ericjhberg

Send Objects to Surface...works sometimes, but not always

Question

We often work with site models to visualize projects and there has always been an issue with sending items to the surface. Sometimes it works and other times, no matter what I try, it doesn't

Curious if anyone has determined best practices for this or experienced the same issue and have a work around?

14 answers to this question

What sort of item are you sending, buildings, trees, roads, site modifiers texture beds, entourage???

Doesn't matter, it happens on anything. Site models, extrudes, 3d polys, roads, site modifiers, plants, symbols, etc....

And again, not everytime...just sometimes. I cannot seem to determine the mitigating factor either.

Site model size doesn't seem to have anything to do it. I have had success with extremely large/complex site models, and failure with very simple site models.

Sharing the pain, maybe a workaround, but no real solution:

Send to Surface usually works for me. Sometimes, sending multiple objects contained in a Group, eg a group of custom tree symbols, placed on the ground plane, results in some of the trees making it to the correct elevations on the DTM, while other instances stay on the layer plane. Try again later - every item in the group will send to proper grades.

One thing I noticed is that these fails occur more often if a projector has been cabled to the CPU for an hour or so (Y'know, for a demo to an eager group of vwx explorers).  System and projector restart seem to get Send to Surface and other things working again.  Maybe multiple monitors/projectors start a slow crash?

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
better phrasing
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Send to Surface usually works for me. Sometimes, sending multiple objects contained in a Group, eg a group of custom tree symbols, placed on the ground plane, results in some of the trees making it to the correct elevations on the DTM, while other instances stay on the layer plane. Try again later - every item in the group will send to proper grades

I've definitely noticed the problems with sending groups to surface, so I try to ungroup everything prior. Doesn't mean it will work though, as I have learned.

The CPU thing is interesting since graphics processing shouldn't have any affect on a process working or not, but it may have something to do with crashes.

It is not the most efficient thing but to get around this CPU or GPU issue you may have to send the items individually.

Agreed, and I am currently doing just that...but, for some reason, within a number of objects sending to surface (834 to be exact) only some are working while others stay at 0.

Why some and not others? The site model covers the entire scope?

Not always, sometimes. For example, I am working with 3d polys currently. Many of the same exact size. 

My methodology of sending them to surface works on some, but sometimes, the very next, almost identical, object will not...?

I am also wondering if this is somehow tied to another random phenomena that I have noticed...

When using the stake tool on a site model to identify spot elevations, sometimes I will get a return of 0 immediately adjacent to a correct value set to the surface?

It is almost like there are holes of data missing within the site model that don't register in the send to surface command or in the stake object command?

I should note that the surface of the site model appears correctly, no holes.

Edited by ericjhberg
  • Like 1

That's interesting idea, but would be really hard to document.  The surface has blank spots or temporary/shifting blank spots.  Like rolling power outages and spotty cell phone coverage!

-B

• Like 1

I'm running up against this issue .... 3d symbols, some sent to the surface fine when I first tried, now they don't want to.

I believe this is still a BUG in 2019, If I "Send to surface" extrudes or generic solids that are in a group only one object goes to the surface and other time they both go if they were not duplicated geometry. Here"s a before and after shot.

Send to surface Group after.PNG

Send to surface Group before.PNG