Warning pop up when opening 2023 files in 2024

Vectorhead

Question

Hello,

Curious if I'm the only person having issues with opening 2023 files in 2024? I receive an error warning "Some of the objects could not be regenerated. This file may have solids that have failed to regenerate." Having spent time trying to figure it out I narrowed it down to the Vectorworks "Door" tool. If I delete the doors from the file and import again the warning doesn't show up. Checking an imported file that had the warning the doors and the door OIP work fine! Not sure how this made it past Beta testing.  

• Like 1

25 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Vectorhead said:

Yes have the big red X's in my tool set for WinDoor plug-in.

Not sure if I should delete WinDoor from my custom Workspace already,

as it looks that all partner plugins are missing.

Don't know if a bug or intended.

I use standard stylized VW Doors here and do not see problems so far.

In contrary at first glance it looks like some geometry issues were fixed

with VW 2024.

(And some Wall Closure issues too ?)

Hello Matt,

I duplicated a file that had the import issue and tried your suggestion of turning off the thresholds prior to import and I still receive the warning.

What I did notice is the threshold doesn't appear in top plan view unless I turn it off and back on in the OIP.

I noticed partner products now show up in my version 2024.

Edited by Vectorhead
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Vectorhead said:

Hello Matt,

I duplicated a file that had the import issue and tried your suggestion of turning off the thresholds prior to import and I still receive the warning.

What I did notice is the threshold doesn't appear in top plan view unless I turn it off and back on in the OIP.

I noticed partner products now show up in my version 2024.

Does the file also have Door Styles or Door objects in symbols with thresholds?  If so, those would need to be turned off as well before bringing the file forward.  In any case, I don't know if it gains you anything to do this because the Door plug-in object can still be reset after the file is brought forward.  So, in the end, you should wind up with the same result either way.

That said, if you're sure you turned off all thresholds in all Doors and Door Styles in the file and still get the message, then there may be some other object causing the issue.

Hello All,

Just installed the latest Vectorworks 2024 update and I'm still receiving the same warning pop up. I guess we'll have to wait for the next update. I know my workgroup won't update and start using 2024 when we receive warnings on opening 2023 files.

Had hoped the issue would have been resolved with the update. 

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Hey @Vectorhead

I'm not sure if this is what @Matt Panzer meant, but in his earlier comment he mentions that Door plug-in objects can be reset after the file is brought forward. I take this to mean that simply running the 'Reset All Plug-Ins' menu command will have the same benefit as turning off the thresholds prior to import. Go: Tools > Utilities > Reset All Plug-Ins. 

Right.  Using the "Reset all Plug-ins" command after import might be all that's needed to get them to look correct in VW 2024 Update 1.

Sorry to be late to this thread but have just spotted it. I've also been having the same message when updating a previous version file to 2024. Alongside this I've been having major horrors in 2024 (reported as a bug, tech support have responded and am awaiting weekday opportunity for a session linked up with them) of wall / roof / floor elements randomly not appearing in sections (eg two walls of same construction; one appears and one doesn't. Same with floors/roofs.). Consequently I have to chase around every viewport of every project playing "spot the missing things" - harder than it sounds, due to the absent nature of missing things (bit Zen that, apologies).

Anyway - have done a bit of checking today. Updating a file with all door thresholds off - same error message. Updating with all doors deleted - opens without error message and appears fine (notwithstanding absence of doors). Update a file with doors/thresholds and reset all Plug-Ins afterwards - error message and various missing elements on drawing sheet even after reset.

So - sounds like my problem isn't related to the same issue but to some other. Any tips on sleuthing out the issue?

Many thanks

Phil B 

On 1/11/2024 at 8:32 PM, Vectorhead said:

Hello All,

Service pack 3 is out and the same error message occurs. I find it a bit hard to believe that this door/window bug is still occurring!

I believe the issue lies in the previous version Door objects creating geometry that Vectorworks 2024 does not like.  This is likely due to the Parasolids 3D geometry library (Vectorworks uses internally) being pickier about certain invalid geometry (typically self-intersecting geometry).  It's even quite possible that the problem geometry had something to do with the problem geometry in the previous version.  If this is the case, the alert you're seeing is not really a bug and the only way to correct the problem is to reset the object (as suggested above in this thread) to recreate the geometry so that Parasolids can work with it.

Note: I am not an engineer so usual disclaimers apply...