Vectorworks Crashing

gangotti

Question

I just updated to 2024 v4 and now the software keeps crashing when I try to open a file.  I have restarted the computer several times even powering it off completly and letting it sit for a minute and still crashes when I open a file.  I was hoping this update would fix the issue with the settings box not resizing in the object info pallet, but this has made the software 100% unusable.  Is there a way to revert back to the previous version?

Beyond Frustrated at this point.

I have sent an email for help.  Nothing seems to be working I was able to get it to finally open a new drawing, but it is glacially slow compared to before the update.  Also according to the Windows task manager the Vectorworks program is using almost 4.1GB of Memory which seems like a lot.  I will update the post once I know more.  Thinking of uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, but I am waiting for support to reach out first.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Hi Pete. Just a fui, that didnt work, thankfully I had a full VW24 sp2 install which i reinstalled and then updated back to 3.1 which is working fine. I'll just wait until I see news of sp4 being fixed or sp 5 coming out.

Cheers

• Like 1

It's not regional, it's the update itself. Since the update my VW crashes also, and when it doesn't, it is so slow you would think it's frozen. After finally opening a file that worked the day before (which took about 40 minutes) I finally gave up since I couldn't navigate the file at all. I have the latest Studio Driver from nVidia installed, I will try and install the Gaming one since it's newer, and if that doesn't work I will delete the AIvisualizer as someone suggested, and if that doesn't work I will install the previous update.

quick edit : removing generateimage.vlb worked like a charm. No AI for us yet, it seems.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, gangotti said:

@PNWPaulSame thing happened to me and removing the GenerateImage.vlb from the plugin folder fixed it for me.

Thanks for this tip, it does seem to have at least worked enough to get the program open without crashing...! I can't get U4a, wouldn't re-download update saying not enough space and also unknown error.

• Like 1

I have gone back to V3 which was stable.  I only kept V4 for an hour or so.  It was clear things were not the same.

I don't mind the teething process with VW's, but this was different.  Things froze quickly, but after the second freeze, my new Mac Laptop rebooted....on its own.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @MacIntyr I'm sorry you're having these problems. Your current situation sounds very unusual. I think the best thing rather than out here in the forum is to go to the Customer Portal and click the support link at the top and fill out a Support Request Form. That way it'll be in the system with more eyes on it than possibly here.

Previous versions can be downloaded via the Vectorworks Updater>Advanced>Download Update. 

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 2
On 3/14/2024 at 2:52 AM, Peter Neufeld. said:

Hi @PNWPaulThe New Zealanders couldn't open the program at all but what you're experiencing is different. Please let us know if removing the GenerateImage.vlb from the plugin folder fixes the issue.

Cheers,

Peter

Hello. I encountered a similar issue. After updating Vectorworks (VW), it became incredibly slow and unusable. To address this, I updated my Nvidia driver and deleted the “GenerateImage.vlb” file. These steps helped, but unfortunately, I’m now unable to use AI visualization 😞. To find out if the error was in the old drivers, I repaired VW, but the same super slow performance persisted. Interestingly, I discovered that when I turn off my Wi-Fi connection and relaunch VW, it works fine as expected. So, for now, my way is either deleting the file or keeping it and disabling the internet connection. 🛠️🔌.

I would like to try the new AI feature. So please let me know if any new hotfix comming 🙂 

Basic specs:

AMD ryzen 7 5800H

Nvidia Geforce 3070
16GB RAM
Windows 10

Hope this help you guys.

Hello @gangotti,

Please contact your local technical support through your customers portal. 

customers.vectorworks.net

In the mean time I have seen some issues with Nvidia graphic card drivers that would cause this. See if you are using an Nvidia graphics card and update your graphics drivers. It might fix the issue straight away. 

56 minutes ago, gangotti said:

I have sent an email for help.  Nothing seems to be working I was able to get it to finally open a new drawing, but it is glacially slow compared to before the update.  Also according to the Windows task manager the Vectorworks program is using almost 4.1GB of Memory which seems like a lot.  I will update the post once I know more.  Thinking of uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, but I am waiting for support to reach out first.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Hello again @gangotti try one thing for me, remove the GenerateImage.vlb file from the Vectorworks Plugins folder.  We saw a problem with the AI Visualizer yesterday but only sometimes on Windows 10.  Curious if that is a factor at all.

@JuanP nothing - I double click and get the busy cursor for a couple of seconds and thats it. I've rebooted and also done a clean install of VW from the customer portal after doing the update from the updater. This is happening on my office and home PC's where 3.1 was working perfectly.

• Administrator

@Ross Harris From your signature, I will assume you are running Windows 11. Close Vectorworks, go to the program files, look for the Vectorworks 2024 folder, double-click on the Vectorworks 2024 Updater, and click Advanced Options and Repair. After finishing this process, try relaunching Vectorworks. I hope that helps.

Hi Andy,

Ross has already renamed his Vectorworks user folder which was the next thing I was going to recommend. I have now suggested that he run the uninstaller from the Vectorworks folder and reinstall using the full installer which you can get from the Customer Portal. I have also asked him the send his DxDiag file in case I can spot whether or not his NVIDEA GPU driver needs updating. This is highly unusual for this to happen of course.

Cheers,

Peter

Not yet.

You shouldn’t have to re-enter your serial. The uninstaller will ask whether or not you want to delete your user folder. I would suggest yes but with the proviso you back it up in case you have any templates or custom workspaces. You will need to show hidden files in order to find it. Click here for instructions for W10 and W11 users.

You will then need to navigate to the user folder which is:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2024 to find it.

Cheers,

Peter