macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

17 minutes ago, hh_berlin said:

@ptoner i must say, BenG is right. our office is planning to change to one of the big and really reliable cad software houses.

VW is getting worse and worse. and more expensive without any real improving - if so, then only a very delayed adaptation to new operating systems.

you cant use any so called update before service pack 3 - better 5

what a company philosophy is that?

It is not a philosophy, it is a coping mechanism. 

We already have made the change to another CAD/BIM Package. 

Edited by ptoner
  • 1 month later...

Upgraded to Mojave yesterday. Downgrading to High Sierra today.

Not worth the overall bugginess (in general) for a half-baked dark mode UI and a few bells and whistles. High Sierra runs smoother, is compatible with NVIDIA drivers, and is less locked down.

As with all things Apple lately, it seems like 10.13 is the "last good version" before Apple replace features with gimmicks. And my "legacy" software (Office 2011, Things 2, Wunderlist, Yojimbo, Bento, Neat) all run on it just fine. Also, it's nice to stay logged into all of my work Gmail accounts in Mail and Calendar... 

Edited by Mark Aceto
On 4/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, hh_berlin said:

@ptoner i must say, BenG is right. our office is planning to change to one of the big and really reliable cad software houses.

VW is getting worse and worse. and more expensive without any real improving - if so, then only a very delayed adaptation to new operating systems.

you cant use any so called update before service pack 3 - better 5

what a company philosophy is that?

Sorry, but your statements are wrong!

Performance
Vectorworks 2019 is so much faster than any previous version. And I've done my own speed tests with different projects.

Software Company
You want a bigger software house than Vectorworks, which works for architects and criticizes at the same time the costs for a professional software? Good luck with the search ... Allplan and Archicad will be gone very quickly ... much more expensive and in some areas of the software missing several years of development time! And Revit is too rigid .... you can, for example, still do not create rooms that are not limited by walls everywhere.

Adaptation operating systems
You seem to be addressing Mac OS Mojave. You know that Archicad has almost released the word-equal warning like Vectorworks ... so it seems like a major change. Why does nobody ask why Apple needs to change so many things? I love Apple products, but Mojave was really released too soon.

Vectorworks is the best BIM solution today and tomorrow.
For German-speaking users, I like to recommend my blog www.cad.ch

I had a look at your website  - www.cad.ch.  Truly excellent.  Well done indeed!!

I must admit - Using OSX Mojave took me to the edge of tolerance with Vectorworks and caused me weeks of lost production time.  However, whenever I dip into Windows, as I have on and off for 30 years, it takes me over the edge within an hour.  So... as long as VW supports Mac, I will stick with what I have used for over 25 years.  

I have tested Autocad and Revit often and run out of patience in a short time.   I just love the option of a 'drawing board' feel in Vectorworks when a quick 2d plan is needed and then working up into 3d with ease not far short of Sketchup for usability.  From day one the choice was Archicad or VW on Mac and the vote went for VW.  As for Revit, I remember the day when Autodesk bought out the developers and then gradually persuaded architects to wean away from Autocad.  Just like DWG, they have tried to make RVT a file standard to squeeze out opposition.  They would have succeeded but have not, which says a lot for the quality of alternatives that have so far prevented them from doing so.  As for BIM.  Well MiniCad had very good 3d and object modelling from early on.  Then Sketchup arrived with its outstanding ease of use.  Autocad bought Revit as they could see strong opposition from easier 3d modellers.  BIM is very late compared to auto manufacturers adoption of object modelling.  Vectorworks have gradually added BIM capability but these additions have added power while reducing usability to some degree.  However the basic ease of MiniCad is still buried in there when needed.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just because I've spent years in the post-production world, but Avid/DigiDesign has had this issue with ProTools for decades now. They're easily 6-12 months behind Apple on getting their app guaranteed for the OS. Granted, they're dealing with tons of drivers and external hardware, but if your platform works, don't switch, especially in the middle of production work. You're not losing security updates until you're a few versions out of bounds anyway. 

When you have some downtime, run a test. You can now run Mac VMs in VMWare Fusion and Parallels, and while it will be slower, you'll at least find these hiccups without losing everything. Or wait the six months until people who like living on the edge of the danger zone say the issues with that annual release are mostly fixed. 

I've lost countless hours to NOT listening to my own advice, so I'm speaking from painfully gained experience here 😉

• Like 2

@MaWi 

Unfortunately, optoner is mostly right.  I am a scientist, not an architect, so my comments are related to the Designer set of tools. (Yes, I know Nemestchek has abandoned all fields except architecture/landscape).  After I spent a month, fiddling with the buggy VW/Mojave, I finally reloaded VW from scratch, which seems to have fixed the crashing, hanging, and dead commands.

Yesterday, I decided to design a shoe horn.

Here are some of the commands that worked some of the time, but not others: (VW18 sp 6/Mojave / 2013 MBP, 2.6 Ghz, 16GB, 1TB SSD)

1. Add solids

2. Subtract solids

3. Push Pull

4. Fillet edge / chamfer edge

5. Randomly jumps between rendering/wire frame

6. Randomly jumps between views

For example, these objects are obviously symmetric.  On the horn part, I went down the left set of edges doing a fillet.  Worked OK, except refused to work in one spot.  I then started down the right side in the same order, same tool, same settings.  It would not fillet any edge.

My solution?  Cut the horn in half vertically along the long axis, copy and reverse the side, then join the two halves back together.  Time wasted - about two hours trying every trick in the book until that one worked.  This shoddy behavior has been going on for years - all versions of Mac OS and VW.  I have sent numerous files to Nemeschek for fixing, which they do.  But I am tired of the money rat race for no fixes to very old problems. 

image.thumb.png.4e07379d13563b1a935790489a590acf.png

Edited by BenG
4 hours ago, BenG said:

@MaWi 

Unfortunately, optoner is mostly right.  I am a scientist, not an architect, so my comments are related to the Designer set of tools. (Yes, I know Nemestchek has abandoned all fields except architecture/landscape).  After I spent a month, fiddling with the buggy VW/Mojave, I finally reloaded VW from scratch, which seems to have fixed the crashing, hanging, and dead commands.

Here are some of the commands that worked some of the time, but not others: (VW18 sp 6/Mojave / 2013 MBP, 2.6 Ghz, 16GB, 1TB SSD)

1. Add solids

2. Subtract solids

3. Push Pull

For example, these objects are obviously symmetric.  On the horn part, I went down the left set of edges doing a fillet.  Worked OK, except refused to work in one spot.  I then started down the right side in the same order, same tool, same settings.  It would not fillet any edge.

My solution?  Cut the horn in half vertically along the long axis, copy and reverse the side, then join the two halves back together.  Time wasted - about two hours trying every trick in the book until that one worked.  This shoddy behavior has been going on for years - all versions of Mac OS and VW.  I have sent numerous files to Nemeschek for fixing, which they do.  But I am tired of the money rat race for no fixes to very old problems. 

With all due respect to VW, you might wanna check out Rhino for this type modeling

HA

>>our office is planning to change to one of the big and really reliable cad software houses

If it were only as easy as that. I tried switching and spent months with Solidworks and some days with Rhino and found that especially SW was more buggy and unreliable than VW with all sorts of limitations and tools that did not work.

I agree that VW could do a lot better and offer more in the annual upgrades… I can't remember when there was a "must have" tool or release, but regrettably, I have not found something better.

D

7 hours ago, BenG said:

@MaWi 

1. Add solids

2. Subtract solids

3. Push Pull

Hi BenG

One of my friends is Inventor and designer and he loves Vectorworks. For him Vectorworks has the perfect mix from 3d functionality and simplicity.

Incidentally, Nemetschek has never said that Vectorworks is only developed further for architecture or landscape. And f.ex. it is precisely in Spotlight that Vectorworks is the world leader.

Back to your shoe horn: For the back part you need from my point of view less than one minute:

- 2 extrudes with different radius

- 1 hemisphere

- 1 Shell Solid

- 1 Chamfer Edge

For the front part you have two different objects:

- One object as counterpart to the back part (modeling like the back part)

- The horn

For the horn you can use the CSG Modeling System, NURBS or Subdivision. If you don't have experience with NURBS and Subdivisions your should first watch a webinar or some Youtube-Videos. 

In my simplified-test I used CSG with a Extrude along Path.

Best regards, Marc

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-24 um 00.47.05.png

• Like 2

Hi @Ben G

Back in 2013 I did a lot of 3D modelling using Vectorworks and encountered many instances where fillet edge and other 3D modelling commands seemed to fail without reason, but what I learned was that there are a lot of geometrical constraints that aren't easily communicated to the eye; physical realities that make what is being asked impossible and that it takes some analysis to realise why. Sometimes the reason was that I'd drawn relying too much on mouse-precision which would result in surfaces that looked like they were 5mm wide, then they were 4.998 mm wide making a 5mm fillet/chamfer etc impossible. Sometimes the sequence of operations were critical to the outcome and sometimes the methods I'd used to construct objects created edges that didn't quite connect tangentially. And so on with many other types of unappreciated constraints with other commands and operations. 

Edited by Jeremy Best

Jeremy,

You are right.  I have done the same thing - made the same mistakes.  So, I try to keep that in mind as I draw.  For example, I start with small fillets and if they take, I increase them up to what I want.  But when one side will take fillets and the other identical side won’t, I don’t know what the cause is.  When Push/Pull won't work, but will when I simply change the view, there is something screwy going on.  Many times joined edges are not flush when they were drawn flush.  I guess an accuracy problem.  PP may or may not fix it, but I have been able to use PP to pull the surface way out, and then it will properly make them flush. However, I have used PP to pull a surface out, then it quits working - wont go in or out.

Over the years I have learned a number of work arounds and things to try, but it is still very frustrating to waste hours on things that should work. 

sane set up, I am getting beach balls when selecting drawing label in annotations, also anytime I touch some of the parametric objects like table with chairs getting it to, sometimes I return to viewport and info box is still showing table as seated object.  But its not consistent, still trying to figure out what causes it.

VW 2019 and Mojave need better graphics and CPU.  Beach ball is mainly graphics card related.  Close all other windows including Safari, Preview and Mail. Try running no other apps at all apart from VW and it will be somewhat better until you upgrade the Mac

Edited by SVA Architects
Just now, SVA Architects said:

VW 2019 and Mojave need better graphics and CPU.  Beach ball is mainly graphics card related.  Try running no other apps at all apart from VW and it will be somewhat better until you upgrade the Mac

And also Network issues with your server. SMB or AFP and the naming of shared folders on the networked drive can also cause you beachballs.

29 minutes ago, hh_berlin said:

i've had fabulous experiences with switching from mac AFP to the (reworked, new) SMB: mounting the server and accessing files is much faster. on my synology station, just setting to only offer SMB and the same in vectorworks. 

Intriguing post but can you please explain what you are running, on what and how???...

We are also making this step, reluctantly it has to be said, since we have no issues under AFP but the move to Mojave is certainly putting us under pressure from IT support to change to SMB.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

The trouble we have is that most of our clients are not in a position to update all workstations to Mojave and VW2019 at the same time.

of course:  imac 21'' 2014 fusion drive - running vectorworks 2019 on mojave - on synology in menu fileservices i deactivated afp and activated smb with maximum opportunity to smb3 in menu options. i followed a german blog about serverconnections synology to mac for mac os higher than high sierra.

before i had the problem that mounting under afp always were very slow and time was passing by by waiting for files being displayed.

since changing to smb in general, even using project sharing is much faster - and the connection to the server got a boost.

for me it worked. try it. for me it worked well. small office with 4 clients.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:30 AM, SVA Architects said:

VW 2019 and Mojave need better graphics and CPU.  Beach ball is mainly graphics card related.  Close all other windows including Safari, Preview and Mail. Try running no other apps at all apart from VW and it will be somewhat better until you upgrade the Mac

I'm running an iMac Pro 64 gigs RAM with the pro vega 64. It better not be the GPU card. As a sole practitioner, I need to be able to keep multiple programs open at the same time as I jump between many apps. Your suggestion doesn't make sense nor should a software require more then the top of the line machine.

• Like 1