Kevin McAllister

Fix editing within all container objects

Question

On 10/5/2016 at 1:43 AM, Andy Broomell said:

Regarding Paste in Place... The only time where it makes sense for something to paste into a "different place" than on the designer layer is when Pasting-in-Place into a Symbol.

I've been meaning to someday post about this.  I understand that Symbols need their own internal origin (and some symbols (certain types) I will even save using the files 0,0 origin so that I can cut & paste-in-place into and out of the symbol).  But it really seems like so many other objects, such as particularly Auto Hybrids and Solids (Additions, etc.) should share the file's 0,0 origin exactly the same way that Groups do, including after being flipped, rotated or moved: after all, they are NOT symbols, and their "definitions" are not shared with any other instances (or duplicates) of themselves.  If I've flipped an Auto Hybrid or a Solid, I want to work with it as it now relates to the rest of its environment, not as it did relate to the rest of its environment before I flipped it.  VWIS138

On 11/2/2016 at 5:06 AM, line-weight said:

Agreed, this issue makes autohybrids almost unusable for me - the paste-in-place problem plus the fact that they can't contain groups makes editing them very difficult in anything other than a very basic model.

If I want to work on an Auto Hybrid, I'm now in the habit of saving its settings, ungrouping it, working with its geometry as desired, and then recreating the Auto Hybrid.  Why isn't that efficient and productive?!  Just kidding.  But for me, the benefits of Auto Hybrids outweigh these additional steps.  Groups inside Auto Hybrids would be nice.

2 hours ago, willofmaine said:

If I want to work on an Auto Hybrid, I'm now in the habit of saving its settings, ungrouping it, working with its geometry as desired, and then recreating the Auto Hybrid.  Why isn't that efficient and productive?!  Just kidding.  But for me, the benefits of Auto Hybrids outweigh these additional steps.  Groups inside Auto Hybrids would be nice.

I do the same thing 😑

• Like 1

On 10/4/2016 at 4:13 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

Things shouldn't lose their snaps.

I'm constantly losing the ability to snap when working in 3D in containers.  I have found that if I temporarily switch the view - say from a front view to a right isometric and back again - I get my snaps back (though not for long - maybe 'til I switch commands?).  Actually, usually, I'll randomly punch a bunch of numbers on the numeric keypad and rapidly flail through a bunch of views while sputtering foul language, but, that extreme probably isn't necessary...  Just switching the view once seems to help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willofmaine said:

I'm constantly losing the ability to snap when working in 3D in containers.  I have found that if I temporarily switch the view - say from a front view to a right isometric and back again - I get my snaps back (though not for long - maybe 'til I switch commands?).  Actually, usually, I'll randomly punch a bunch of numbers on the numeric keypad and rapidly flail through a bunch of views while sputtering foul language, but, that extreme probably isn't necessary...  Just switching the view once seems to help.

The snapping has gotten progressively worse, especially within containers nested in other containers. I'm not sure why its deteriorated so much but there's a lot of extra exiting/reentering containers or changing views in my workflow now to try and make it work.

Kevin

• Like 2

I'm bumping this wish. It still applies to VW2019 which is the same and perhaps slightly worse.

Editing in symbols is definitely worse in VW2019 but it may just be new bugs associated with the addition of the 2d Component functionality. I've temporarily resorted to cutting and pasting my 3d symbol geometry outside the symbol, editing it and then pasting it back into the symbol.

Kevin

• Like 1

We're a few months into 2019 and I still encounter bugs every single day related to container objects. Will they ever be fixed? I love Vectorworks but damn, I'm getting really frustrated...

I try to submit bugs when I can, but honestly if I filed every time I encountered something, I'd spend more of my day filing bugs than actually getting work done. 😞

• Like 4