REQUEST: Create a ‘Pinned’ forum topic about ‘Far Out’ objects & Internal Origin

rDesign

Question

Since this answer seems to require posting several times a week, it would be helpful if a Forum Administrator were to create a ‘pinned’ forum topic in the Troubleshooting Forum about Far Away Objects from Internal Origin, and why and how to troubleshoot them. Thanks.

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

I think VW should automatically throw a warning from the App when it recognizes such geometry ...

Pardon me,

your geometry and/or lost objects are far from internal Origin.

This can cause many (accuracy) issues.

Learn more ....

And my next recommendation ...

You have Unified View deactivated !

Are you sure what you are doing there ?

Don't show this message again [ ]

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

For now, I am just going to post this here (cribbed from Pat Stanford and others).

Objects far from Internal Origin

Do you have any objects far away from the internal origin?

1. Turn on all layers and classes (or if you have Design Layers at different scales, do each differently scaled Layer separately).
  2. Go to Top Plan and Select All:  Does the drawing zoom far away out? If so, you have objects far from origin which you will need to deal with.
  3. Repeat in elevation views (front/left/right/back) and / or 3D views to make sure you don't have something sitting far out in the Z direction.

If you discover any objects far from the origin, figure out what they are and remove them from the file. This includes any far out objects on referenced files. Imported survey files are common culprits, especially if they are georeferenced.

Any objects far from the internal origin (more than 5km) often cause rendering problems.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think VW should automatically throw a warning from the App when it recognizes such geometry ...

Pardon me,

your geometry and/or lost objects are far from internal Origin.

This can cause many (accuracy) issues.

Learn more ....

And my next recommendation ...

You have Unified View deactivated !

Are you sure what you are doing there ?

Don't show this message again [ ]

Jesus if we're going to be warned every time we convert an object into a Gereric Solid surely VW could do a far out objects warning as well... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

If you have ever wondered why outlier objects are an issue please watch this 11 minute movie made by @Julian Carr about it:

It was made a while ago so nowadays there are more options in the 'Advanced' section of the DWG/DXF Import Dialogue compared to the

'Centre after Import' option that Julian shows. 

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 2.32.48 pm.png

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1