any ideas on how to create a wall like this , ideally in 3d as well as 2d for detail drawings . I understand I can create the fins as separate items , maybe 15 different profiles and assemble. Just looking for any suggestions ?

If you will be doing this on a regular basis, seems like a good candidate for Marrionette.  Otherwise, you are modeling the fin assembly manually and using a wall style to depict the wall it will attach to as you indicated.

You could have a component in the wall object to depict the maximum extents of these fins for 2D depiction or convert your modeled parts to auto hybrids if something more accurate is required.

• Like 3

VW had a video about a similar Wall at the time they released Subdivision V1 or V2.

(VW 2020 or 2021 ?)

As Kevin said,

basically they modeled the freeform front by modifying a cube shape in SubD

with reasonable control point tessellation,

then converted that Volume to a generic Solid,

and finally boolean subtracted solid slices for the voids between the lamellas.

As with all (non-history based) Solid Modeling,

you usually keep backup copies of each parts and its states,

in case you want to do changes later.

In your example 1, with "beams" and a sharp/non freeform resulting outer form,

opposed to deeper boards (similar to case 2) and/or a smooth curved

outward face ....

you can use a SubD with sharp control points/edges

(which means basically no "subdivision")

and have easier control.

If you locate your control points outside of the "beam grid", in the voids between

the beams, you will avoid unwanted extra edges on the outer face of your beams.

And as Jeff said,

if you need that more often and are able to get used to work with Marionettes,

that will offer even more options, more changeability and especially more "automation".

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 3

You can create this type of object using subdivision surfaces. When you create the subdivision, you can choose the crease settings to give you the sharp edges to the things that you require. Then create a solid object that creates the gaps between the fins and subtract that from your subdivision surface. Once created, you can edit the gaps between the fins, or you can edit the subdivision surface, and then recreate the overall shape.

That's how we did these seats.

2023-06-22_09-01-03.png

• Like 1

first use the NURBS tool to create the main geometry with the loft surface too.

use closed nurbs.

when u have the primitive geometri, use the "Create contours" tool and decide the distance between each counter.

then extrude each profile (nurbe) with the Push Pull tool.

Dont try using the intersection of solid, cause it would create fins with a chamfered or rounded edge, as they would follow the slanted faces of the original solid.

Hope it helps 🙂

I like the solutions!  But they seem to map the front edge onto the implied surface.  I went for contour of a surface, then EAP along the contours to model the lumber at constant profile.

I'm not so good with SubD, and did not make this work.  Any of you SubD experts care to post a solution to examine?

-B

SlatFence.vwximage.thumb.png.06a76a5e72300feaa5cfd07fcbe850f4.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

I like the solutions!  But they seem to map the front edge onto the implied surface.  I went for contour of a surface, then EAP along the contours to model the lumber at constant profile.

I'm not so good with SubD, and did not make this work.  Any of you SubD experts care to post a solution to examine?

-B

SlatFence.vwximage.thumb.png.06a76a5e72300feaa5cfd07fcbe850f4.png

With symbols inserted in Walls you have a lot of flexibility as to where the insertion point is + how it aligns with the Wall on insertion:

Screenshot2023-06-23at08_41_27.png.4cb7980dde3975dae0c738a33776f842.png

In addition, when you move the Wall the symbol moves with it. You can resize the Wall + assuming the symbol is adequately sized the cut-out will continue to apply along its length + height. Doors, Windows + other symbols inserted in the Wall will punch holes through the slats. Downside is a vast amount of geometry for VW to calculate if it's being applied on a large scale but always good to see how far you can push the software!

• Like 1

Hey! Start by conceptualizing the overall design and dimensions of the wall. Consider factors like the height, width, and spacing between the fins. Use a 3D modeling software like AutoCAD, SketchUp, or Revit to create a 3D model of the wall with fins. Begin by drawing the basic structure of the wall and then add the fins as separate elements. You can create multiple profiles for the fins to add variety. Model each fin as a separate component or object. Apply the desired profiles and dimensions to create the variations you want. Ensure that the fins align properly with the wall structure. Generate detailed 2D drawings of the wall and fins from different perspectives. Include dimensions, materials, and any additional information necessary for construction or fabrication. Use the 3D model and detailed drawings as references during the construction process. Assemble the fins onto the wall structure according to your design and specifications. I think this would help.

• Confused 1

HI Edward,  

Just discussion.  That would also be true of ACAD and Sketchup.   But, this is a five minute job for most VW users that I am aware of.  When I saw your post I started working on this image below.  The two panels monogram VW.  Hard to see because of the moire pattern.  

If I wrote a tutorial for this (which I am prone to do), it would only be 15 minutes at the most.

Construction Method 

1 - Matched curves

2 - Loft NURBS 

3 - Shell tool

4 - Subtract Solids

FINALIMAGES.thumb.jpg.7fd0da7f1696a12c632a55ec84d973fb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1