Robert Janiak

Export Lighting Devices to DWG

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I have problem with export my project to DWG. All my Lighting Devices hunging down in DWG file even if they are rotated at -180 in X direction.

How can I export to DWG with correct rotation?

Convert to group and DLVP do not works ūüėČ

vwx.png

dwg.png

Edited by Robert Janiak

The 3D rotation is a property of the Vectorworks Lighting Device object. When exporting to DWG you can only get the natural orientation of the symbol.

vision expects our lights to be pointed down, so you would need to create a second floor based symbol, that way there is no rotation set, and it should be ok. @Mark Eli, is that second part correct?

@Rob Books is there any chance that this issue Will be addressed in the near future.It is very commonplace to have to provide DWG exports to other party’s that are not Vectorworks users. 

It is a real problem that we cannot export our designs to others accurately! 

Would it be an idea if the export DWG function would create a 3D duplicate symbol of each POI and then export that with the appropriate rotation values? 

We really need this! 

• Like 1

that is more a question for @Klinzey; I just build the content, he is the engineer.

8 minutes ago, Rob Books said:

that is more a question for @Klinzey; I just build the content, he is the engineer.

I’d Love to hear from him! 

I'll put in an enhancement request with out DWG team. I can't comment on when or if it will be implemented.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, klinzey said:

I'll put in an enhancement request with out DWG team. I can't comment on when or if it will be implemented.

This issue also exists when exporting to Cinema 4D.  If you export lighting instruments to Cinema you get the correct rotation, but then the Symbol/instance relationship is broken i.e. each light is it's own piece of raw geometry as if using Groups, instead of Symbols.  If you Command + K the Lighting instrument back into just symbols - you get the correct symbol/instance parent child relationship you expect (and need) - but rotation is lost.  It's maddening! 

Anything that can be done to improve this - not just for DWG export - would be amazing.  Thank you.

CC: @Dave Donley

Edited by EAlexander
  • Like 1

@EAlexander This is annoying.First look for VW is great but if you need something more you get a lot of bugs and problems with basic things. Sometimes i thing that VW waste my time and not help me in my works :( Every day I finds something that does not work as it should.

While this ship has sailed as far as VW provided Spotlight fixtures is concerned, whenever my team make lighting device symbols, we always make a floor, hang and yoked out version to avoid those kinds of issues. The yoked out version is especially helpful as it displays the fixture correctly in 2D as well. Also very helpful when building ladders for design layer viewports as you can populate them with yoked out fixtures while the ladder is lying flat and have it look correct. 

40 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

While this ship has sailed as far as VW provided Spotlight fixtures is concerned, whenever my team make lighting device symbols, we always make a floor, hang and yoked out version to avoid those kinds of issues. The yoked out version is especially helpful as it displays the fixture correctly in 2D as well. Also very helpful when building ladders for design layer viewports as you can populate them with yoked out fixtures while the ladder is lying flat and have it look correct. 

This will be helpfull in a few cases. But not suffici√ęnt for all possible rotations that we hang fixtures in. We shouldn‚Äôt have to make a separate symbol for each rotation.¬†

Especially since now we can make the 3D portion of the instrument rotate any way we like using the standard rotation tools. 

6 minutes ago, Sebastiaan said:

This will be helpfull in a few cases. But not suffici√ęnt for all possible rotations that we hang fixtures in. We shouldn‚Äôt have to make a separate symbol for each rotation.¬†

Especially since now we can make the 3D portion of the instrument rotate any way we like using the standard rotation tools. 

Agreed - sidearmed units aren't the issue.  For me it's more like X-bars along pipes in a radial array pattern or strips along the curved edge of a round pasarelle catwalk.  This is where it gets you.  Fortunely, Cinema lets you select a group of objects and rotate them around their own center, but I'd like it to import correctly instead.

12 hours ago, Robert Janiak said:

@EAlexander This is annoying.First look for VW is great but if you need something more you get a lot of bugs and problems with basic things. Sometimes i thing that VW waste my time and not help me in my works :( Every day I finds something that does not work as it should.

I don't know that this is a bug - I'm not upset about it, I just think it isn't something that it was engineered to do.  Our job as users to is raise these case points with the developers and have a discussion.  Hopefully, some of these these things can improve moving forward.

12 hours ago, Robert Janiak said:

I think that’s a bit of a bold statement. It don’t think there are many programs that offer such versatility as VWX and I love doing al my work with it. I do have a lot of wishes for improvement however. 

Posted (edited)

@Sebastiaan¬†You are right. I love VW too. This is the versalite software. Always when I get nervous, it turns out that I forgot something or do not know something ūüėȬ†Thanks the forum for help me better understanding of the software.¬†

For resolve my problem I have just prepared Python script. It changes All Lighting Devices to Group with corrected rotation. I like automatization. Is there somebody who can tell me if is done correctly? For me works, but I do not know if it is maked according to programming art.

import vs

def ConvertToGroup(h):
	x,y,z = vs.GetSymLoc3D(h)
	x_rot = vs.GetRField(h,'Lighting Device','xRot')
	y_rot = vs.GetRField(h,'Lighting Device','yRot')
	z_rot = vs.GetRField(h,'Lighting Device','zRot')
	prev_object = vs.PrevObj(h)
	vs.SymbolToGroup(h, 1)
	h_group = vs.NextObj(prev_object)
	vs.Set3DRot(h_group, x_rot, y_rot, z_rot, x, y, z)

vs.ForEachObject(ConvertToGroup, "PON='Lighting Device'")

Zrzut ekranu (89).png

Zrzut ekranu (90).png

Edited by Robert Janiak
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Robert Janiak said:

@Sebastiaan¬†You are right. I love VW too. This is the versalite software. Always when I get nervous, it turns out that I forgot something or do not know something ūüėȬ†Thanks the forum for help me better understanding of the software.¬†

For resolve my problem I have just prepared Python script. It changes All Lighting Devices to Group with corrected rotation. I like automatization. Is there somebody who can tell me if is done correctly? For me works, but I do not know if it is maked according to programming art.

import vs
ÔĽŅ
def ConvertToGroup(h):
	x,y,z = vs.GetSymLoc3D(h)
	x_rot = vs.GetRField(h,'Lighting Device','xRot')
	y_rot = vs.GetRField(h,'Lighting Device','yRot')
	z_rot = vs.GetRField(h,'Lighting Device','zRot')
	prev_object = vs.PrevObj(h)
	vs.SymbolToGroup(h, 1)
	h_group = vs.NextObj(prev_object)
	vs.Set3DRot(h_group, x_rot, y_rot, z_rot, x, y, z)

vs.ForEachObject(CoÔĽŅnvertToGroup, "PON='Lighting Device'")ÔĽŅ
	ÔĽŅ

Thank you so much! I tried your script, but I get the following error:

File "<String>", Line 2

^

Syntax Error: Invalid character in identifier

Do you have an idea what this might be? I would love to try this script!

7 minutes ago, Robert Janiak said:

@Sebastiaan I am not expert. Did you change language to Python?

Here is my test file.

DWG rotation.vwx

Thank you, it works in your file indeed!

This is a great start. I'm not an expert either, but maybe someone on this forum could help us out and alter the script so the output will be 3d symbols in stead of just groups?

And then if we get ready, maybe someone could make it work for other POI too? Like trusses for instance?