line-weight

VW2018 SP2: everything becomes invisible when editing symbol

Question

See the attached screen recording.

When I attempt to enter a 3d symbol to edit it - all the components become invisible. They are still "there" as they highlight under the cursor. Those components which are extrudes: editing the extrude renders the polygon visible.

If I edit the same symbol via the resource browser, the same does not seem to happen.

Also: the symbol's name does not appear in the OIP as I think it ought to.

(These problems are arising in a file which has been converted from 2017)

vw3dsymbol.mov

18 answers to this question

Have you tried dropping the graphics settings in preferences down to "Best Performance and Compatibility"? That sometimes works for me.

7 hours ago, markdd said:

Have you tried dropping the graphics settings in preferences down to "Best Performance and Compatibility"? That sometimes works for me.

That doesn't seem to make any difference.

Try turning on Unified View. In your video it looks like its turned off.

Please post a file with that symbol in it and I can take a look.

3 hours ago, markdd said:

Try turning on Unified View. In your video it looks like its turned off.

Ah - turning on unified view sorts it.

I'm not sure I understand why. Maybe I need to do some homework.

9 minutes ago, JimW said:

Please post a file with that symbol in it and I can take a look.

In light of unified view having seemingly solved things - would you still like me to post a file?

If that worked, then no worries. I never turn it off any more personally, always forget to check that.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

If that worked, then no worries. I never turn it off any more personally, always forget to check that.

Its still turning itself off quite often in VW2018. I know its doing it because I've disabled the keyboard command and have never manually used the menu command to turn it off.

Kevin

14 hours ago, line-weight said:

Also: the symbol's name does not appear in the OIP as I think it ought to.

@JimW

I've realised that turning off UV doesn't solve this side issue ^

Additionally, I seem to have a situation where an object (a symbol within a group) does the "invisible" thing when in a top/plan pane, with unified view *on*. Turning UV off makes it appear, but then the other pane gets messed up.

And going in to edit the 3d component of some symbols, but not all, I am inexplicably thrown into a different render mode and projection

(I am working in openGL/perspective, double click to edit a symbol, and suddenly I am in orthogonal/wireframe)

What a mess.

In that case, get that file directly to tech support and have them take a look, rather than just the symbol.

I've tried copying the symbol into a new file; the problem remains. Attached with this message if anyone wants to see if they can replicate.

Go to saved view called "perspective view"

You'll get an OpenGL view of a 3 panel sliding window, consisting of some grouped elements, some of which are symbols. Go into the group and double click on either the middle or right hand window panel to edit the 3d component of those symbols. For me, this throws me into an orthogonal/wireframe view.

(I've not yet been able to replicate the problem I was having with objects disappearing in a top/plan view multi pane.)

vwsymbol.vwx

On 12/5/2017 at 7:27 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

Its still turning itself off quite often in VW2018. I know its doing it because I've disabled the keyboard command and have never manually used the menu command to turn it off.

Kevin

Do you use Saved Views? If so check them. It is possible/probable that you have one or more Views that are set to turn off Unified View.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Do you use Saved Views? If so check them. It is possible/probable that you have one or more Views that are set to turn off Unified View.

Yes, I have discovered this has been causing some (but not all) of my problems.

I notice similar problems when Editing Extrudes.

The surrounding geometry disappears when panning view, or better

will not be drawn in areas which come new into panned view.

Or in different words, when you shake your view by panning you will

lose about 80% of surrounding geometry but not all.

Switching "Show other objects while in edit mode" off/on will make

all geometry reappear - until you pan again.

Edited by zoomer

Editing in containers is just a mess these days. If anything, its gotten worse in VW2018. The new think I've noticed is that VW constantly switches the plane mode from Screen Plane to Automatic, especially when you enter into Symbols or Symbols nested in Groups. VW should never switch the plane mode if I've set it manually, ever.

Kevin

These are all things I can't remember having been annoyed from in VW 2015 and 2016 times.

(20016 was the corruption of Cameras for me)

But no snapping, selection, visibility and object coordinate system issues.

Is that true or just my distorted perception of the past ?

I also feel that it has gotten worse, although it's hard to be sure, because maybe I am also using VW in different ways.

But at the moment 2018 does feel very glitchy in general. I'm half considering going back to 2017.