JoshW

referenced layers spontaneously move origin

60 posts in this topic

@gfp38Try this. each of your exrefs have the same reference point i presume. Push 0 on num pad to reset each reference original. Re set the reference point 0,0 point to each referenced original and close each one. do this one at a time till all have been done. Then open the drawing with all the references attached and they (hopefully) will all be in the correct location.

HTH

Thanks Alan. I think this only happens when someone updates a drawing on a PC, whereas most of us use Macs. The drawing pack is fairly large and then I hate to think what would happen to all the annotations and sheet layers.

On 26/06/2017 at 9:29 AM, anton5 said:

is the layers rotated to '0' degrees when updating the referenced link?

kind regards anton

No rotated plans I'm afraid.

Than prior to updating the references, set the rotation to '0', than update reference, and re-set to the normal rotation, this should solve the issue of the skipping around viewports, at least it did for us. we found this solution by coincidence.

kind regards a

This is an unbelievably frustrating problem we have encountered throughout the last 10+ years and never seems to get resolved.  For all the time we have spent correcting drawings that have randomly had referenced files shifted, Vectorworks technically owes us money.

We also suffered from this issue recently - a colleague told me about it just after updated to SP2. I was convinced it must be something we had done - some sort of reference screwup changing between new and old referencing styles or some such - but we never worked it out.

After reading these posts, I'm inclined to say it must be the same issue. Can it really be true that this has been occurring since 2013 and is still not resolved??

Scratching our heads, we've been wondering if it's because we have Macs and PCs working with these referenced files. Maybe the references behave themselves with a Mac only or PC only VW team? Nonetheless, it's unacceptable.

Just now, gfp38 said:

Scratching our heads, we've been wondering if it's because we have Macs and PCs working with these referenced files. Maybe the references behave themselves with a Mac only or PC only VW team? Nonetheless, it's unacceptable.

@gfp38- I can confirm we use a Mac only environment in our office, so mixing windows and OSX machines doesn't appear to the cause of the issue (in our case anyway).

just experienced this problem for the first time with VWX 2017 SP5. Never experienced this problem before other than sometimes when Workgroup References get erroneously selected to 'Ignore source user origin'. This is occurring while Workgroup Referencing layers from a Shared Project base plan file into individual sheets and I confirmed none of the referenced files selected the 'Ignore source user origin' option.

I have no idea how the origin shifted from internal origin on the referenced file but the problem is that fixing that on the referenced file does not automatically fix the issue on all the other drawing sheet files. I still need to go into all those other files and do the same.

Vectorworks: once again I have no idea how this happened - whether "user error" or a bug but in any case even if due to user error there need to be significantly better safeguards to prevent a single miskey or typo from having such a significant impact on the organization and structure of a drawing set. Things like this need to be "bullet proof" and not at "mercy of a sneeze".

something else I noticed is that when you go to Tools / Origin / User Origin... (or just Command+9) the default selection if you hit 'OK' is 'Set User Origin to next mouse click'. Unless you immediately select 'Cancel' wherever you happen to click next is you new User Origin location.

I think that is an absolutely horrible arrangement for a default setting. Usually when I hit 'OK' at a window like this and have not changed any of the settings I assume no change to any of the settings. If someone were to inadvertently hit the Command+9 shortcut and didn't notice otherwise that can easily become a very costly mistake. If the 'Disable dragging for the User Origin button' is supposed to prevent that from happening it definitely does not work.

I think this is the software equivalent of bad ergonomic design and Vectorworks should seriously re-think it. Hitting 'OK' at a selection like this should always maintain the current default whether origin set to Internal Origin or different User Origin. At the very least there should be a Confirmation prompt before allowing this change. Considering the impact this is not a change you would want to make on a whim.