Out of Memory Rubbish!

Can someone please explain the useless, irritating and seemingly unnecessary warning that a file cannot be saved due to a lack of memory however saving to another location and then choosing the same disk in the same directory works fine?! Where's the logic to that?

If you abort the save it creates a temporary file in the same location!? Apparently there's memory for that!!?!!!

Come on!

Edited by Vincent C
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is silly that we can only access 1 processor core and about 2.5GB of RAM for general VW usage (the exception being Renderworks which uses every ounce of grunt your machine has). This is the same issue that Adobe had converting their software over to 64bit.

We can hope that NV releases this in the next version, but this lack certainly makes for perpetuating the myth that VW is for small projects. I suspect this has been exacerbated by VW reliance on Quicktime which is not all 64bit, and trying to keep Windows and Mac at parity, which makes for a powerful cocktail of quagmires and delays.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it has anything to do with my particular file. It seems that this new 2013 bug is happening prolifically across the board unusually often to many (most?) users. Personally I have a feeling that there's a squirrel in the code somewhere that been syphoning memory for years - and this version it's grown up with a new appetite and new feeding habits.

I've never seen this type of error message on any other version of any other software.

I have a feeling that there's a squirrel in the code somewhere that been syphoning memory

:) I've felt this, too. In my experience it seems to be linked to certain files. Once a file gets infested with squirrels, it's hard to get rid of them. But, once that project is over, I'm squirrel free for a while.

I do think its worth reporting. Someone from Nemetschek contacted me about this thread. They are actively trying to track down the squirrel. The more information they have, the more likely they are to find it. As an example -

- what type of sheet layer viewports were you rendering? (single render mode, dual?) Its almost always related to dual render mode viewports in my case, where the background is rendering in custom Renderworks and the foreground is rendering in Hidden Line. There may be other types of viewports in the file too but I never see this problem until I add more dual render mode viewports.

- is it a Mac only problem or do PC users see it too (look at the signatures in this thread, they are all Mac systems)?

- are there other signs the error is about to manifest. In my case I had a few viewports render only the hidden line portion but think they were updated.

- in my case the viewports seem to render through and the error occurs at the end. Often the file will save successfully even with the memory error and the file save error.

Kevin

It has nothing to do with how much RAM you have, but rather how much RAM VW can adress. You can have 128GBs of RAM, but it will not matter since VW can only currently utilize 2.5GBs - or there abouts. My understanding is that VWs is somehow fundamentally built on top of Quicktime which is a 32bit program and always will be. I have been told by an inside source that decoupling VWs from Quicktime and launching a 64Bit program is a top priority but has proven difficult. Probably somewhere in your file is some memory hogging bug / corruption that is burring through the 2.5GB. This problem drives me nuts. Keep your fingers crossed for 2014.