Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 makes VW2024 unusable

astephens

Question

I updated my OS to Sonoma 14.4.1 last night and today Vectorworks 2024 is completely unusable. The program will open and it will open files/ create new ones, but the second I touch a key or use the mouse the bottom portion of the vw window flashes (almost like when a logic board fails) and then the entire computer crashes. No other programs exhibit this behavior.

Anyone else experience this?

For reference, I'm running a 2023 MacBook Pro with an M2 Max chip and 96GB of RAM. I was previously running Sonoma 14.3.1 and all was well until the update to 14.4.1

• Like 1

Good morning. I have the same Mac as the author, and I haven't updated yet. If the same thing happened to me it would be really a big problem now. Is there an official position on this? Thank you

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We're not seeing these issues with Vectorworks and Mac OS 14.4.1.  Have you tried repairing your install using the advanced options in the updater?
The updater is located in the Vectorworks 2023 Updater folder in the Vectorworks application folder.

I have been experiencing this same issue since Sonoma 14.4. For me it comes and goes and sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days and then it'll happen 4 times in 30 minutes. 
I'm running Vectorworks 2024 on a 16" MacBook Pro with an M3 Pro and 36 GB of ram. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

We're not seeing these issues with Vectorworks and Mac OS 14.4.1.  Have you tried repairing your install using the advanced options in the updater?
The updater is located in the Vectorworks 2023 Updater folder in the Vectorworks application folder.

I attempted that initially, but it crashed the entire system when I tried to do anything. I ended up uninstalling the program and reinstalling from a new download. I was emailing with Rob Nykolaishen and he verified that SP4.1 had just been released on Tuesday, 4/2. I did two fresh installs hoping that something would work before reverting my whole OS so that I could get back to work.

22 hours ago, JuanP said:

@astephens I finished updating my M2 - MacBook, and I don't see any issues. Can you also send us the crash reports, please? 

I had to wipe my whole system to revert to an older OS, so I don't have the crash logs, with exception of the last one that I pasted into a google doc. Link here. Had I been thinking a little more clearly, I would have saved all of the reports before starting over.

2 minutes ago, astephens said:

I had to wipe my whole system to revert to an older OS, so I don't have the crash logs, with exception of the last one that I pasted into a google doc. Link here. Had I been thinking a little more clearly, I would have saved all of the reports before starting over.

And just in case there is an access issue with the link, here is a PDF:

Apple Error log.pdf

• Like 2

This happened to me too. With VectorWorks running, the Mac becomes completely unresponsive to mouse input. However, keyboard shortcuts still worked. Save and quit command worked, but even mouse input in the save-as window was not possible. The issue is system wide. Opening Terminal and force reboot from prompt was the only way short of a hard shutdown to get back in the os.

I think it may somehow be related to password prompt after waking the screen. Disabling that seemed to prevent the issue from occurring. No other application induced this behavior. This was with 14.4. After reinstalling the entire OS (I still have password prompt off) the problem hasn't reoccured. Since updated to 14.4.1 without issue.

I also have the same issue. It started with flashing on the monitor (I use an M2 MacBook Air in clamshell mode with 32" LG display) and has now developed into complete hard resets every now and then. One time it was six in a morning and then sometimes it's once a day. A little frustrating to say the least and hope some for of fix will arrive soon from Apple or Vectorworks. 

A crash log is attached. 

Crashlog.txt

Hello,

I have the same problem as Andy Matthews with my MBP M3 Max.

macOS 14.4.1 (before 14.4.1 IO had no issues)

The problem mainly occurs in clamshell mode. There is a brief screen flicker when I am in 3D view

and then a complete system reboot a few seconds later.
I have never had such severe crashes before.

The programs affected are: Vectoworks 2024 and Sketchup 2024.

I have lowered the Hz of my external monitor from 144 to 120 and am currently only working with an open Macbook Pro.

Never had an issue with laptop-only!

My gut feeling is that it's more of a problem with macOS than with VW, but that's just a feeling.

Greetings from Germany

Tobi

Edited by Tobias Kern
  • Like 1

Hey there,

today I'm in the office and have no problems/crashes so far with clamshell-mode.

I really tried to crash the system, as I have done many times in the last few days.

In the office, I use a different monitor with only 72 Hz.

What's also different in the office: I do not use powerline-2-ethernet adapter like: 

https://avm.de/produkte/wlan-mesh/fritzpowerline-1260-wlan-set/

… maybe monitor with high Hz-rates are problematic (in my case)

… maybe powerline-2-ethernet-adapter are problematic.

… maybe the combination of both.

… maybe something else

Greetings

Tobi

Hi zoomer,

Anything can happen in IT.

Years ago, I had internet problems for 3/4 of a year because a power supply unit of a router was defective two houses (same property) away.
A technician was able to detect interference with a cheap Chinese radio.

The interferer (power supply unit) was found and removed and the Internet and the Fritzbox router worked perfectly again.
Since then, I believe that anything is possible!

Greetings Tobi

• Like 1

Two Vectorworks users in our company have been experiencing similar issues with Sonoma 14.4.1 on Mac (laptop). The issue happens when you click or toggle into Vectorworks from another application. Mouse freezes, computer reboots. It happens a few times a day. Been working with our IT service as well as Vectoworks support for a couple weeks, no luck so far.

• Like 1
On 4/5/2024 at 8:20 AM, Kees W said:

This happened to me too. With VectorWorks running, the Mac becomes completely unresponsive to mouse input. However, keyboard shortcuts still worked. Save and quit command worked, but even mouse input in the save-as window was not possible. The issue is system wide. Opening Terminal and force reboot from prompt was the only way short of a hard shutdown to get back in the os.

I think it may somehow be related to password prompt after waking the screen. Disabling that seemed to prevent the issue from occurring. No other application induced this behavior. This was with 14.4. After reinstalling the entire OS (I still have password prompt off) the problem hasn't reoccured. Since updated to 14.4.1 without issue.

Your observation of crashes happening after waking the screen, seems to mesh with this discussion:

4 hours ago, zeno said:

Good morning. I have the same Mac as the author, and I haven't updated yet. If the same thing happened to me it would be really a big problem now. Is there an official position on this? Thank you

We're currently working on an official message.

• Like 3

also caused by mac os sonoma from 14.4 on is the fact the certain page sizes for large format printers are not available in the printer page setup dialog...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255525511?answerId=260308788022&sortBy=best#260308788022

the thread in the german vwx forum...

https://www.vectorworksforum.eu/topic/27839-papierformat-von-drucker-wird-nicht-angezeigt/#comment-129529

Edited by bjoerka
12 minutes ago, bjoerka said:

also caused by mac os sonoma from 14.4 on is the fact the certain page sizes for large format printers are not available in the printer page setup dialog...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255525511?answerId=260308788022&sortBy=best#260308788022

the thread in the german vwx forum...

https://www.vectorworksforum.eu/topic/27839-papierformat-von-drucker-wird-nicht-angezeigt/#comment-129529

We have reported this issue to Apple.  We are also seeing the same issue with Apple's own TextEdit application.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bjoerka said:

That is what Marc Wittwer in Switzerland also said.

But in my german localized version of Sonoma all Apple application show the paper options for our Canon large format printer .-)

Here's what I'm seeing on a Apple M1 Mini with TextEdit.  Regardless of printer, Page Setup shows the same page options.  When you go to the Print command, you'll see the Epson printer offers a much larger selection of page sizes.  This large list of page sizes should also be available in Page Setup.  Perhaps it's only some printer manufacturers having the issue?

PageSetup_vs_Print.png

Updated my M3 Max MBP to Sonoma 14.4.1 this morning and my system crashed once Vectorworks opened. It took a long time for it to load. 

Updated to the latest version of Vectorworks 2024. Did a repair on Vectorworks 2024. Did a macOS recovery. Still crashes my system when Vectorworks loads.

Removed my M3 Max from my Studio Display and LG 5K and took it out of clamshell. Vectorworks loaded quickly and system didn't crash. Was able to plug both monitors back in (with MBP screen open) and it worked... until it went to sleep and then I opened Vectorworks and crash.

Currently only able to use Vectorworks without a display connected. Unproductive day by far.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Gunther said:

Here's what I'm seeing on a Apple M1 Mini with TextEdit.  Regardless of printer, Page Setup shows the same page options.  When you go to the Print command, you'll see the Epson printer offers a much larger selection of page sizes.  This large list of page sizes should also be available in Page Setup.  Perhaps it's only some printer manufacturers having the issue?

Hi Gunther, that looks different to what i see when i select our Canon large format printer.

In TextEdit i can select all page sizes that are available for the Canon printer.

In Vectorworks i only see what is available as if you print to a standard printer or i.e. pdf writer.

page setup in Apple´s TextEdit

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-12um12_36_56.png.c6c877ad69392edb7b50505f24691472.png

page setup in Vectorworks...

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-12um12_37_28.png.ddfad96c46c2cceb88342d19870605e1.png

1 hour ago, bjoerka said:

Hi Gunther, that looks different to what i see when i select our Canon large format printer.

In TextEdit i can select all page sizes that are available for the Canon printer.

In Vectorworks i only see what is available as if you print to a standard printer or i.e. pdf writer.

page setup in Apple´s TextEdit

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-12um12_36_56.png.c6c877ad69392edb7b50505f24691472.png

page setup in Vectorworks...

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-12um12_37_28.png.ddfad96c46c2cceb88342d19870605e1.png

Your screen capture for Apple´s TextEdit, looks like you went to the Print command.  What if you select the Page Setup command, do you still see the expansive list or a reduced list?

• Like 1