Vectorworks 2024 Seems To Be Live Now......

Learn new features...

Finally start using Materials (now available for doors & windows)...

Rebuild Workspace...

Update Template...

And more...  

Good thing I have so much free time.

I'm hoping the new cabinet and viewport features will be complete and usable, because they look like they'll be huge improvements in the long run, making this annual ritual worth it.

2024 help system is live at https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/index.htm with new features listed at https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/LandingPage/New_features.htm

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 4

So far, in my limited usage I am happy to report that anecdotally it appears VWX 24 is much better at releasing memory after completing a render. If accurate, that's a refreshing change, yay!

Additionally, VWX 2023 documents, once imported, open quite snappily.

On my M1 Max MBP 32GB with its 16" screen, the refreshed UI at the small resolution appears basically fine for my old eyes. 

The refreshed icons themselves are generally an improvement over past years, tho some of them seem a conceptual reach -  the new "3D" icon for ex.

Gonna sit with the defaults for a bit but I am hoping I can rebuild the top bar, mostly to push things themgs around to where my eye expects them.

• Like 1

^ 100% agree.

I think I have to get used to to the Icons before I judge them.

I really liked the UI in teaser video.

But at first glance in real world some Icons looked not as reduced and simple

as I expected and some harder to read - for now.

But it seams, as I migrated my Workspace that I now have a mix of old and

new Icons. E.g.  the parent Icons in "Tool Sets" Palette are colored again.

Maybe because I rearranged them in the past.

(And I had to rearrange nearly all Menus and Tool Boxes for my needs)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, line-weight said:

So does this mean that Materials can now be used everywhere - or are there still some hold-out object types?

It looks like there are hold-out objects.  I looked at the Drilled Footing and Custom Cabinet tools and didn't see an option for Materials.  I assume these are legacy tools and I don't use them in my work.  They may be important to others.

The bigger issue for me relates to Stairs.  In the Graphic Attributes tab of the settings I see a Materials column, but no way to set the material for each item.  Am I missing something?  

Edited by E|FA
39 minutes ago, E|FA said:

The bigger issue for me relates to Stairs.  In the Graphic Attributes tab of the settings I see a Materials column, but no way to set the material for each item.  Am I missing something?  

Double click on the 3D row.

This is not new to VW2023 VW2024!

Edited by Tom W.
1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Double click on the 3D row.

Got it.  However, I'm not entirely an idiot: all of the 2D elements in 2023 had "2D" at the beginning of their names.  A bunch are gone in 2024.  I had looked at the Top Tread to try to add a Material. 

StairSettings-2023.thumb.png.9723458f685ad2bc3f709d78c9ac2c2e.pngStairSettings-2024.thumb.png.cf32eb7c314504176e63f4ea2b601b6f.png

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have 2023 SP7 and have downloaded VW2024, but how do I install it? It asks for a serial number, I put in the number I have, and I get an invalid serial number message. It is not invalid. I have paid my money. Why can't I install the new version? I can't find any "how to" information anywhere.

Any advice?

Mike

5 hours ago, MHBrown said:

I have 2023 SP7 and have downloaded VW2024, but how do I install it? It asks for a serial number, I put in the number I have, and I get an invalid serial number message. It is not invalid. I have paid my money. Why can't I install the new version? I can't find any "how to" information anywhere.

Any advice?

Mike

You'll need to log into the Service Select portal and get your updated serial number from there. VW has serial numbers specific to each new version.

Kevin