2D into a 3D

59 minutes ago, ASweet said:

What I would like to do is take this 2D picture and turn it into a 3D, where I can add  different thing to the picture, is this possible?

Yes, if you know how to model in 3D 🙂

There is a perspective matching tool in Vectorworks that can be handy for generating the correct perspective of your modeled items.

Depending on what you want to add to the scene, it might be faster and easier to do so in a Photoshop or Affinity Photo.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

what about cameramatch?

That would be my go to in this situation, you'd still need to model a basic "field" of the existing building say the stage platform and side walls massing to make sure camera match is good. Once done add the new work on an additional layer so you can turn existing off. 

• Like 1

I have a dream:

That some day a picture like this is sent to A.I. and it returns a 3D stage model.

That some day A.I. will create a virtual stage out of this.

That some day virtual artists will perfom on this virtual stage.

That some day A.I. will fill the virtual seats with virtual visitors.

That some day A.I. will write reviews of the concert.

That some day, from out of my grave, I will never realize what a wonderful a concert I have missed.

Edited by halfcoupler
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1
2 hours ago, halfcoupler said:

Yes, great work, I wonder how long it took for the modeling? Aluthough some details are missing, I estimate is was not less than 3 hrs ?

Thanks 🙂 I cheated that model something fierce on the details.  I usually budget about 1/2 a day for stuff like this.  I didn't have to model much give how symmetrical it is, lots of symbols, copying, and mirroring.  It turned out the only asymmetrical part was the back of house, which you barely see in the renderings.  Here's a look behind the curtain at the modeled items, roofs and 2 walls removed for clarity...

1662556311_ScreenShot2023-05-13at07_22_34.thumb.png.f4c584ec33e6449006d723363aec51ec.png

572126518_ScreenShot2023-05-13at07_23_24.thumb.png.0b075bf8674ca355b954fe87c2352cbd.png

See, not too much there after all.  I was so tempted to throw this tiny church inside the stadium context model I am currently working on...

NDAs though 😞

Anyhow, a little over an hour for the modeling, which always seems to be the fast part for me.  Architectural shapes are way easier than landscape.

The time suck is always in the material & lighting research/application, which took over 4 hours with all the test renders and material building.  Then I had to learn and apply completely new topics for me such as stained glass behavior, Glow in materials for lighting, and then developing a few custom renderworks styles.  Plus I had to learn how to cut out and perspective correct the actual stained glass from that photo just to see if I could make it passable.  This all between Friday client things and answering a few questions here on the forum.

If people are wondering why... I try to do challenges like this a few times a month and budget about 4 hours for R&D each week.  I find it is a lot easier to get motivated to do something quick and dirty when it's not your own billable work, a nice sandbox for trying risky techniques, no loss if it crashes and burns... Mike Lin's "Be Loose" meets 3D modeling.  It's also nice to play outside your industry to hone skills or take different approaches so you don't get stuck in ruts.  Well, that's what I tell myself and my students at least 🙂

That is how I approached learning Vectorworks since joining this forum.  During that time, I have learned site modeling, drone, photogrammetry, LiDAR, and SubD modeling all in my free time.  I try to alternate between Vectorworks, Procreate, Affinity, and Twinmotion.  Recently, I've added the occasional Rhino thing to keep @VIRTUALENVIRONS on his toes.  It's pretty amazing how a little bit of effort each week culminates in a diverse toolbox.  I would probably still be using AutoCAD and sketchup if it wasn't for this forum and VWX Uni.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 4
On 5/13/2023 at 3:23 AM, jeff prince said:

Oh, I just couldn't resist this opportunity to play with stained glass.

That and I've never done an interior rendering in Vectorworks.

Thanks for the info and drawing you posted a while back @markdd

I'm throwing in the towel now.  The can lights will have to come another day.

Let's just say I like being a landscape architect better after this exercise 🙂

church1.thumb.png.0202c33651299fa39f1056701963c1d5.png

church2.thumb.png.458b8ed1021888c605c82f66bf797021.png

church3.thumb.png.229826503844aeb4edd2a9b885022943.png

That's awesome you got some real talent.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

You can extract a crude model using basic UV-mapping. Here is a quick and not very ambitions example. I have no clue about the dimensions of anything, so it needs tweaking everywhere. It would also look better if I added parts for the podium, so this is just a simple example. Lightning also needs work.

1228497030_Skarmavbild2023-05-18kl_10_17_19.thumb.png.f8ddc01562131c8962e906a71715a8e4.png

Church.zip 2.99 MB · 1 download

So was this done outside of VW + brought in...?

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

So was this done outside of VW + brought in...?

It was done outside VW and brought it as I have quicker way of doing it. 

My point was however that you can do it in VW too. On a basic level, you can for example use the Photoshop "perspective killer" tool (or whatever it's called, and generate a picture for each side, create a RE texture for each side and map it the five respective sides (used in the example).  

Perspective killer tool in Photoshop.jpg

• Like 1