ericjhberg

Railing Fence Tool - Corner Posts

Question

I really like the new railing/fence tool. It is a dramatic improvement over the previous tool.

With that said, one thing that could use fixing is the handling of corner posts. If you are using a square post, the tool automatically rotates the corner posts to mediate the angle of the corner, rather than realistically squaring up with either the entering line or the exiting line. This is not a realistic application. For example a fence/railing with square posts that jogs frequently at 90 degrees. The corner posts are all at 45 degrees to the entering/exiting lengths of fence.

Another improvement to this tool would be the option to offset the posts from the panels. Often fences have posts on the inside or outside of panels and not directly centered in the line of the fence. The posts should serve as the center of the fence line, but the paneling should be able to be offset to one side or another. In this case, this should also better support the ability to create top, middle, and bottom rails to support an offset fence panel. Think basic vertical picket solid wood fence.

3 answers to this question

I am sure others who don't share the Aus/NZ handrail / fence tool would love to have it as it does all of these things and many more with lots of fence configurations.

I'm using the fence tool and having the same issue with the corner posts rotating to 45 degrees. 

Also within the frame/panel attributes, frame bars don't appear to work independently from each other. I wanted to have horizontal slats at 10mm spacing and vertical slats at 200mm spacing for structure.

The ability to add gates (in the same way as adding doors to walls) would be really useful.

• Like 1