2024 - Icons

HWood

Question

23 answers to this question

"Please please revert to the 2023 icons!"

No, no, no, a thousand times no!

Old Icons 2020-2023 RIP

Your life was cut short for the betterment of humanity

Hmmm.  This looks promising.  Maybe kudos are in order for the development team.

Perhaps I will download 2024 just to look at the interface.

Minor opinionated criticism from the icons in this post...

• Symbol insertion still looks too busy.
  • I find it odd the Texture Tool looks to have broken the monochromatic look with what looks like a paint roller skidding over some dog poo.
  • The Split tool would look much better as Illustrator's Slice icon which is a simple exacto blade looking outline.  Easier to recognized that current.

My only question.... did the hardscape icon get fixed?  I sure hope so.

My commentary from the last redesign...

"Oh, poor hardscape tool, what have they done to you?  You used to be this pretty little field of pavers surrounded by a border presented in plan view, now you look like an isometric version of a shoe from an old Atari game."

Edited by Jeff Prince

Quoting myself from 2020: "While I also dislike the aesthetics of the new graphics, the bigger problem I have is that they are harder to tell apart at a glance.  It's more of a functional issue than an aesthetic one.   I find myself having to look around for tools rather than heading straight to them as I did with the more distinctive icons in previous versions.  An unnecessary hiccup to interrupt my workflow. "  

I think 2024 is better than 2020-2023, and I can't even remember the 2019 icons anymore.  However, most are still not distinctive and clear enough for my taste.  A notable exception are the 3D tools (e.g. extract surface) that have a splash of red that clearly identifies the tool.  Maybe future iterations can build on this, even using different colors to identify different families of tools.

-09202023-0418PM.png.bc126c8f54c49edbfd19e90422c876e3.png

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

Take a look at the Quick Prefs icons. Use Layer Colors is my favorite.

Oh man, I spoke too soon.

The basic tools look okay, but those tool set icons actually look worse and are harder to read.

It's like someone over there is intentionally sabotaging things.

Why do they make these changes in a vacuum and force them upon us?

This UI would be better served by a command line like AutoCAD.

Edited by Jeff Prince
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

Take a look at the Quick Prefs icons. Use Layer Colors is my favorite.

It took me a bit but I eventually decoded what it's meant to signify. A paintbrush, rainbow, or painter's palette shape might have been a little - but not much - better.

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 1

I keep looking for a setting that is making the whole interface in black and white but after reading this, HELP!!  It is not just the icons but everything is in black and white.  Is there no way to add the color back in via settings?

On 1/29/2024 at 3:34 PM, LCarm said:

I keep looking for a setting that is making the whole interface in black and white but after reading this, HELP!!  It is not just the icons but everything is in black and white.  Is there no way to add the color back in via settings?

Check the yin & yang circle that's black & white in the screenshot (on mouse hover) but will be blue & white if it's selected:

Screenshot2024-01-31at8_52_16AM.png.c0bc9b58e0a4e7d16741111ad1ad3f26.png

51 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Check the yin & yang circle that's black & white in the screenshot (on mouse hover) but will be blue & white if it's selected:

Screenshot2024-01-31at8_52_16AM.png.c0bc9b58e0a4e7d16741111ad1ad3f26.png

It is actually the global accent color of Windows set outside of Vectorworks at Personaization>Colours>Accent Colour.  Thank you, because trying to figure out what you were talking about with the blue made me realize that i could change this from the super electric red that buzzed my eyes every time I looked at it!  

Also I just realized that my Windows preferences menus use British spellings?  Was it always like that?  Is it just me?

Edit: typos

Edited by jmcewen
  • Like 1

Yeah the whole UI seems to be worse frankly. Its not too bad on my desktop, but on laptop (16:10 ratio 2.8k screen), the UI menu is significantly harder to use than vwx 2023.

For instance look at the attached. Things that used to be the right size have got bigger or smaller, and I'm unable to find any customisability for icon sizes in order to get them to work well with varying display resolutions / sizes / ratios. I can't be bothered to do a side by side with 2023, but please take my word the scaling and UI was better in every way I've highlighted as problematic in 2024.

Vectorworks 2024 feedback.png

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Asemblance said:

Yeah the whole UI seems to be worse frankly. Its not too bad on my desktop, but on laptop (16:10 ratio 2.8k screen), the UI menu is significantly harder to use than vwx 2023.

For instance look at the attached. Things that used to be the right size have got bigger or smaller, and I'm unable to find any customisability for icon sizes in order to get them to work well with varying display resolutions / sizes / ratios. I can't be bothered to do a side by side with 2023, but please take my word the scaling and UI was better in every way I've highlighted as problematic in 2024.

Vectorworks 2024 feedback.png

Have you tried with Control Size set to Small + View Bar in compact mode? VW Prefs General tab.

6 minutes ago, Asemblance said:

@Tom W. I wonder if this is a Mac functionality we don't have on Vectorworks for PC...

This is the options menu I have:

image.png.0a75b1070e53b7b949e43a15a40ed3ef.png

Vectorworks - if this is the case, please give us the same functionality for PC!

Apologies you’re absolutely right it’s Mac only! I vaguely remember learning this at the time but obviously completely forgot… That’s a bit crap. I am very fond of the small size option + would be unhappy not to have it.

• Like 1