of the waviness or spikiness.

For some scenes a series of ImageProps taken from the actual site is more than adequate to fill in the background scenery details.

In addition, it often takes more than just Photoshop's Offset filter to get rid of the 'checkerboard' pattern from the gradient in the photo.

This tutorial (referring to video but also applies to renderings) explains how:

High-Pass Texture Tiling

Regards,

Tim

Hello highpass:

Try a Granite color shader with different shades of green (several very dark green), and a Wrapped Leather bump shader with all amplitudes except Fold Amplitude turned down.

Edited by Dave Donley

Wow that looks like a putting green.

I guess that just goes to show how a bit of experimenting with all those almost overwhelming number of shader options can give you something unexpected yet just about right.

Still, that would have taken me way too long to figure out.

Thanks for the example Dave, I'm inspired to think outside of the shader box!

Despite still appearing rather flat, your example works a bloody treat Dave, thanks a lot. This texture plus a few 3d 'grass' symbols I've made produce a tidy result.

PS I had tried copy/pasting the aforementioned 3d grass symbol multiple times but for some reason my computer didn't like rendering 6,000 copies of it... strange. Shame, as small patches of it made as tests looked excellent.

Another shader that can look kind of like grass is to use the Marble shader, with the Detail turned down to zero. It produces a kind of mottled spotty look.

instead of a shader, i use a solid color. this works most of the time.

How did you make a solid color look like grass??

Dave, you should post that grass texture to the resource sharing section of this site.

highpass, I'd love to see your final result.

Here's one we made a while ago from the example given in this thread. The rendering itself has lots of obvious faults but the grass came out really well compared to the single colour/standard grass textures we'd been using before.