Child objects of Extrudes, EAPs, not taking class of parent

grant_PD

Question

I'm working through a file and had a bunch of stuff disappearing, reappearing on me that was really frustrating. I did some digging and realized that the previous author had done the initial shape drawing in an obscure class, and then created extrusions or EAPs from those shapes. Those 3d objects then were classed appropriately. But if one turns off the class that the 2d shapes were created in, the 3d objects also turn off.

Is there any logic to WHY the original objects should not inherit the parent's class? Shouldn't it be that the 2d object ALWAYS inherits the parent's class, thus avoiding said confusion? I can think of no reason why this shouldn't be the case (ie, I can think of no reason why I would want to intentionally class this way).

11 answers to this question

Grant,

Was the file originally created in an older version of VW? There was a version that behaved as you described. It was short lived as I think this issue was addressed in a service pack. I believe versions before it ignored the class of the source objects and versions after that force the source objects and the resulting object into the same. I remember asking the same question as you when it started happening.

Kevin

The original file was in an older version, but has since been resaved to a new version. I just tried it with a new file and it does the same thing. Perhaps turning off the class no longer affects the extrude, but I still don't see how anyone would want to make the child a different class than the parent.

Interesting......

If you reassign the class of the parent object it changes the class of the source objects which is what I would expect.

If the class of the parent and the source objects are different and you turn off the class of the source objects the object will disappear. The exceptions is if there are source objects assigned to multiple classes....

As you say, I'm not sure when I would want to do this. It seems very messy to me.

Kevin

This still happens for me in 2017 as well. The issue arises when you have a 2D shape assigned to a particular class, and have a different Active Class when you go to make the extrude. The parent extrude is assigned to the Active Class while the child 2D shape stays on its original class. This is messy. The child shape(s) should be reassigned to the Active Class as well.

Currently, as soon as you reassign the extrude to another class in the OIP then the child shape follows along and the problem goes away, as Kevin describes.

I just realized this also happens with Sweeps and other container-based objects.

If this is a working-as-designed feature, I'm not fond of it. It's caused me issues as well, particularly when trying to use class attributes on the parent objects.

I thought this was a new 2017 "feature".

Never noticed that before.

Now, if you create 2D geometry inside an Extrude Edit Mode it will use the active Class.

Which will likely be another Class than the Extrude itself.

I think this makes much sense in Symbols but I don't see any sense in 2D Geometry of

Extrudes having a different Class or Attributes.

I see this as a feature rather than a problem, at least for extrudes. It's similar to classing in symbols.  It does require awareness of the drawing's classing system to keep all visibilities under control. But that's normal.

An extrude object can contain several source objects assigned to separate classes. The resulting extrude object can be assigned to yet another class. This multi source extrude therefore can contain elements with different attributes, eg colors, controllable via class definitions. Ungroup destroys the "container" extrude leaving the separate extrude objects.

Admittedly, same can be accomplished via separate extrudes of separate objects, and then grouping them.  So if this, for extrudes, is a bug, and it gets fixed, I can workaround. But for sure don't change this behavior for Groups or symbols.  If I create a group or symbol from a bunch of objects in several classes, I don't want them reassigned to the active class.

I typically draw in None class and reassign classing as needed. My None class is not Use at creation, and is set to No fill.  If None class is active, and I make an extrude, then the extrude will be in None (no fill) class. But if the source object(s) are in, say RedFill class, the extrude will render red.  That works for me.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
symbol
9 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

An extrude object can contain several source objects assigned to separate classes. The resulting extrude object can be assigned to yet another class. This multi source extrude therefore can contain elements with different attributes, eg colors, controllable via class definitions. Ungroup destroys the "container" extrude leaving the separate extrude objects.

Interesting. I had no idea this was possible. I just tried it and it works to a point. If you update the attributes of a class of a contained object they do not update unless you enter/exit the extrude. Its the inconsistency that I consider a problem. If if was fully functional I would probably use it too.

Kevin

I hadn't any intention and didn't test so far, if multi classed objects in Extrudes

will keep their multi classed appearance like in a Symbol.

I work with class assignments only, to have colors and mainly RW Materials.

And I realized that these will be overwritten and only the Extrude's RW Material

will be used.

So that new feature is at least not finished.

If the users majority thinks that behavior is needed for Extrudes - well, do it (but right)

Then I have to better concentrate when creating or working with Extrudes.

If not, or if it currently works as designed already,

I would prefer to have the old Extrudes behavior.

(Especially given the fact that since 2017 I have massive origin and rotation problems when

cut and pasting Elements between (just copies ! of original Extrudes)

On 3/19/2017 at 11:02 AM, Andy Broomell said:

Currently, as soon as you reassign the extrude to another class in the OIP then the child shape follows along and the problem goes away, as Kevin describes.

So now I'm working in a file where this is NOT happening and it's driving me nuts.

I have a bunch of Extrudes that I want to be on the "Panels" class. The child Polylines are on the None class. No matter how many times I reassign the Extrudes to different classes, the Polylines are staying on the None class. I should be able to assign the objects to the Panels class and have both the parent Extrudes and child Polylines follow along. I've attached the file in case anyone would like to poke around. The shapes should turn red if successful.

My only solution right now is to enter each Extrude and reassign the Polyline's class manually. Urgh...

ExtrudeClassBug.vwx

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

My only solution right now is to enter each Extrude and reassign the Polyline's class manually. Urgh...

I just noticed this problem yesterday too. I see this as a bug.

Well actually it was slightly different to this - the fill color of the parent object wouldn't change until the child object's color was changed. Neither object's class was using ByClass settings.

Edited by bcd