MikeB

Renderworks - Geometry not updating

So I started this post on in September of 2016, the thread was recently closed but this issues is not resolved

VW2019 SP2, both window and mac.  After initially using either final renderworks mode or the Realistic Exterior Renderworks style, subsequent updates to the geometry, either through editing geometry, adding geometry, deleting geometry, or simply by turning on or off existing layers, will not render in subsequent use of the renderworks engine.  the subsequent renderings go through the process, and you can see in the indirect lighting stage of the rendering that the changed geometry is not being considered by the rendering engine.  Somehow VW is retaining the old geometry and using that for the renderworks renderings.

Only fix is to save the file, quit and restart VW, but any further geometry changes again require a restart to render correctly after the first renderworks rendering is done after restart.

Very frustrating and a big waste of time.

26 minutes ago, MikeB said:

So I started this post on in September of 2016, the thread was recently closed but this issues is not resolved

VW2019 SP2, both window and mac.  After initially using either final renderworks mode or the Realistic Exterior Renderworks style, subsequent updates to the geometry, either through editing geometry, adding geometry, deleting geometry, or simply by turning on or off existing layers, will not render in subsequent use of the renderworks engine.  the subsequent renderings go through the process, and you can see in the indirect lighting stage of the rendering that the changed geometry is not being considered by the rendering engine.  Somehow VW is retaining the old geometry and using that for the renderworks renderings.

Only fix is to save the file, quit and restart VW, but any further geometry changes again require a restart to render correctly after the first renderworks rendering is done after restart.

Very frustrating and a big waste of time.

Hi @MikeB, the issue you are describing here is different than viewports turning black. Could you DM me your bug file or buglist the issue? (I'm not sure how users file bugs, though, perhaps through Jim?)

I didn't submit a bug file, not sure how to do that.

I guess my original thread got hijacked by the view-ports turning black issue.

3 minutes ago, MikeB said:

This is indeed what happened, the geometry discussion can continue here now and other issues will be kept separate.

Just now, MikeB said:

Hahah honestly, who knows? It started to become a 'report every problem with RW' thread which got very confusing. 😄 

You can send your file to me through the DM and I'll file a bug&look for a fix.

This just happened to me in 2019 SP2.

Rendered in the Design Layer, changed some things (textures), rendered in Design Layer again and changes were not reflected. Moved view around, and changes still not reflected.

Restarting fixed it.

Also, when I closed Vectorworks, I got a pop-up saying VW crashed, even though I closed it manually...

Nope. The years long issue is not resolved. The same is happening to me.

It's infuriating to have to keep closing VWX & open it again.

Vectorworks Inc. Can you see that the LHS column is missing in the final quality render? It's visible in the OpenGL mode.

It's like it cannot clear it's render cache.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.16.36.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.14.47.png

Edited by ConcourseDM

I'm having exactly this problem of geometry changes updating in open GL but not in renderworks. 

- Henry

VW2018 SP6 (Build 465771) (64 bit)

iMac (27" late 2013)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

24 GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

macOS Sierra V 10.12.6

Just to confirm my hardware spec so that Vectorworks tech can sort this out.

VW2019 SP2 (Build 463397)

MackBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4

Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MN

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

MacOS High Sierra v.10.13.6

Over to you now Vectorworks Inc. Please help as this is really slowing down our workflow.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by ConcourseDM
quoting from a company not personal POV

5 hours ago, ConcourseDM said:

Over to you now Vectorworks Inc. Please help as this is really slowing down our workflow.

This issue was already submitted to tech@vectorworks.net directly, or to your distributor? The forum is mainly for user interaction, it is not a formal support channel.

13 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

This issue was already submitted to tech@vectorworks.net directly, or to your distributor? The forum is mainly for user interaction, it is not a formal support channel.

It has now. Thanks.

• Like 1

re: model geometry not updating for rendtrworks. 

The problem I had occurred in a small file but I had 3 other VW files open at the same time, one being 600MB. After closing all files and restarting VW and only having one file open the problem went away. The problem could occur when multiple files are open or perhaps, with one large file? With just the one 600MB file open, renderworks was OK.

Henry

For any users on Vectorworks 2019 SP4 who are searching for info, updates on or confirmation of this problem: I have a user on VW2019 SP4 currently experiencing this problem. 

Edited by Jeremy Best
Contextual clarification