zoeageorg

Section viewport INCREDIBLY SLOW 2020 WHY!? Beyond cut plane

Question

I am getting so fed up of vectorworks being impossibly slow whenever i cut a section and want to display the objects beyond the cut plane. If i use hidden line, or turn up the sheet layer DPI or open gl quality

Ive attached one of my files if anyone wants to try looking

CW2 Barracks.vwx

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

I would imagine that some or most of the slowness may be caused by your project being so far from origin (0,0). See below.

image.png

Try correcting this and then see how performance of the file is.

Also, it looks like a DWG file may have been imported directly into you Vectorworks file. (Since I never know how other people create their DWG files, I prefer to not bring their objects into my otherwise healthy Vectorworks files.) Instead it is advisable to not import DWG files directly into your Vectorworks file but rather to import them into a "shuttle" file that can then be either be cleaned up for import into your Vectorworks file or saved as a Vectorworks file of its own to then reference into you Vectorworks file.

@zoeageorg It should certainly help. Give it a try and see what your results are. It's always a good idea to work close to origin.

If the file is still having performance issues I would recommend auditing it for problematic or overly complex items that may have come in with the DWG file. If you don't need any of those complex items it would be best to delete them. If you do need them but they are still overly complex, it would work worth simplifying them or replacing them with native-built Vectorworks objects.

@zoeageorg Please let us know if you need any further assistance with your Vectorworks file. If the file is still causing you issues after Neil's advice, please send us an email through to uktech@vectorworks.net and we would be happy to help. 

23 hours ago, zoeageorg said:

@Neil Barman i have 'set user origin to internal origin'

should that do the trick?

Try tools-origin- centre drawing on internal origin. Other things to check would be extents before and beyond cut plane. Get in touch with Uk tech if you need further assistance.

Hi @zoeageorg, I encounter users with this situation a lot. So often I've created linear instructions for users to correct what I call, 'far out objects.' I'll attach this for you below.

I'd like to add to @Neil Barman's comment about complex objects. Even one object - if geometrically complex enough - can have a big impact on certain operations such as rending in Hidden Line. Also, my tests indicate that objects that are cropped out of a Viewport are still part of the calculations performed, which can make rendering times seem disproportionate, but that's the way they have to be done. You can improve this situation though by moving objects outside your crop to another Design Layer or to a Class not featured in the Viewport - but maybe only do that if it suits your workflow/layout needs to do so. 

Tech Support Tutorial; Rectifying 'far out objects' - Written Guide.pdf

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, zoeageorg said:

I'm so fed up of vectorworks 2020. Its painfully slow, we have serious deadlines on a multi-million pound schools project and can't even look at a single elevation generated from the model in open GL. We have set all objects at origin set the user and internal origins to the same point,  purged the life out of the model and nothing works. Its garbage, I'm at a total loss. If we cant do BIM on a project efficiently we'll have no other choice but to move the whole company to another option.

I am getting so fed up of vectorworks being impossibly slow whenever i cut a section and want to display the objects beyond the cut plane. If i use hidden line, or turn up the sheet layer DPI or open gl quality

Ive attached one of my files if anyone wants to try looking

CW2 Barracks.vwx 21.24 MB · 7 downloads

8 hours ago, Redmodro said:

Hi Zoe

Firstly your file is watermarked as an education user. Are you an education user? If not please get in touch and we can discuss un watermarking the file for you. 

Also would you be able to post your system specifications on here as your file is incredibly responsive on my machine and I cannot recreate the same issues. Some of your layers have different scales (is this deliberate?) This might cause scaling issues with the model.

Additionally there is a large amount of 2d information that exists on the screen plane. I am not sure why this is the case as it appears to be a random selection of geometry text and screen grabs.

Please email in to UKTech@vectorworks.net and we can take a look at your file and your workflow.

Best wishes

Tom W